Draft Position Watch Thread

Triumph

Last year I made a 'finish 6th in the Conference' thread and that went swimmingly, so I figured I'd make a thread about where NJ finishes in the draft.

Right now NJ is ranked 10th from the bottom in total points, but the great news is, NJ is going to lose most tiebreakers.  There are really only 5 teams the Devils could legitimately fall under now.

Note that I am seldom in favor of tanking and am not in favor of tanking in this instance either - I will not be rooting for the Devils to lose the upcoming matches.  But they very well might.

New Jersey has 7 games remaining and 40 points.

So it goes GR PTS POSITION

10. NJ  7 40

9.  EDM 8 39

8.  NSH 6 38

7.  BUF 7 38

6.  PHI  8 37

5.  TB  8 36

NJ has the tiebreaker on all these teams except Buffalo and maybe Nashville.  I don't think they can fall any farther than 5th, and expect them to end up around where are now or perhaps a little better.  Still, 10th gets them within striking distance of Idiotville - that's where the dumb teams pass on players for terrible reasons and NJ snaps a guy up.

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It sucks most likely not making the playoffs but in all honesty getting a good pick this year might be the best thing for this franchise right now. Your getting a stud if u pick in the top 10 and the devils need done stability in top talent on offense for when patty is gone. If somehow the devils could get the 4th pick again it would be absolutely amazing. They would most likely get barkov

Id like to add that since its a deep draft and that lets say were picking.... 7th... Well the 37th pick could be a real good pick... Read reports that the first quarter of the 2nd round this year could be equal in talent as a late first rounder from other years...

So really the lower we pick we might be able to snag 2 real good players for the future

Hold up, so you're saying that my Lindholm dream might actually be a possibility after all this? I honestly don't see them dropping very much worse than 10. As bad as the results have been, the effort remains, and the luck has got to change after a while.

I just can't believe they most likely won't make the playoffs this year. Never thought this would happen so soon after 2010-2011.

If it's like last year and guys like Grigorenko (even if that's not working out so hot now) and Forsberg drop down there, like they do every year at least a few spots, I can more than live with 10th 

Assuming the Devils pick around 10th, I wouldn't mind seeing them target Hunter Shinkaruk or Anthony Mantha with that pick.

Shinkaruk is a 5'11 175 lbs LW for Medicine Hat in the WHL. As an 18 year old this year in 64 games he had 37 goals and 49 assists. The year before in 66 games he had 49 goals and 42 assists.

Hockey Prospect had this to say on Shinkaruk back in February.

Shinkaruk is one of the most dynamically skilled players available in this year’s NHL Entry Draft. He is like a magician with the puck, and does everything at such a high pace that opponents have a difficult time containing him in the offensive zone. Shinkaruk scores highlight reel goals on a regular basis, which are often the results of his hands, speed and aggressive mentality. He is so fast and so agile out on this ice, that his skating abilities really allow him to be the dominant player that he is now. Shinkaruk just needs to keep developing his strength on his feet and awareness without the puck in his own zone to be a more effective player.

Mantha is a 6'3 200 lbs W for Val-d'Or in the QMJHL. As an 18 year old in 67 games this year he had 50 goals and 39 assists, leading the league in goals. The year before in 63 games he had 22 goals and 29 assists.

Some names I like in the early 2nd round that could be available are (in no particular order): D Jordan Subban, D Madison Bowey, and D Ian McCoshen.

I can't wait till Future Considerations and Hockey Prospect release their draft publications to learn more about other players.

It's all fun and games looking at picks until Lou completely loses it and forfeits this years pick at the very draft we are hosting! With Lou, you never know...

I'm not going to lie, I wouldn't put this past Lou. I love Lou but agree that you just never know with him. I seriously doubt he does it but until its confirmed they are keeping the pick, a small part of me is going to be nervous.

I'm not going to lie, I wouldn't put this past Lou. I love Lou but agree that you just never know with him. I seriously doubt he does it but until its confirmed they are keeping the pick, a small part of me is going to be nervous.

lol not forefiting the pick last year was already a major wtf moment.  Giving it up this year would be another one.  Especially with the real possibility it's a top ten pick.  That's admitting you ****ed up not forefiting the pick if you're willing to give up twenty spots a year later.

Edited by NJDevs4978

Be careful what you say. Triumph kicked me out of chat for saying the same basic thing.

I don't know, holding onto the pick last year is making more sense now that we know Matteau is projected to be the next Zubrus on the Devils. We all know how important Zubrus is for this team, and if they saw somebody who will be able to take over where he left off, then that pick is fine with me. I really don't think Lou would skip out on this one.

Does anyone know how big of a difference age generally makes for draft selections? I ask because a few of the prospects I like (Wennberg, Mantha, Shinkaruk) are some of the oldest in the draft, and I've heard this sometimes turns out to be a bad thing.

It's all fun and games looking at picks until Lou completely loses it and forfeits this years pick at the very draft we are hosting! With Lou, you never know...

no words... other than that i would throw up.. but yea i would have no words...

Assuming the Devils pick around 10th, I wouldn't mind seeing them target Hunter Shinkaruk or Anthony Mantha with that pick.

Shinkaruk is a 5'11 175 lbs LW for Medicine Hat in the WHL. As an 18 year old this year in 64 games he had 37 goals and 49 assists. The year before in 66 games he had 49 goals and 42 assists.

Hockey Prospect had this to say on Shinkaruk back in February.

Mantha is a 6'3 200 lbs W for Val-d'Or in the QMJHL. As an 18 year old in 67 games this year he had 50 goals and 39 assists, leading the league in goals. The year before in 63 games he had 22 goals and 29 assists.

Some names I like in the early 2nd round that could be available are (in no particular order): D Jordan Subban, D Madison Bowey, and D Ian McCoshen.

I can't wait till Future Considerations and Hockey Prospect release their draft publications to learn more about other players.

Id be wary of taking Mantha because he is more physically developed than his fellow draftees.  Also, he is literally the oldest you can be to be eligible for the 2013 draft.  If he was born a day earlier, he would have been a 2012 pick.

My dream would be for us to win the lottery and trade down to 3 or 4 and still pick one of Drouin, Mackinnon or Barkov, while acquiring much needed assets from a team who is willing to overpay for Jones

If we got mackinnon *starts salivating*

And I agree with feisty, I would really like them to get shinkaruk. They need a dynamic player on offense, they also need someone that they know will be a top 6 forward and he fits the bill

Edited by njd3b1ink

Id be wary of taking Mantha because he is more physically developed than his fellow draftees.  Also, he is literally the oldest you can be to be eligible for the 2013 draft.  If he was born a day earlier, he would have been a 2012 pick.

My dream would be for us to win the lottery and trade down to 3 or 4 and still pick one of Drouin, Mackinnon or Barkov, while acquiring much needed assets from a team who is willing to overpay for Jones

If we win the lottery, don't we get the #1 pick? I thought the NHL changed it so any of the 14 non playoff teams could get the #1 pick.

If we win the lottery, don't we get the #1 pick? I thought the NHL changed it so any of the 14 non playoff teams could get the #1 pick.

yes, that is correct. his point was that if we got #1, we could trade down to 5 and get more as jones, who could very well be great, is a defenseman - something the devils have plenty of (and high end) in their pipeline.

its highly unlikely but would be an fun choice to have.

yes, that is correct. his point was that if we got #1, we could trade down to 5 and get more as jones, who could very well be great, is a defenseman - something the devils have plenty of (and high end) in their pipeline.

its highly unlikely but would be an fun choice to have.

I figure we'd just take MacKinnon #1 but I guess it could be like Columbus/Florida in the Nash/J-Bouw year w/ the trade down a couple spots at most. You wouldn't trade below 3 where the big 3 are w/ Mac/Jones/Drouin 

Did we ever find out why Lou didn't forfeit our first round pick last year? Seemed like a no-brainer with having the second highest pick.

If we won the lottery, I would probably just take whoever the scouting staffs likes the most, regardless of position. If that's Seth Jones, then I'm okay with that. I don't think you want to be short sighted when picking #1. 

That said, if we did have the top pick, I wouldn't be adverse to trading down a few spots either. It depends on the return though. In 2002, the return was the option to swap positions in the first round the following year. We would obviously have no interest in that since there wouldn't be a pick to swap.

I also don't see us trading a #1 pick away when the draft is in our home building though. I am sure management is aware that they just had a great fan response this season in terms of turn out and ticket sales, and wouldn't want to lose that excitement following a heartbreaking turn for the worse this season. Then again, this team usually does what's best for the team and not the fans, so....

If we won the lottery, I would probably just take whoever the scouting staffs likes the most, regardless of position. If that's Seth Jones, then I'm okay with that. I don't think you want to be short sighted when picking #1. 

That said, if we did have the top pick, I wouldn't be adverse to trading down a few spots either. It depends on the return though. In 2002, the return was the option to swap positions in the first round the following year. We would obviously have no interest in that since there wouldn't be a pick to swap.

I also don't see us trading a #1 pick away when the draft is in our home building though. I am sure management is aware that they just had a great fan response this season in terms of turn out and ticket sales, and wouldn't want to lose that excitement following a heartbreaking turn for the worse this season. Then again, this team usually does what's best for the team and not the fans, so....

Maybe we can trick a team like that. Hey, we'll trade you #1 pick now if we swap our first picks next year? Totally would work, right?

Did we ever find out why Lou didn't forfeit our first round pick last year? Seemed like a no-brainer with having the second highest pick.

I think it had something to do (theoretically) with a first rounder in 2012 being worth more than one in 2014 even if it was a higher pick just becasue you have the asset longer. Not defending it, but I think that's what it was. And I heard the draft next year isn't good but I'm not exactly qualified to answer that 

It's getting pretty evident, at least on the Eastern side of things, it's gonna take a pretty big effort to move down the standings.   These teams just will not even compete.   Of course the team that finally catches us has to be the one we have the tiebreakers on.