Kovy and Lokti - 2013 IIHF World Championship

Aznjsn

oh well that's encouraging. 

the Swedes take this tournament seriously, not like the US, so not inviting a 20 year old defenseman ranks about a 0 on the 'I care about this' scale.  

Oh, and better yet, part of the tournament is in Sweden.

Edited by Triumph

the Swedes take this tournament seriously, not like the US, so not inviting a 20 year old defenseman ranks about a 0 on the 'I care about this' scale.

Oh please. They invited Erik Gustafsson

Oh please. They invited Erik Gustafsson

Many international bodies (US at the Olympics, cough) sort by age.  Larsson will be invited to plenty of these events before his career is over.

Hopefully in the future, he'll be preoccupied and won't be able to accept those invitations. :P
  • Like 1

yeah they take it so seriously that they would restrain themselves inviting a guy cause he's just 20 even if he'd be a star?. Make perfect sense. Maybe Larsson is just not good enough and thats it. Erixon was invited and not going cause he's injured apparently and he's not that much older than Adam

yeah they take it so seriously that they would restrain themselves inviting a guy cause he's just 20 even if he'd be a star?. Make perfect sense. Maybe Larsson is just not good enough and thats it. Erixon was invited and not going cause he's injured apparently and he's not that much older than Adam

Erixon is 22, which is way older than 20 in hockey years.  

I don't think Larsson is markedly better than either Gustafsson or Erixon at this point in his career, so I have no problem with him not being asked to play.  But I wouldn't be surprised if the Swedes aren't thrilled that Larsson left Skeftella when he was 18 and held that over his head - the WJC Swedish team didn't let Urbom play in 2009 because he left Sweden for the WHL.  The selection processes for these things are always way more complicated than 'Let's just take the 23 best players'

Edited by Triumph

Erixon is 22, which is way older than 20 in hockey years.  

I don't think Larsson is markedly better than either Gustafsson or Erixon at this point in his career.

i still think that they should do like Canada and ice a good team while preparing their young core of guys who could play in the olympics when it really matters. 

Team USA takes Gionta and doesn't even ask Andy Greene? Wow. Clueless.

Obviously Greene isn't good enough.  :dizzy:

I bet Larsson was left off the team because he isn't enormously better than anyone they'll play and he left the country early and Sweden really punishes players with their international team when they do that.

Total nonsense. 

They were making junior players sign agreements that they wouldn't go overseas or they'd leave them off the team.  Then they left a bunch of good players off their juniors team because they were playing in Canada.  It's a philosophy to keep their good young players in the country a little longer.

They were making junior players sign agreements that they wouldn't go overseas or they'd leave them off the team.  Then they left a bunch of good players off their juniors team because they were playing in Canada.  It's a philosophy to keep their good young players in the country a little longer.

I am quite aware of what our national program did. That was at the junior level and none if it has any bearing at the senior level in a championship on our home soil. 

The reason Larsson isn't on the team has everything to do with the Euro Hockey Tour, coach's familiarity with Europe-based players, Larsson not being anything special compared to many veterans and nothing to do with what you're hinting towards. 

I am quite aware of what our national program did. That was at the junior level and none if it has any bearing at the senior level in a championship on our home soil. 

The reason Larsson isn't on the team has everything to do with the Euro Hockey Tour, coach's familiarity with Europe-based players, Larsson not being anything special compared to many veterans and nothing to do with what you're hinting towards. 

So despite the fact that we know players have been punished for leaving Sweden as juniors you know for a fact Larsson isn't getting punished for the same thing the first time the country has a chance to do so?  I don't buy it.

I did say he would be on the team if he was enormously better than the other players, but since he isn't they get to extract their punishment without hurting their own team.

We know they've punished players in the past to teach future players a lesson, so this would just be a continuation of a policy we already know has been put in place.

So despite the fact that we know players have been punished for leaving Sweden as juniors you know for a fact Larsson isn't getting punished for the same thing the first time the country has a chance to do so? I don't buy it.

I did say he would be on the team if he was enormously better than the other players, but since he isn't they get to extract their punishment without hurting their own team.

We know they've punished players in the past to teach future players a lesson, so this would just be a continuation of a policy we already know has been put in place.

If you go on the WC subforum on HF, a lot of posters who have knowledge of the SEL say Larsson would be the 3rd or 4th dman on their team. I'd hope the Swedish federation wouldn't keep him off based on something so petty. Although, I could see this lighting a fire under Larsson's ass Edited by SMantzas

If you go on the WC subforum on HF, a lot of posters who have knowledge of the SEL say Larsson would be the 3rd or 4th dman on their team. I'd hope the Swedish federation wouldn't keep him off based on something so petty. Although, I could see this lighting a fire under Larsson's ass

The thing that Larsson lacks in my opinion, is that physical presence. He makes up for it usually with his puck positioning. He's good, but I think he's been overhyped from the get go. He needs to develop into the player we are all hoping he can be.

So despite the fact that we know players have been punished for leaving Sweden as juniors you know for a fact Larsson isn't getting punished for the same thing the first time the country has a chance to do so?  I don't buy it.

You do realise they asked Larsson to come play in the WJC in his rookie season? And the Devils said 'no'? This was a hot issue 3 years ago, it isn't in 2013. Pär Mårts, a former WJC coach, is the coach. He's a juniors guy with a penchant for young players. Not Tommy Boustedt or someone else from the league or hockey association.

He's not in because he's not good enough. The D has been great in the last EHT tournament where the team humbled the (pretty stacked) Czechs and Russians.