Matt Shaw taking coaching/GM job with Dubuque Fighting Saints, per TG

thelastonealive

Maybe we can have a PP coach that understands how to enter the zone on the PP.. Dump and chase is not successful.. Drive and drop pass is

Sometimes dump and chase is all that's available. It's ultimately the players that make a power play good or bad.

Yeah, because the only thing holding back our awesome powerplay was the coach. Sure.

It's much easier to blame the coach than the absolute abysmal performance of the players.

That being said, I'd have to think long and hard to remember a power play that was more pathetic than the Devils' after Kovy went down.

Edited by Devilsfan118

It's much easier to blame the coach than the absolute abysmal performance of the players.

That being said, I'd have to think long and hard to remember a power play that was more pathetic than the Devils' after Kovy went down.

It was pretty bad, but without Kovy, we had no one who could seem threatening with a shot from the outside.

Us Devils fans are pretty quick to jump on our PP though, it's usually average at best, but Oates did a better job than people thought and Shaw didn't have much to work with. His PP strategy may have worked in SJS, but they got Burns to fire bombs and Boyle is still decent. We don't have much as far as guys who can shoot rockets from the point, it's just Kovy.

It's time for you guys to look in the mirror, it's not the system, it's the players! Oates had a great PP in Washington and ran virtually the same thing he did with us.

I wish PDB would engineer the power play, then bring someone in to run it. And on a side note, we really can't keep coaches around here

I agree that it isn't totally on the coach to have a good pp and that the players should be held accountable, but Shaw was just completely awful. At least with Oates it was middle of the pack. Shaw's PP was just horrid. No creativity at all and having kovy on the right point half the time took away the biggest scoring threat we have on the PO (Kovy's one-timer). I don't expect another coach to make us a top 5 PP team but I know another coach could do a much better job than Shaw.

I agree that it isn't totally on the coach to have a good pp and that the players should be held accountable, but Shaw was just completely awful. At least with Oates it was middle of the pack. Shaw's PP was just horrid. No creativity at all and having kovy on the right point half the time took away the biggest scoring threat we have on the PO (Kovy's one-timer). I don't expect another coach to make us a top 5 PP team but I know another coach could do a much better job than Shaw.

PP in 2010-11:  14.35%

PP in 2011-12:  17.23%

PP in 2012-13:  15.91%

I don't really see a huge difference here.  Granted NJ had Marek Zidlicky all last year but they didn't have Kovalchuk the entire time.

I think it's the personell as well. i think coaching certainly has something to do with it, in terms of squeezing more out of what we have. But if you look at it, Kovy is the only one with a great shot. We don't have very many weapons to fire it in the net. We have some creativity with Kovy, Elias, Zid but could always use more.

PP in 2010-11:  14.35%

PP in 2011-12:  17.23%

PP in 2012-13:  15.91%

I don't really see a huge difference here.  Granted NJ had Marek Zidlicky all last year but they didn't have Kovalchuk the entire time.

For 2011-2012 year specifically, do you have second half numbers?  You could chalk up the pedestrian overall 2011-2012 PP percentage to the Devils finding their sea legs with Parise coming back after a year off, and having a new head coach. 

For 2011-2012 year specifically, do you have second half numbers?  You could chalk up the pedestrian overall 2011-2012 PP percentage to the Devils finding their sea legs with Parise coming back after a year off, and having a new head coach. 

Why would having a new head coach or Parise have anything to do with it?  Point is, power plays are in large part luck-based - the puck has to get in the net, and it only does that on about 13% of 5 on 4 shots - and it's silly to dump on an assistant coach over 48 games worth of luck.

Also power play percentage is silly and should be replaced by power play goal differential.

Edited by Triumph