Could Stevens or no Larry Robinson be the problem?

Daniel

Honestly, I have no idea, but curious what others think. All I'll say is I've never seen the number of defensive breakdowns that I've seen this year from a Devils team. The other thing I'll note is that DeBoer delegates a lot of responsibility to his assistants, so it's not like Stevens is a glorifiedractice instructor.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Too early to tell.

We need to get rid of Sal and Anton. Now, whoevers decision it is to put those guys on the ice whether its Scotty or Pete, that's a little unknown.

Now, Matt Shaw - I'm sorry, but I don't why he'd be allowed to stay. We have more talent than this piss poor PP is showing.

Well the shots on goal are not high, and the Devils are generally pretty good positionally. I think it's more so goaltending. Last night it was mostly Brodeur. The Devils allowed 19 shots. And even when the Devils started scoring and Boston tried to amp up the attack...they really couldn't.

Brodeur needed to come up with some big saves yesterday. He didn't.

The Campbell goal was Jagr being Jagr (nice job Lou in the offseason, should've signed him) we couldn't get the puck off his stick...and here's Marty letting a soft rebound through his legs with no awareness of where the puck could be. (salvador looked like a fool on that play as well but we won't have to deal with him anymore this season)

Second goal was Brodeur just not getting square to the shooter and it was an easy deke around by 50 goal scorer Daniel Paille  :glare:

The Campbell goal was a typical Brodeur long range softie

The Chara goal...Brodeur has to just squeeze the fvcking puck

The Seguin goal was the toughest of the night. But that puck is stopped by a good goalie

all this is not on Stevens

I really haven't watched that many games this year, but losing Larry was huge, not sure if Scotty is seasoned enough as a teacher to elevate the play on D.    But, the games I have seen has been more of a forward problem, not the blueline.

This

and the worst part about Salvador getting hurt last night is he was FINALLY straightening out his game and making smarter decisions. Hell, even after getting nailed by the Chara slap shot, he stayed in the play until the whistle, still trying to block shots.

Last night, Fayne played the worst game I've seen from him since his first few in the NHL.

I don't like Shaw's PP, they tried too hard to set up Elias last night as if he's Kovy.

And as many have echoed time and time again, our goaltending has been average at best.

EDIT: Holy crap, I just agreed with Manta... lol

Edited by jagknife

NJ allows the 2nd least ES shots in the league.  They are just fine defensively.  Their goaltenders cannot stop a shot.

They allowed 2 short handed goals last night which has nothing to do with Stevens and a 4 on 3 goal.  The coaches cannot get out there and play.

NJ allows the 2nd least ES shots in the league.  They are just fine defensively.  Their goaltenders cannot stop a shot.

They allowed 2 short handed goals last night which has nothing to do with Stevens and a 4 on 3 goal.  The coaches cannot get out there and play.

Team save% of .896.  Without checking, that has to be at or very close to the bottom of the league.  The D keeps the shots down, which does help to minimize the low save%...not sure how much more the D can do. 

Harrold will be in the lineup and hope we play urbom. Merril we can't.

You're right, my mistake, he's on an ATO like Boucher. I kinda want to see Gelinas, just because we've seen Urbom before, but I liked what I saw out of Urbom, just wish he could have gotten a longer stint here.

Edited by ATLL765

Third to last. The Flyers and Flames have us beat on that account.

The Flames are at .8835...good lord!  Flyers are at .895. 

Third to last. The Flyers and Flames have us beat on that account.

The Flames are at .8835...good lord! Flyers are at .895.

Wow.

The fact that the Devils are in the same neighborhood as those two teams is depressing.

Marty and Moose worked last year, but it's pretty clear their time has come as a tandem. Keep Marty around as the 1b next year, but Lou's got to try to bring in a 1a.

......dare I bring Luongo into this discussion?

Our D is solid. I have very high standards. Now it's not trapping...but I like to see the D stop things in the neutral zone. I like that to be their aim. It annoys me when it looks fine by them to let pucks dribble out of the attack zone. But I see how that might jeopardize more than help things.

I think Stevens has been really great. Really patient. I actually like the benching in principal. BUT. Not everyone is a dog person. Meaning ostracizing might not work on everyone. It might confuse. It may not be Stevens's call though. But seems pretty him.

I feel like timing has just been bad for the devils this season. It's disheartening but it not something you can act on. No FA has impressed me so none if that thread is worth responding to. Patty has sand in his hoohah - whatever.

The defense is fine. A few mistakes here and there, sure, but they play a low-risk enough game that they generally can recover from their errors. As others have been saying, the goaltending has just not been good enough. I'm not a Brodeur "hater" (meaning I don't instantly blame him for every single goal that he gives up), but he was awful last night. If he just keeps out one or two of those stoppable goals, it makes a huge difference. People try to minimize Brodeur's numbers by saying things like "Oh well even if his save percentage was a bit better, it's still only a difference of <10 goals over the season, it's not a big deal", but it IS a big deal when your team plays almost exclusively in one-goal games and is only a few wins out of a playoff spot. The offense hasn't been what we expected, but they showed up in full force last night and Brodeur couldn't make any saves for them.

I still "like" Brodeur. I think he was pretty good in most of the playoff run last year. But he has simply not been good this year, and Hedberg is worse.

the problem with luongo beyond his contract (which to be honest, i would maybe be ok with acquiring if the canucks kept some of the cap space and took a c prospect like urbom back) is that  he (nor very few other truly established goalies) will come here to play 1/2 a season during marty's swan song.

do you think luongo is going to be happy letting marty get opening night, rangers games, mtl games, etc?

it's kind of like mariano rivera's replacement. you don't want to replace Mo. you want to replace the guy that replaces Mo.

Marty and Moose worked last year, but it's pretty clear their time has come as a tandem. Keep Marty around as the 1b next year, but Lou's got to try to bring in a 1a.

Probably many, if not most, on the board think this way - including me, but Brodeur will still be the # 1 guy at the beginning of next season.

Heck that's only 6 months from now & Brodeur may not be playing much after these next 8 games.

Robinson's received nothing but praise in SJ.  Their penalty kill last year was 29th and is currently 4th best in the league.

http://www.nhl.com/ice/teamstats.htm?season=20122013&gameType=2&viewName=penaltyKill#?navid=nav-sts-teams

A lot of that I think is signing Stuart and Niemi playing particularly well this season, but...I'm pretty happy he followed me out here.

Robinson's received nothing but praise in SJ.  Their penalty kill last year was 29th and is currently 4th best in the league.

http://www.nhl.com/ice/teamstats.htm?season=20122013&gameType=2&viewName=penaltyKill#?navid=nav-sts-teams

A lot of that I think is signing Stuart and Niemi playing particularly well this season, but...I'm pretty happy he followed me out here.

Didnt they have a great PP under Shaw last year?

He can follow you back out west too  !!

(I think our PP personal on the ice is THE problem)

Edited by hargsy

Didnt they have a great PP under Shaw last year?

He can follow you back out west too!

(I think our PP personal on the ice is THE problem)

They did have a great PP under Shaw.  I'm pretty sure he was only fired because heads had to roll.  Seemed to make no sense to me.

The Sharks have a pretty solid (12th) PP this year too, so I think it was mostly the players but he seemed to do good work.  Their first PP unit is especially amazing.