Elias about Lou's free agents approach

SterioDesign

The captain issue has 'nothing' to do with anything, the guy who screwed him out of the C is long gone.

I wouldn't put it past Elias to leave, especially since he had one foot inside the Garden last time, but the good news is they don't have Czech nation over there this time.  And a big part of their trading Gaborik was they flat needed the cap space, they didn't have a lot of big-salaried players in '06 other than Jagr.

Y'know I wonder if we're at the point where the Islanders were in 1992 after missing the playoffs and firing Bill Torrey. I think that was a huge mistake for them and they've been paying for it ever since. Don't underestimate a guy like Lou and what he means to an organization like this. He is our Bill Torrey and in an era of more teams and more unpredictable draft positions he has almost as many Stanley Cups.

I think you're the only person who doesn't like JJ Abrams  :giggle:

You being serious? His body of work is pure trash. Or do I live under a rock and I just have no idea what other people think? It could be the last one, still doesn't change that he's terrible though.

Edited by ATLL765

"Quote of the Week II: I asked New Jersey Devils executive Lou Lamoriello if he was close to signing any of his potential free agents. He laughed. Lamoriello: 'You know better than to ask me that.' Me: 'Well, if you were close, you might say yes.' Lamoriello: 'Have you ever won a hockey game by being close?'"

http://www.cbc.ca/sports/hockey/opinion/2013/04/30-thoughts-nhl-players-in-sochi-olympics-wont-come-cheap.html

Don't worry about Lou's sh!t, he's got it under control.

• Like 1

Loyalty or not, Patty has to have some hesitation of re-signing. This isn't the same Lou that brought on the Arnotts, Mogilnys and Lemieuxs; you know real talent to make the team competitive. Kovy notwithstanding Lou has tried to patch a tire that is flat beyond repair. We as fans are frustrated at Lou's inability or unwillingness to sign strong talent imagine how some of the players like Patty and Marty feel. They're in the twilight of their careers and their GM isn't making any moves to make this team competitive. It has to be troubling to morale especially when you have GMS like Fletcher that have a win and win now attitude with their acquisitions.

Clarkson at a contract between $5-6 million is enormously laughable.  I would pity the team that does that. He's not worth more than $2.5, and that's being generous.

I don't blame Lamoriello for operating the way he does though.  You are an "employee" of the Devils, and you are expected to perform until your contract is over.  That totally manifests "professionalism" on the athlete's part.

Many will argue that "morale" is affected when contracts are in limbo because a player needs to know what he will be doing next season and how he will feed his family.

I don't buy that argument all so much, especially when a player has made well over $30 million NET over the course of their contract and shouldn't be hurting for cash or a job the next season.

Talking contract during the year can be considered a "dirty conversation."  That's like going out to dinner with a friend and discussing who's gonna pay the bill before the appetizer makes its way to the table.  It's awkward and it takes the focus off the moment.

Lou believes in the SPORT and not necessarily the business.  I can admire him for that.

Edited by Mitico12

i couldnt imagine seeing elias in a different jersey!

You'd best prepare yourself. This is another one Lou is probably going to drop the ball on.

Lou has done more for this organization than anyone, but this is one of the stupidest mentalities I think a GM can take. Why would you waste all this time and lose that negotiating power.

and if that's the case, and with the cap going down, I'd wait and see who's an amnesty cap casualty before even considering it.

why? i personally don't like the guy but how much would you give to a guy who can score 30 goals, fight, play the PP and PK and goes in front of the net for the dirty goals, play hard and hit ? like seriously ?

any teams in the league would like to have a guy like him it's not growing on trees and he will get a good contract wherever he ends up

Clarkson at a contract between $5-6 million is enormously laughable.  I would pity the team that does that. He's not worth more than $2.5, and that's being generous.

I don't blame Lamoriello for operating the way he does though.  You are an "employee" of the Devils, and you are expected to perform until your contract is over.  That totally manifests "professionalism" on the athlete's part.

Many will argue that "morale" is affected when contracts are in limbo because a player needs to know what he will be doing next season and how he will feed his family.

I don't buy that argument all so much, especially when a player has made well over $30 million NET over the course of their contract and shouldn't be hurting for cash or a job the next season.

Talking contract during the year can be considered a "dirty conversation."  That's like going out to dinner with a friend and discussing who's gonna pay the bill before the appetizer makes its way to the table.  It's awkward and it takes the focus off the moment.

Lou believes in the SPORT and not necessarily the business.  I can admire him for that.

$2.5M. Ok, because that's not more ridiculous than $6M? Count his goals again and tell me he deserves less than his last contract. Unbelievable.

In terms of Marketing and PR, Lou is rock bottom.

As for putting a great product on the ice, he is one of the best.  Thing is, he is losing some of his magic.  I am not saying that just to be spiteful, but after 25 years of being GM of the same team that magic is going to wear off eventually.  He still shows flashes of it, but he is not seemingly pulling rabbits out of a hat like he used to.  IDK maybe he just spoiled us early on but we also shouldn't let his accomplishments in the past cloud our future outlook in terms of his position.  Like we always say we hate it when he gives out lifeteam achievement contracts to players we also shouldn't let him have a lifetime of getting himself off the hook because of what he did in the past.

These are my sentiments in a nutshell.....

Edited by ThreeCups

$2.5M. Ok, because that's not more ridiculous than $6M? Count his goals again and tell me he deserves less than his last contract. Unbelievable.

I think Clarkie is worth $4M for what he brings to the table....but I can see a team offering him closer to $5M/year on average...if so, it is an overpayment

I think Clarkie is worth $4M for what he brings to the table....but I can see a team offering him closer to $5M/year on average...if so, it is an overpayment

That's how I feel. $2.5M is absolutely ridiculous though. People on here go nuts when someone has a good or bad streak. OMG HE'S WORTH $6M in UFA, HE'S GONNA LEAVE TO GO HOME! Then he has a bad streak and it's all HE'S WORTHLESS, BUT HE'LL STILL GET $6M IN UFA EVEN THOUGH HE'S ONLY WORTH A SACK OF POTATOS!!!!!!!!!

If we had an owner who operated like Lou and followed his philosophy and management principles, Lou would have been fired by now and probably back when Lou first got into trouble with the Cap.