Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
LucifersDog

Devils first line players

30 posts in this topic

I think JVB would have a bone to pick with Lou if he had that sort of mentality (re: already thinking about next season).

Even if they get swept in the first round, that's an additional two sellouts that pad JVB's pocket.

I don't know, I don't think the Devils are really in the position to give up second-rounders for rentals.  We may not like the statement made by Lou, but I think what he said by getting Sullivan for a seventh was "I brought in a guy who may help who basically cost me nothing in a 'what-the-hell' kind of way, but I'm not mortaging anything of major value for this team, because based off what I've seen, it's not going to happen this season, so why blow any assets to try?"  He won't say it, but I think he's already thinking 2013-14.  Doesn't mean he won't be happy if the Devils make the playoffs this season...I just think he wasn't going to invest too heavily in improving the 2013 Devils when he saw what we've seen. 

You are so right 100000000% right this is the mindset

I don't know, I don't think the Devils are really in the position to give up second-rounders for rentals.  We may not like the statement made by Lou, but I think what he said by getting Sullivan for a seventh was "I brought in a guy who may help who basically cost me nothing in a 'what-the-hell' kind of way, but I'm not mortaging anything of major value for this team, because based off what I've seen, it's not going to happen this season, so why blow any assets to try?"  He won't say it, but I think he's already thinking 2013-14.  Doesn't mean he won't be happy if the Devils make the playoffs this season...I just think he wasn't going to invest too heavily in improving the 2013 Devils when he saw what we've seen. 

I'm telling you, he's been thinking 13-14 all year. He knew prices would be high at the deadline like always, but with the cap coming down and buyouts coming, he thinks to himself, why waste picks and talent now when I could get a top 6 forward in the offseason without trading assets. I just have this gut feeling that none of the guys coming off a buyout are going to go balls to the wall for a huge contract again. I have a sense that they will sign for reasonable $$ and it'll be a little UFA coup for us.

I have 0 complaints about what Lou has done since the season started. He made A blunder in signing Sal. I disagreed with that and I think I was right, but not the worst thing that could have happened. He'll probably buy out Volch(fingers crossed) and then we're going to have some serious cap space.

Edited by ATLL765

I'm telling you, he's been thinking 13-14 all year. He knew prices would be high at the deadline like always, but with the cap coming down and buyouts coming, he thinks to himself, why waste picks and talent now when I could get a top 6 forward in the offseason without trading assets. I just have this gut feeling that none of the guys coming off a buyout are going to go balls to the wall for a huge contract again. I have a sense that they will sign for reasonable $$ and it'll be a little UFA coup for us.

I love the optimism, I really do. I'm more of a pessimist at the moment though, so it balances it all out.

I honestly fear us getting slower or pulling a high-risk signing for a less than favorable contract.

I love the optimism, I really do. I'm more of a pessimist at the moment though, so it balances it all out.

I honestly fear us getting slower or pulling a high-risk signing for a less than favorable contract.

That's how I felt this season would go. That Lou would see if we could run through an unprepared field, as we did in the first bunch of games, but once the league caught up to us, we fell behind.

I don't particularly care about age, so long as we don't sign an over 35 guy, but if we can grab a top 6 forward for less than $5M cap hit coming off a buy out, I'd take it.