Analyzing Albany: The Goalies

JacobPaul1995

I seriously doubt anyone wants anything to do with our prospect goalies at the moment. I seriously doubt we trade for a goalie either. We'll either sign someone as a stopgap via FA or stand pat until after next season. I think if we can reload on offense a bit in the offseason(i.e. top 6 forward), dump a d-man or two. I think we're ok for next year. Then I think the next offseason, when teams will still be able to buyout players, you'll see Lou gauge where our prospects are at and whether we need to find a goalie.

You're absolutly right. Brodeur is starter next season with Hedberg or Kinkaid (he is a RFA this summer) as backup. Wedgewood will be promoted to Albany and Frazee will be gone. Our problems at the Offense are prioirity for now, no doubt.

It's specially the contract situation of Bernier that would require to take action now. He's 24, on the brink to become starter on many NHL teams and he is RFA now. So LA has to decide now if they want to keep him as backup (i think that will cost them at minimum 2 Mio.$ per Season) or trade him. After THIS Summer he is either signed or traded. Sometimes you can't wait as long as WE (Lou) want.

He will cost much more after this summer.

I would love the situation to have Brodeur as Starter for now (maybe next season too) and Bernier as backup (with 15-25 starts), where he can learn from Marty. (French-Canadian Connection  :thumbsup:  )

Edited by D88

Who wants to speculate that marty signs for 1 more year, then retires, and we sign lunqvist as a UFA

im willing to speculate that Marty will come back for another season after next, but we land Bernier.

Marty is going to be like Bernard Hopkins....

If you guys don't know who he is, Google him and you will see.

Well, they both had shoulder injuries. Hopkins then had salt put on the wound by having the fight called for Chad Dawson because they said he jumped on him or whatever the hell that was, though they did overturn it and make it a no-contest, though he then also lost in the rematch by majority decision.

Marty is going to be like Bernard Hopkins....

If you guys don't know who he is, Google him and you will see.

Hopkins is a beast.  Guy's like 50 and still winning light heavyweight belts.  I'd sign up for that from Marty, although I don't see it happening. 

Unfortunately, I think our goaltending situation is going to be "status quo" next year.  Would like to see Moose bought out and either Bernier brought in or Kinkaid get a shot, but I highly doubt that happens.

Lou will let Marty start in goal for as long as he wants to. I see Marty starting for the next 3-4 seasons.

The above is probably sarcasm (I hope), but people are forgetting that if Marty turns in another season like this one, the decision isn't going to be his.  His contract is up after next season, so the Devils hold all of the cards here.  Lou has already doled out one "victory lap, thanks for everything" contract...he shouldn't be expected to give Marty another one, at the expense of the team.  If Marty's pretty good next year (I'd consider that .905-.910 save% territory at this point), then I hope Marty is smart to enough to realize he should leave the game on respectable terms, and leave the table while he's still up.  Everyone knows what Marty's meant to the Devils, but that doesn't mean that Lou and the Devils are indebted to him forever, especially at the expense of the on-ice product. 

And I DO firmly believe that Marty is not going to pull a Messier here and put his franchise in an uncomfortable situation.  I think he will do right by his team in the end.        

Lou will let Marty start in goal for as long as he wants to. I see Marty starting for the next 3-4 seasons.

Madness.

Who wants to speculate that marty signs for 1 more year, then retires, and we sign lunqvist as a UFA

A guy can dream, right?  Boy oh boy would I love that.  I mean, if Lou could somehow pull that off before he retires... :pray:

who was the one that got the "victory lap" contract?

Marty was, with his most recent deal.  I think both parties knew there was a good chance, simply because of age and mileage, that Marty might not be terribly good in Year #2 of this deal, or even Year #1 (the balance of the previous two seasons were inconsistent).  Year #1 was not good (definitely not by Marty standards), and in Year #2 he's going to be 41.  I had no problem with Lou bringing him back...he was very good in the second half of 2011-12, and played well in the playoffs, and I can certainly understand why both Lou and Marty felt he might be able to continue that success (I don't remember the exact numbers, but in his last 52 games or so of the '11-'12 season, regular season and playoffs, I think he had a save% in the mid-.920s).  And yeah, when you have an all-time great, you reward him for everything he's given you, especially a guy who gave the player's association the finger over and over again by taking less-than-market value with each new contract...no, he may not live up to the value of this current deal, but it's a small price to pay for an incredible career...you live with it, and like I've said, hope it leads to a graceful exit.