Brodeur's television debut tonight

SterioDesign

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2000s kid...      the show was Aug1999-July2004.   

I only looked it up because I had no idea what the hell that show was, and I was born in 84.

edit: I guess you could say 90s...  but I pretty much claim the 90s as my childhood...   I don't consider the 80s to be mine at all.

im 1990 so im like borderline nineties kid.  i remember moon boots and double dare

She doesn't know what she is describing half the time other than to point out the obvious.  Her comments lack any value, insight or depth and often she sounds very unsure of herself.  If it was not for Sherry then Chico might be the worst color commentator in the entire league.

Matt L. is no better either and has to be the worst radio play-by-play announcer I have ever heard.  For hockey the PBP person has to literally describe everything that is going on so the listener can paint an accurate picture of the action unlike slower-paced sports like baseball.  Matt calls the plays at a snails pace and god help me if he can't announce the fvcking score more than 2 times a period.

Yeah, they're pretty bad. Sherry is ok sometimes, but other times, like that really weird interview she did with Zajac, which was absolutely cringeworthy, she sounds lost.

I also think if you drank a shot every time Matt Laughlin says "SHOT-SAVE" you'd be Sir Osis of Liver by the end of the season.

Yeah, they're pretty bad. Sherry is ok sometimes, but other times, like that really weird interview she did with Zajac, which was absolutely cringeworthy, she sounds lost.

I also think if you drank a shot every time Matt Laughlin says "SHOT-SAVE" you'd be Sir Osis of Liver by the end of the season.

Sherry really does come off as a dumb blonde a lot of times.  She offers no insight whatsoever and just states the obvious.

lol you are right about Matt's SHOT-SAVE remark.  I just wish he would replace half of those with announcing the score instead of the 2 times a period they go to commercial.  I timed a few times sitting in my car for over 15 minutes without him announcing the score and that is not including commercials.

Sherry really does come off as a dumb blonde a lot of times.  She offers no insight whatsoever and just states the obvious.

lol you are right about Matt's SHOT-SAVE remark.  I just wish he would replace half of those with announcing the score instead of the 2 times a period they go to commercial.  I timed a few times sitting in my car for over 15 minutes without him announcing the score and that is not including commercials.

I listened to a lot of games on the radio and he says that NON-STOP. I can't take it. It's like Cangi's Shot-SKARRR, but at least Cangi stopped doing that. Then Sherry Ross jumps in with a comment out of left field or some dumb ass story that has NOTHING to do with anything. No thanks.

I don't want to sound like I dislike women in sports or reporting on sports(though 99% of them are just there to be blonde and have boobs/ I'm looking at you blonde chick on NHLN who said the Pens were looking to keep even the series with the Pens before they showed highlights of the 7-3 win.....c'mon, the nicknames are similar, but then use the city names to keep them clear in your head, of course this isn't to say she's the worst, that goes to stutter machine whatever his name is, that guy is fvcking awful, Mark Roe is it?), I just dislike people who don't know what they're talking about. If they want women reporting on sports, find someone who actually pays attention please and it'll work out just fine./rant

You mean like...

mike-francesa-tongue-o-s.gif

I listened to him yesterday, because as a Met fan I had to hear the fan reaction to the latest embarrassing loss.  His version of "you know" is "I mean"...he must say "I mean" 500-600 times per broadcast.  And yeah, you get a lot of Butt-head type "uuuuuuuuuuuuuhhhhhhhhh"s with him.  He's a lousy interviewer (often tramples over his subject's answers, and interrupts) and is not a particularly great speaker.  I find just about EVERYONE else on that station to be a better listen (except Carton, who's very annoying)...I really don't get why some think Fatso is so terrific at what he does.

Re: Marty, wonder if he'd consider do anything with the Canadiens, as far as broadcasting goes.  Easy to forget that English isn't his first language.  Are the current Canadiens on-air guys untouchables?

too bad i missed it i wouldve liked to see it... maybe i can find it on you tube

Scroll up, and all your prayers shall be answered!

Seriously, I thought he did fine for a first time. I don't think he has any training in it, so good for him if he's looking to get into that in the future. Weeksie is always great on NHL Network. I'd love for him to work for the Devils if they decide to drop Chico.

Just to comment on the Matt & Sherry conversation..

Sherry has never really bothered me too much, I've gotten used to her...lack of knowledge about the sport.

But Matt...his calls drive me absolutely batt-fvcking insane.  He's so, SO SLOW with the play by play.

"He...shoots...and...he...hits...the...post...and...it...goes.............wwwwiiiiidddddeee...."

Like, I usually hear the goal horn before I hear Matt's call.  Drives me insane.  What the hell happened to Randy and..whoever the PBP call guy was?  They were fired for..something, I know.

And not sure if you can see this in the US, but here is the entire broadcast from CBC tonight. Brodeur was around pregame, intermissions and post game.

http://www.cbc.ca/player/Sports/CBC%27s+Hockey+Night+in+Canada/ID/2387198151/

No, the game replays don't work for US residents.  Some of the auxiliary clips do though.  You can see Marty in the first six minutes of the Wings/Datsyuk clip (they even troll him by bringing out the replay of Game 3 against the Ducks after Rask's gaffe lol).

Sherry has never really bothered me too much, I've gotten used to her...lack of knowledge about the sport.

But Matt...his calls drive me absolutely batt-fvcking insane.  He's so, SO SLOW with the play by play.

"He...shoots...and...he...hits...the...post...and...it...goes.............wwwwiiiiidddddeee...."

Like, I usually hear the goal horn before I hear Matt's call.  Drives me insane.  What the hell happened to Randy and..whoever the PBP call guy was?  They were fired for..something, I know.

That is another good and very accurate observation of Matt. He announces the game as if he was on television, but he is on the radio.  Because hockey is a fast sport and there are always things going on, a radio announcer has to put as much information as he can in a limited amount of time to paint an accurate picture on what is going on.  He fails to do that so I have to guess half the time as to what exactly is going on in the game with him.

I listened to a lot of games on the radio and he says that NON-STOP. I can't take it. It's like Cangi's Shot-SKARRR, but at least Cangi stopped doing that. Then Sherry Ross jumps in with a comment out of left field or some dumb ass story that has NOTHING to do with anything. No thanks.

I don't want to sound like I dislike women in sports or reporting on sports(though 99% of them are just there to be blonde and have boobs/ I'm looking at you blonde chick on NHLN who said the Pens were looking to keep even the series with the Pens before they showed highlights of the 7-3 win.....c'mon, the nicknames are similar, but then use the city names to keep them clear in your head, of course this isn't to say she's the worst, that goes to stutter machine whatever his name is, that guy is fvcking awful, Mark Roe is it?), I just dislike people who don't know what they're talking about. If they want women reporting on sports, find someone who actually pays attention please and it'll work out just fine./rant

I think Kathryn Tappen actually does know what she's talking about, definitely more than most other female hockey analysts.  And your example of her "not knowing what she's talking about" is ridiculous, obviously she just misspoke, as everyone in the world does every now and then.

Sherry is one of the worst in my opinion.  She is so obviously biased the way she complains about calls and stuff, and as already mentioned she provides no insight or knowledge.  She sounds like just some random person who has never played hockey trying to sound like they know what they're talking about.

And yeah Loughlin's suspenseful cliffhangers drive me insane. 

"Shot by Elias...and.....it.....goes.......off..........the.............post...........and.......into..................the............................................................................................crowd."

I think Kathryn Tappen actually does know what she's talking about, definitely more than most other female hockey analysts.  And your example of her "not knowing what she's talking about" is ridiculous, obviously she just misspoke, as everyone in the world does every now and then.

Sherry is one of the worst in my opinion.  She is so obviously biased the way she complains about calls and stuff, and as already mentioned she provides no insight or knowledge.  She sounds like just some random person who has never played hockey trying to sound like they know what they're talking about.

"Shot by Elias...and.....it.....goes.......off..........the.............post...........and.......into..................the............................................................................................crowd."

Loughlin has no sense of timing.

Example:  Compare Matt's MC'ing for Jaques Caron night and compare that to Doc's MC'ing for Niedermayer night.  Doc actually listens to the crowd's reaction and he guages his pacing based on that as well as his own experience.  Matt just goes about his own pacing and doesn't know when to speak and doesn't know when to pause for a moment.

Right, she misspoke and never corrected it even though I could tell by the wavering in her voice she recognized the error. That's why it bothered me. I don't care that she made a mistake, but correct yourself instead of just pretending it didn't happen. She's supposed to be a professional. I'd be just as disappointed with anybody who made that mistake. She's ok, better than Sherri Ross, but knows what she's talking about? There's few on NHLN that are tolerable, much less knowledgeable.

I can tolerate Weekes, Billy Jaffe is ok, everyone else on there, is near intolerable. The weird turtle looking guy Neil something, AWFUL. Mark Roe, I don't think I've ever seen anyone trip over their words so many times on TV. I also can't stand that when there's only 1-2 games on that night, they have to blow through the highlights of it in 10 mins, then it's 50 mins of BS. Can't they re-run the game highlights at the 30 min mark? So I can flip through and actually catch it instead of having to wait for the top of the hour. Tappen would be more tolerable if she wasn't constantly the one who leads the discussion. I just feel like that whole network could be so much better, but it's one giant disappointment. Tappen is ok, it's just mistakes like the pens, pens one is something any professional journalist should have caught and corrected.

It's not like they can get away with it like this PBP guy, lol. I mean, this is so bad here, he just goes silent. C'mon, just correct it, no one is gonna hate you for admitting your misspoke, so just do it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e-MM8JQjjIw

I listen to many out of town games (feeds) on center ice ('cept Habs French)and also on XM. Matt and

Sherry (imo) aren't as bad as folks make them out to be. I think Sherry does know a lil about the game.

There are guys I especially like Canes Chuck Caton (sp?) does color and pbp.