It is a retool not a rebuild

Beetlebum

bottom line and even though i don't like them, we can can look at what MTL did last summer... got a nice top pick, brought up kids, cleaned up the team from the distraction and sat the ones remaining and whoever deserved to play was playing. It was really refreshing and they got good results. They overachieved and got really lucky all season long but still. They also stacked their picks in the last few years (obviously its easy when you're missing the playoffs for sure on the trade deadline.) But they have TONS of good prospects coming and they have 3 2nd round picks this year.

I dont think NJ had "locker room problems" like MTL had but its easy to point out who's dragging us down and who's absolutely expendable and costing too much.

Who do you propose we bring up? We can't do something like bring up 3 rookie D-men and there's not even a need to bring up more than 1 esp w/ being stuck w/ Salvador. The forward we presumably will get won't be as highly touted as Galchenyuk and besides him, unless Boucher keeps lighting the world on fire, I dunno how we're really gonna change anything that much outside of FAs. THe immediate answer doesn't seem to be from within so it might take awhile. Plus they have Carey Price which blows Brodeur away at this point so that helps

Who do you propose we bring up? We can't do something like bring up 3 rookie D-men and there's not even a need to bring up more than 1 esp w/ being stuck w/ Salvador. The forward we presumably will get won't be as highly touted as Galchenyuk and besides him, unless Boucher keeps lighting the world on fire, I dunno how we're really gonna change anything that much outside of FAs. THe immediate answer doesn't seem to be from within so it might take awhile. Plus they have Carey Price which blows Brodeur away at this point so that helps

I was not really that in the way of trying to do the same exact thing both team are not structured the same way but more in the way of getting rid of the crap and replacing it with something cheaper with more energy kinda. We dont need 8 average D when some of our kids can be called up and get experience and probly do a dcent job. Were gonna have to break them in eventually, its better to do it now gradually.

We also dont need 2 fvcking goon who can barely play whos gonna play 3 minutes in a game and bring down that poor center. Bring up guys like anderson to give them a little appreciation if they play well in the ahl or to give them a little exprience.

I was not really that in the way of trying to do the same exact thing both team are not structured the same way but more in the way of getting rid of the crap and replacing it with something cheaper with more energy kinda. We dont need 8 average D when some of our kids can be called up and get experience and probly do a dcent job. Were gonna have to break them in eventually, its better to do it now gradually.

'Probably' doing a decent job isn't doing a decent job.  I agree that there should be one spot open in training camp for one of Gelinas, Urbom, or Merrill.  Salvador should at least be moved down in the rotation.  But I don't think one of these guys outperform Tallinder or Fayne or whoever ends up going.

We also dont need 2 fvcking goon who can barely play whos gonna play 3 minutes in a game and bring down that poor center. Bring up guys like anderson to give them a little appreciation if they play well in the ahl or to give them a little exprience.

The Devils did this in exactly 1 game this year.  It's not a problem at all.

Edited by Triumph

'Probably' doing a decent job isn't doing a decent job.  I agree that there should be one spot open in training camp for one of Gelinas, Urbom, or Merrill.  Salvador should at least be moved down in the rotation.  But I don't think one of these guys outperform Tallinder or Fayne or whoever ends up going.

The Devils did this in exactly 1 game this year.  It's not a problem at all.

Green - Larsson

Tallinder - Fayne

Harrold - Zids

(Gelinas-Merril-Urbom, Nurse? who knows)

would be perfect and if you REALLY want 8 D you keep 2 rookies and you rotate them so they are not both playing at the same time at worst. An extra year of Zids could help for the offence, he's bringing something no other dman on our roster is bringing and he's a good stop gap for another kid.

But for the money Salvador and Volch are absolutely useless, we didnt see a difference when they were there or not. Actually we played better when they werent there. I know Salvador will be there next season of course, terrible terrible move by Lou there.

and the goon thing, why even sign 2 and waste a contract ? we have 3 goons in the organization what the fvck is the point

Green - Larsson

Tallinder - Fayne

Harrold - Zids

(Gelinas-Merril-Urbom, Nurse? who knows)

and the goon thing, why even sign 2 and waste a contract ? we have 3 goons in the organization what the fvck is the point

In theory, I like that lineup a lot because I think Tallider is a better overall player than either Salvador or Volch but that lineup would get tossed around, especially if we limit the goons up front and don't overpay for Clarkson. We're going to need some muscle somewhere until we develop a better overall defenseman that also has a mean streak (Merrill?)

In theory, I like that lineup a lot because I think Tallider is a better overall player than either Salvador or Volch but that lineup would get tossed around, especially if we limit the goons up front and don't overpay for Clarkson. We're going to need some muscle somewhere until we develop a better overall defenseman that also has a mean streak (Merrill?)

we could certainly find a cheaper aggressive dman somewhere. A-Train is terrible overpaid for what he's bringing

Just imagine if Brodeur retired after next season and Lundqvist signed with us?

Marty could be his goal coach. :giggle:

pay a 30 something goalie 7+ mil a year for years no thanks 

Signing the Queen next year would be the ultimate revenge move for all the players they've poached over the years.

It's a pipe dream though, pretty much guaranteed he stays in NY.

It's probably a pipe dream that he comes here, but in all honesty he should probably leave the rangers. I actually wouldn't be surprised if he at least entertained offers. With the exception of last season where they won all the time, every season he been somewhat frustrating for him. You can tell on his post game interviews where he's frustrated and always says his team needs to get more than 2 goals. If he went to a team that can actually score he would probably win a cup.

I think the rangers could be a team that could score, but that won't happen until they get a new coach. Tortorella is the wrong coach for that team.

Edited by njd3b1ink

Signing the Queen next year would be the ultimate revenge move for all the players they've poached over the years.

It's a pipe dream though, pretty much guaranteed he stays in NY.

Not at all... How is he guaranteed to stay in NY? They're swallowed up in way too many heft long-term deals.

A first or second round exit this year by New York would be enough for me to guarantee that he goes to a contender next year. It could be a Chicago or even a Pittsburgh. My money's more on him leaving the Rangers than staying. What has that organization done for him since he started playing for them? Any level of success or high level of play they've ever achieved has been directly because of him and how he plays at any given point in time. The 1-0 overtime loss on Sunday is like the microcosm of his career with the Rangers. They've really done nothing to help him get any inkling of success. However, he's poured his heart and soul into this team for several years. Like njd3b1ink, his career has been characterized by nothing but disappointment year after year.

Edited by DJ Eco

Lundqvist isn't leaving NY unless there is some sort of massive falling out. They will have the money, they'll have a good team, and he'll stay.

Unless there is a coaching change in New York they won't win a cup. That team should be scoring, and it's extremely frustrating to lundqvist that they can't. He will entertain offers if torts is the coach next year

Unless there is a coaching change in New York they won't win a cup. That team should be scoring, and it's extremely frustrating to lundqvist that they can't. He will entertain offers if torts is the coach next year

It really shouldn't be.  Brad Richards is hugely overrated, Rick Nash is very good but not great, and where is the secondary scoring on that team?  They helped out a bit with Zuccarello, but it was the Rangers' bottom 6 forwards who were the big problem this year.

Hell, I'd be surprised if Lundqvist isn't signed this summer. 

I'm not sure how anyone can say he's definitely going to stay in New York for any reason. The Rangers are the prototypical team (talking about results during his years there) where a player at the end of his contract would choose to leave for a better contender.

The clock is ticking and if they can't get past the first and second rounds this year, I don't know how you can assure that Lundqvist would want to stay. There's nothing to suggest that he's incredibly "loyal", as he's never been put in the position of free agency and being super-high demand as he will be next year's offseason.

The Rangers haven't had an all-star caliber player (that they didn't sign/overpay for at the middle of his peak) reach the end of their contract, in a long time. They overpay, they've buried or bought out the big contracts (Gomez, Drury, Redden), they make trades (Gaborik), etc. Lundqvist is the first Ranger of his caliber in a long time whose contract will run out, and it will be a real test on Sather to try to keep him if they don't get far in this year's playoffs. There's absolutely nothing on the Rangers' end to suggest that Lundqvist will definitely stay. On the business end of things, and the possibility of joining a contending team, there will be several teams that will be able to peak his interest and compete with Sather to sign him. I would not at all be surprised if he goes elsewhere.

It really shouldn't be.  Brad Richards is hugely overrated, Rick Nash is very good but not great, and where is the secondary scoring on that team?  They helped out a bit with Zuccarello, but it was the Rangers' bottom 6 forwards who were the big problem this year.

Hell, I'd be surprised if Lundqvist isn't signed this summer. 

But for all the reasons you mentioned, why WOULD Lundqvist re-sign? I don't get it. He knows he's the rock of the team and has been for years, and they live or die based on his play any particular game. Why would he pledge the rest of his career to continue to play that role, under that one-person pressure to succeed, in a city and organization that's done very little for him in the grand scale of things? If you're his agent, you keep him unsigned until July 2014 because you know he'll be the most sought-after UFA of the offseason, instant pay-day.

There are at least 4 or 5 teams that would be able to pay him out the ass and already have offensive systems in place that would practically guarantee championship victories with Lundqvist in net. The status quo in New York is unable to provide him that, especially with Tortorella behind the bench. The burden is on his shoulders, every game, and every season, and his confidence has gone downhill the past two seasons...

I'm not sure how anyone can say he's definitely going to stay in New York for any reason. The Rangers are the prototypical team (talking about results during his years there) where a player at the end of his contract would choose to leave for a better contender.

Edited by Triumph

In all honesty, I know I'm probably over-exagerrating the negatives and the possibilities of him leaving, but I think you're also over-exaggerating the positives and reasons he will stay.

I think somewhere along the middle line is how the situation will really play out. He will test free agency, even if for a day or two. It's a very real possibility that he may leave. But I don't think he will sign before free agency, there's really absolutely no reason for him to do that. He will only get more money (even if he intends to stay with the Rangers) the longer he holds out.

In all honesty, I know I'm probably over-exagerrating the negatives and the possibilities of him leaving, but I think you're also over-exaggerating the positives and reasons he will stay.

I think somewhere along the middle line is how the situation will really play out. He will test free agency, even if for a day or two. It's a very real possibility that he may leave. But I don't think he will sign before free agency, there's really absolutely no reason for him to do that. He will only get more money (even if he intends to stay with the Rangers) the longer he holds out.

This is not a guarantee at all.  Plenty of players do not test free agency.  There's tons of reasons to sign before free agency - you could have a down year, get hurt, etc.  If the Rangers come offering what Henrik wants, and I don't see why they wouldn't, an early signing is a definite possibility.

The real question is...who will be going so that Lundqvist may stay. Callahan and Girardi are becoming UFA's at that time, McDonagh is an RFA after this year, as is Stepan, Hagelin, and Zuccarello

The real question is...who will be going so that Lundqvist may stay. Callahan and Girardi are becoming UFA's at that time, McDonagh is an RFA after this year, as is Stepan, Hagelin, and Zuccarello

Richards obviously and I'd imagine they'd get rid of they'd get rid of Del Zotto before any of those guys. Plus they just got Gaborik off the books too