Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Triumph

Devils sign D Seth Helgeson to Entry Level Contract

12 posts in this topic

I know it's hard to tell anything about a defenseman from his scoring stats but those numbers certainly don't look very exciting.

I recall tg reporting this about a week ago

He didn't.  He reported that Albany had signed him to a tryout.  You can sign a player to a tryout before signing them to a full-fledged contract (hence tryout)

He is a defensive dmen...college doesn't have sufficient stats to guage him.

He is a defensive dmen...college doesn't have sufficient stats to guage him.

Well sure, but his upside is probably a back pairing D/7th D type.

Gives NJ 12 D on the reserve list already for next year (6 on the NHL roster, Merrill, Urbom, Gelinas, Burlon, Scarlett, Helgeson)

Its probably not that but one can only dream that this move is pointing out that Lou will clean house this summer and make sure theres enough young depth for the NHL and AHL

It's too bad Scott Niedermayer didn't sign on here to be a coach.  He and Stevens together would be great for these kids.  Obviously, they aren't all going to be here...

It's too bad Scott Niedermayer didn't sign on here to be a coach.  He and Stevens together would be great for these kids.  Obviously, they aren't all going to be here...

I'd honestly rather Bruce Driver sign on to be a coach. He didn't have too terribly much natural skill but was an exceptionally intelligent defenceman.

Nieds had so much natural skill that a lot of what he did was reliant upon his extreme speed that the players he would be coaching wouldn't have at their disposal.

Edited by NewarkDevil5

I'd honestly rather Bruce Driver sign on to be a coach. He didn't have too terribly much natural skill but was an exceptionally intelligent defenceman.

Nieds had so much natural skill that a lot of what he did was reliant upon his extreme speed that the players he would be coaching wouldn't have at their disposal.

This exactly. A lot of times, the greats can't coach. Sometimes it can be hard to teach something that comes to you naturally.

This exactly. A lot of times, the greats can't coach. Sometimes it can be hard to teach something that comes to you naturally.

This is why Gretzky failed as a coach (my opinion)