Comparing: The Bruins this year to us last year

cgb6397

With our boys hitting the links early this year, I've taken a different view on playoff hockey this year. Though of course I would have loved to see us had a fighting chance, what's done is done and taking these awesome games of this beautiful sport is quite nice.

One thing I've realized through two rounds are the parallels the Bruins had to the model we had last year. First thing to note, is the structure of the first two series. The Bruins went seven with the Leafs as we went seven with the Panthers, and neither the Panthers or Leafs were expected to make their respective series that close. Next, the Bruins wash the floor with the Rangers, much like we steam rolled Philly last year. Ironically, these were the series that were expected to go seven that didn't.

Next to note is the contributors for both. The easy one to look at is of course the fourth line. It's easy to argue that if both teams didn't have their fourth lines contributing goals, energy and physicality they wouldn't have enjoyed the same success. After that, is two D Men finding their scoring touch that weren't expected to have nearly as big an impact offensively, Krug and Sal. To counter that, two Czech veterans, notorious for scoring big,timely goals in the playoffs, go dry, Elias and Jagr.

And finally, to tie everything together neatly, both teams ended the Rangers season!

So to some these points might seem like unimportant coincidences, but like I mentioned already, having no team to pull for can make you watch for things more closely, and for me, this is what I picked up on.

Offense: Devils > Bruins

Defense: Bruins=Devils

Goaltending:Bruins>Devils

Special teams: Bruins=Devils

Bruins have a better offence than the devils.. So yeah its a wash

Or maybe you were talking bout last year... Then they were pretty even to me

Edited by SterioDesign

Hmm....Top fowards 2012 NJ = Zajac, Kovy, Parise, Henrique, Clarkson

2013                     Boston = Krecji, Marchand, Horton, Lucic, Seguin

I can see what the OP is saying, it is interesting how both teams have guys who are underperforming at key times.  Like it or not, Elias was playing okay, but was snakebitten, being outscored by Zubrus.  In Boston right now, they have Jagr and Seguin who are not showing up on the stat sheet, and you could maybe throw Bergeron in with their guys who are scoring.

Was talking last year, but gave the edge to NJ because they had higher end forwards

I'm not so sure.  I would consider Bergeron, Krecji, Lucic, and Marchand very easily comparable to Zajac, Kovy, Parise, Henrique in terms of experience, as well as skill.  At least in terms of the teams top fowards.

I may also argue that both teams are deep with centers. 

Edited by RizzMB30

Hmm....Top fowards 2012 NJ = Zajac, Kovy, Parise, Henrique, Clarkson

2013 Boston = Krecji, Marchand, Horton, Lucic, Seguin

I can see what the OP is saying, it is interesting how both teams have guys who are underperforming at key times. Like it or not, Elias was playing okay, but was snakebitten, being outscored by Zubrus. In Boston right now, they have Jagr and Seguin who are not showing up on the stat sheet, and you could maybe throw Bergeron in with their guys who are scoring.

I'm not so sure. I would consider Bergeron, Krecji, Lucic, and Marchand very easily comparable to Zajac, Kovy, Parise, Henrique in terms of experience, as well as skill. At least in terms of the teams top fowards.

I may also argue that both teams are deep with centers.

Zajac, sure, but I don't think any of Boston's forwards are on the same level as Kovy or Parise. I think that's what he was saying up there Edited by Onddeck

Zajac, sure, but I don't think any of Boston's forwards are on the same level as Kovy or Parise. I think that's what he was saying up there

I can agree to that.  But there is still playoffs to go yet for Boston.  I could argue that Parise wasn't playing at elite level during playoffs.