Who do you think the Devils will draft?

Jerzey

Devils 2013 draft selection  

65 members have voted

1. 1. Who do you think the Devils will select?

• Sean Monahan
    • Elias Lindholm
    • Nikita Zaradov
    • Hunter Shinkaruk
    • Bo Horvat
    • Curtis Lazar
    • Valeri Nichushkin
    • Darnell Nurse

Why on earth would he play on a two-way contract when he can make millions in the KHL? That makes perfect sense to me. 

When asked where he wanted to play he mentioned the Flyers or the Rangers then added something like; "Those are good teams, no?" :P  Don't think you should read a whole lot into that. Or are we holding out for Devils fans only now?

Edited by njdevsftw

Why on earth would he play on a two-way contract when he can make millions in the KHL? That makes perfect sense to me. 

When asked where he wanted to play he mentioned the Flyers or the Rangers then added something like; "Those are good teams, no?" :P  Don't think you should read a whole lot into that. Or are we holding out for Devils fans only now?

What I can tell you is you don't want a player that is dictating terms before he is even drafted. It tells me everything I need to know. 

the same goes for any russian player. Why didn't Yakupov go back there full time then for millions? Why did Filatov run through every opportunity to stay here. Why did Bobrovsky stay to ostensibly be Bryz's backup? 

And he'd probably be fine playing with the guy who's gonna be the captain on the 2014 russian olympic team :P

Edited by DH26

I wonder if overall Euro's coming here are so accustomed to playing on a larger ice surface that it takesa couple years to get acclimated if at all. Where No. American skaters play on the same size rink all

their lives. Do guys like JJ/Bergfors/Teddy etc. get wiggy because a smaller ice surface, way more physical. This guy (Nichushkin) scares for that reason. I know things get lost in translation.

I'm sure the Dev's scouts have interviewed him. For this reason hopefully Lou stays away from high

profile Russians. They do have an alternative of playing in the K, where all No American want to play in the NHL

http://www.newsobserver.com/2013/05/03/2869200/canes-hope-for-instant-impact.html

Interesting quotes from Jim Rutherford:

“We have a chance to get another outstanding player like a Jeff Skinner
this year,” Rutherford said. “What I’m told by our amateur scouting
staff is the top six players are the elite players and the guy we pick
at five could be as good as the guy picked at one.”

Trading up was always a long shot.  If Rutherford's thoughts are in line with other GMs, it's even less possible.

I don't think young players make very much money in the KHL.  My understanding is that there is a salary cap on KHL-only players, but that players who get imported from other leagues have no such restriction.  Now Kuznetsov is making good money, but I believe they dangled the 2014 Olympic team in front of him to keep him there - I think he'll be gone after that even though he will make less (at first) in the NHL.

Generally speaking, in european sports you get payed what you're worth. Your age doesn't really factor into your salary. So, if he's as big a talent as it seems, I'm 100% sure he could make more money in the KHL then the AHL side of a two-way entry level contract.

That said, I think most people would agree that the US/Canada is a better place to live then most parts of Russia. Add the fact that there's still more money to be made in the NHL, and the fact that the NHL is hands down the best league in the world, and there should be plenty of motivation to come over the pond.

I actually wasn't aware they had a salary cap in the KHL untill just now, never heard of that in any european sport before, but it seems they do.. (Some soft of softcap untill this year, where they introduced a hardcap of $36.5M + one player from the NHL outside of the cap.) I guess they are modelling the KHL after the NHL. I'm sure they don't have two-way contracts similar to the NHL though. Frankly I don't even understand why the NHLPA accepts the concept of the two-way contracts.. seems completely retarded to me. And I have no problems accepting the reasoning behind staying in the KHL for a solid paycheck, instead of coming to the NHL on a risky two-way contract. 

id like to see us use either a 6th or 7th round pick on Anthony Brodeur, if his numbers stay up high then drafted for skill, if not then for sentimental reasons.

id like to see us use either a 6th or 7th round pick on Anthony Brodeur, if his numbers stay up high then drafted for skill, if not then for sentimental reasons.

I wouldn't be shocked if Lou did. And I wouldn't be upset at all.

Why draft Anthony Brodeur when you can sign him as an undrafted free agent in a few years? It would be a complete waste of a pick. He didn't even own the majority of starts for SSM with the other goalie being a year younger plus Central Scouting didn't even rank him and they ranked 40 NA goalies. The Devils don't have a 7th round pick and though 6th round picks rarely amount to much, they've drafted some intriguing prospects in that round or the next in recent years (6th round: Gavrus in 2012, Scarlett in 2011, 7th round: Gedig in 2009).

Well just as I was afraid of the Oilers plan on taking center with their 7th overall pick...

http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1434839

Colin Priestner ‏@colinpriestner 28m 
He says from July 1 to July 5 there is a recruitment window for pending UFA's. Also says his priority is A centre with 7 overall pick.

Also had this..

Colin Priestner ‏@colinpriestner 30m 
Lists McKinnon, Barkov and Monahan as the 3 centres he wants. He's had many talks about moving up OR down with fellow GMs

Edited by Jerzey Devil

Well just as I was afraid of the Oilers plan on taking center with their 7th overall pick...

http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1434839

Also had this..

Guess this leaves Lindholm as the center that might be available. 

I'm starting to wonder about the possibility of trading Larsson and other player(s) for one of top five picks straight up.  Take the forward with the newly acquired pick, and draft Zadorov or Ristolaein, who is supposed to be a Larsson clone. 

I'm starting to wonder about the possibility of trading Larsson and other player(s) for one of top five picks straight up.  Take the forward with the newly acquired pick, and draft Zadorov or Ristolaein, who is supposed to be a Larsson clone. 

I'm actually a little nervous now. This is how I see it playing out...

1. Avs - Jones

2. Panthers - MacKinnon

3. Tampa - Drouin

4. Preds - Barkov

5. Canes - Nichushkin (recent rumors suggest he wants to play in the NHL next year but no AHL or any minor league) NHL or KHL.

6. Flames - Monahan

7. Oilers - Lindholm

8. Buffalo - Either Zadarov, Nurse, or even Shinkaruk

9. Devs - Gauthier or Domi (or Shinkaruk)?

Doesn't look like anyone above us is going to draft a defender except maybe Buffalo. 

I'd be in favor of trading Larsson to Tampa for 3rd overall too. We might have to add a little bit just because you probably have to overpay to get them to listen. Then take Nurse, Ristolainen, or Zadarov with the 9th. 

I don't really see that happening though.

Edited by Jerzey Devil

A defenseman taken 9th probably isn't going to be on the team next year barring them being awesome. So you keep Larsson (who's probably better then they'd be anyway). You don't trade Larsson for one of those picks that's outright stupid. He's too valuable. He's a 20 year old playing major minutes on a good defense. You don't trade him and try to replace him w/ one of hte later guys. There's a reason guys from last year like Rielly, Pouliot and Maata and Maachachek (sp?) didn't come up right away. Unless youre' a top 5 defenseman (and in Rielly's case even then) you don't come up 

A defenseman taken 9th probably isn't going to be on the team next year barring them being awesome. So you keep Larsson (who's probably better then they'd be anyway). You don't trade Larsson for one of those picks that's outright stupid. He's too valuable. He's a 20 year old playing major minutes on a good defense. You don't trade him and try to replace him w/ one of hte later guys. There's a reason guys from last year like Rielly, Pouliot and Maata and Maachachek (sp?) didn't come up right away. Unless youre' a top 5 defenseman (and in Rielly's case even then) you don't come up 

You wouldn't be replacing Larsson with only the defenseman you'd be drafting at 9, but also one of the top forwards, who project anyway to be superstars. 

But, besides the fact that you wouldn't find a trading partner, however fair the deal might be in theory, it'll probably make the team a bit weaker in the short term, when there is no first round pick next year. 

It's all just fun speculation.

There are few things that could get me to want to run Lou over with my car. Trading Larsson for anyone not named Drew Doughty or Duncan Keith is one of them. But I'm not worried about it, because Lou is smart.

For Lou to do something like that would mean he felt so strongly about someone in the top 3 that he HAD to draft. Like if Crosby and Parise had their DNA spliced into one person and he was draft eligible, lol.

If it appears the guys we want are gone by 9 and we're not interested in drafting a d-man, which I'm sure they've looked at them, but offense is a serious organizational need. Anybody think we then trade down to 15-18 and try to draft Lazar and pick up another low 1st rd pick or high 2nd rd?

There are few things that could get me to want to run Lou over with my car. Trading Larsson for anyone not named Drew Doughty or Duncan Keith is one of them. But I'm not worried about it, because Lou is smart.

Since the Devils do have system depth on defensem, albeit unproven, I would trade Larsson in a heart beat for Barkov, Drouin or MacKinnon.  All three would have been taken ahead of Larsson in any particular draft.  

For Lou to do something like that would mean he felt so strongly about someone in the top 3 that he HAD to draft. Like if Crosby and Parise had their DNA spliced into one person and he was draft eligible, lol.

If it appears the guys we want are gone by 9 and we're not interested in drafting a d-man, which I'm sure they've looked at them, but offense is a serious organizational need. Anybody think we then trade down to 15-18 and try to draft Lazar and pick up another low 1st rd pick or high 2nd rd?

Definitely worth exploring.  Wouldn't surprise me at all if it happened.

The draft might be deep enough to be able to draft higher (trade up with maybe Columbus?

for a 2nd rounder.

I disagree on Edmonton. they've taken a forward the last 4 years I think they're going for a D man- and Devils will take a D man regardless of how many we have in the pipeline. they may be really high on

Pulock or Bowie, or Robert Hagg. Even though I think Zadorov will still be around.

Could Curtis Lazar be another Claude Giroux? or maybe Adam Erne? I'm sure they 've done their

homework.

Since the Devils do have system depth on defensem, albeit unproven, I would trade Larsson in a heart beat for Barkov, Drouin or MacKinnon.  All three would have been taken ahead of Larsson in any particular draft.  

Definitely worth exploring.  Wouldn't surprise me at all if it happened.

I don't know where you get the idea that Barkov/Drouin are the 2nd coming. They wouldn't necessaraiy have been taken over Larsson I don't know where you're getting that. Larsson's draft was deep at the top w/ RNH before he got hurt, Landeskog and Huberdeau who was probably rated lower than Larsson who was probably equal w/ Landeskog. You know Larsson can play already, one of these guys could bust, you never know. Trading Larsson for any of them would be absolutely stupid. It may help more next year, but Larsson matters for the next 10 

regarding reports that edmonton is looking center - don't you think that's out there for teams to try and trade up? it makes all the sense in the world for edmonton to draft a defenseman but because of the prospect rankings, it would be considered a reach to take one at 7. they're trying to drum up interest for someone to trade into that spot (like the devils) who would like to draft a forward over a defenseman if they had their druthers.

regarding reports that edmonton is looking center - don't you think that's out there for teams to try and trade up? it makes all the sense in the world for edmonton to draft a defenseman but because of the prospect rankings, it would be considered a reach to take one at 7. they're trying to drum up interest for someone to trade into that spot (like the devils) who would like to draft a forward over a defenseman if they had their druthers.

that makes sense. But Edmonton's also stupid enough to actually take a center. That's what I'm afraid of. If it was like Detroit or Pittsburgh or Boston, I'd think that and be behind you 100% but Edmonton is just stupid enough to actually take Monahan or whoever