Dallas Fires Nieuwendyk

MDPucks

That would be intriguing if Lou did bring him here. I liked Joe when he played for us. He was a class act all the way. I didn't follow the Stars too closely under his reign so I can't speak to how he is as a GM, but if he has had a little experience in the management side already and can be convinced to come here to study under one of the best to become one of the best, I'd love for that to happen.

Class act...whatever. Nieuwendyk was a useless nobody as a Devil and barely visible on the ice. 94 games, 19 goals and generally uninspired play. Wouldn't want him back in any capacity

Edited by '7'

His acquisition of Kari Lehtonen for Vishnevskiy and a 4th round pick seems pretty impressive at this point, but giving up Neal and Niskanen for Goligoski hurts. Giving up Ribeiro for Eakin and a 2nd rounder will be interesting to watch.

It's weird, seems like Dallas didn't really want to commit to either rebuilding or retooling and walked a strange line in between. Then when prospects and picks are brought in, Nieuwendyk is shown the door. That being said, I'm not a Stars fan, so I clearly have a different perspective.

His acquisition of Kari Lehtonen for Vishnevskiy and a 4th round pick seems pretty impressive at this point, but giving up Neal and Niskanen for Goligoski hurts. Giving up Ribeiro for Eakin and a 2nd rounder will be interesting to watch.

It's weird, seems like Dallas didn't really want to commit to either rebuilding or retooling and walked a strange line in between. Then when prospects and picks are brought in, Nieuwendyk is shown the door. That being said, I'm not a Stars fan, so I clearly have a different perspective.

Ryder and a pick for a washed up Erik Cole was bad too.  Nieuwy was a terrible GM.

Neither Chris or Marty will ever be GM here. Lou himself probably only has one more year.

Edited by coldply123

...if he's retiring.  Otherwise, no, I don't think Lou has one more year.

I'd think Conte becomes the GM before Chris does IMO. If anything I'd think Conte would be promoted to GM and Chris Lams would get the new Director of Scouting job.

That would make the most sense to me. No?

But yeah sad for Nieuwy. I still sport my white Nieuwendyk jersey from time to time. I enjoyed him during his time here.

Edited by TheMazz

I'd think Conte becomes the GM before Chris does IMO. If anything I'd think Conte would be promoted to GM and Chris Lams would get the new Director of Scouting job.

That would make the most sense to me. No?

could go that way, I think a GM is like a doctor, you have to put in years as an intern before getting the gig

As for Nieuwendyk, both Scott Glennie and Jack Campbell look like busts, and he's hardly made a good trade.  Usually guys get a longer rope than he got, but I'm not really sure why - they just keep grinding the franchise into the dust then leave a bunch of crap in their wake.

imho Lou will be the GM until he's 75 at least.

Conte has no ambitions to be GM here (or anywhere for that matter) I'm sure he's been offered jobs by many franchises around the league. If he wanted to be a GM...he'd be one

Campbell looking like a bust? Isn't it a bit early to call him that?

Had a terrible year after his draft and was one of the worst goalies in the OHL, rebounded the next year to be merely mediocre, then starts out his AHL career with a not-great SV%.  I'll value that information way above the fact that he was drafted in the 1st round.  Any goalie can get good, but when you're betting on that to be a saving grace, the guy you picked probably sucks.

• 3 weeks later...

following in the footsteps of Lou Lamierello is a very big job. i don't know WHO can succeed him with success.