Will the Devils trade up in this year's draft?

nessus

Will the Devils trade up in this year's draft?  

42 members have voted

1. 1. Where will the Devils make their first selection in the 2013 draft?

• 1-8 overall
    • 10+

+1

We only have 4 picks. 1st, 2nd, 4th, & 6th. If lou can get us another 2nd or early third, might be worth it. He may not find a partner.  Unless some team is really hot for one of those d-men.

We only have 4 picks. 1st, 2nd, 4th, & 6th. If lou can get us another 2nd or early third, might be worth it. He may not find a partner. Unless some team is really hot for one of those d-men.

The quality of the player at 9 is much better than the player at 20+. Devils need some high end talent on offense badly and here is their opportunity to get some.

Plus devils have done poorly when trading down.

I agree with everyone saying we should not trade down. I only want Lou to try to trade up if he can. We have enough 2 way talent. We need some elite scoring talent and picking in the top 10 this year could potentially land us that. Kind of why I hope we don't take Monahan if he's there.(to be fair I only know what I read about Monahan and some highlights. All I'm reading is that he's a great 2 way forward and perfect fit for "Devils hockey" which is a term I'm tired of and we need to get away from.).

I wouldn't mind trading a roster player for more picks this year. I think moving the #9 is a bad idea.

Edited by Jerzey Devil

I agree with everyone saying we should not trade down. I only want Lou to try to trade up if he can. We have enough 2 way talent. We need some elite scoring talent and picking in the top 10 this year could potentially land us that. Kind of why I hope we don't take Monahan if he's there.(to be fair I only know what I read about Monahan and some highlights. All I'm reading is that he's a great 2 way forward and perfect fit for "Devils hockey" which is a term I'm tired of and we need to get away from.).

I wouldn't mind trading a roster player for more picks this year. I think moving the #9 is a bad idea.

I agree with what you are saying about two-way hockey.  I disagree about moving back a couple slots, though.  Personally, I would love to have Max Domi.  His offensive skill, grit, and mad enthusiasm for the game are the determing factors for me.  If you're not in the top 5 I think you get a steal with Domi in the teens.  He's Parise with grit.  Dale Hunter even made comparison to Crosby.  Although, I wouldn't go there...

Edited by capo

I agree with what you are saying about two-way hockey.  I disagree about moving back a couple slots, though.  Personally, I would love to have Max Domi.  His offensive skill, grit, and mad enthusiasm for the game are the determing factors for me.  If you're not in the top 5 I think you get a steal with Domi in the teens.  He's Parise with grit.  Dale Hunter even made comparison to Crosby.  Although, I wouldn't go there...

I would actually love to have Domi too (even though that's more blasphemic(?) than taking Matteau). The nly tig that really worries me is that Domi could easily go 10-15 so if we trade down we're not guaranteed to get him.

I would actually love to have Domi too (even though that's more blasphemic(?) than taking Matteau). The nly tig that really worries me is that Domi could easily go 10-15 so if we trade down we're not guaranteed to get him.

I hear ya... I think love me some nieds more than anybody else on this board too.  But,  hockey is not for the faint of heart and Tie Domi is who he is.  I was thinking the same thing with the 10-15 thing as well.  I think when it's all said and done Max Domi is going to be one of the best players to come out of this draft.

the only way the Devils are trading down if a player like Evander Kane gets traded to them

And the only way that is going to happen is if we included more than just the #9 (i.e. Henrique, our 2nd and/or a prospect and the #9). In essence something very similar to what the Pens got from the Canes (Sutter, the #8, and Doumoulin) for Jordan Staal. We would not get a 1st rounder in return if this was to occur. I think the only way the pick gets moved is if something like that went down. 

I see us trading up before we trade down.

Edited by ghdi

There are a lot of good players throughout the first round.  Lou will wait til his number is called take a look at what's on the draft board and the trade table and then make a decision.  I highly doubt they move up. But, I can definitely see an offer from another team to trade back.  It'll all depend as to whether or not the Devils like a player that is on the board at #9 better than what they can get for the pick in trade.

I would want to punch a wall if the Devils traded down, in my mind it's always quality over quantity, players projected to be 1st Line/1st Pairing players don't just come along, when you have a legitimate chance to get one and grow him yourself, you take it. We have too many players projected to be fringe 2nd liners or 3rd liners, why would we trade down and grab more of the same crap we already have? It makes no sense.

This isn't how NHL drafts work.  Sure, the best players are usually the guys picked right at the top, a pick which the Devils don't have.  But certainly there's plenty of years where the 4th or 5th best guy is taken after the 1st round, even.  And projections only mean so much.  Point is, if the Devils feel like there isn't much difference between a guy taken at 9 and a guy taken at 15, they should be trading down.  They don't have a 1st round pick next year and they're missing a fair number of lower picks in the next 3 years.

This isn't how NHL drafts work.  Sure, the best players are usually the guys picked right at the top, a pick which the Devils don't have.  But certainly there's plenty of years where the 4th or 5th best guy is taken after the 1st round, even.  And projections only mean so much.  Point is, if the Devils feel like there isn't much difference between a guy taken at 9 and a guy taken at 15, they should be trading down.  They don't have a 1st round pick next year and they're missing a fair number of lower picks in the next 3 years.

I actually agree with this.  I'm not sure there's much separation this year.  Now obviously if a guy like a Lindholm or Monahan falls to 9 that might change the calculus.  But if the Devils don't feel all that strongly about a guy at 9 and think there's a pool of 7 or 8 guys and a few will be available in the mid teens, I don't see a problem with picking up another late 1st or high 2nd or tacking on a high draft pick next year for the reasons mentioned above.

Personally, there's some intriguing guys in the 9 slot through to the mid and even late teens, especially at forward and I'm not sure one guy is exceptionally heads and shoulders above the rest in terms of projection (Shinkaruk, Lazar, Domi, Horvat, Erne, Zykov, Wennberg, Gauthier). 

Picking #9 is a complete crapshoot. Here are the last bunch of players picked at #9. A couple of stars, a few average players, and a bunch of garbage. If we have to give up a defenseman and #9 to move up to pick at #5, it might be very worth it. Players picked at #5 are almost always impact+ NHLers.

Brent Krahn
Tuomo Ruutu
Petr Taticek
Dion Phaneuf
Ladislav Smid
Brian Lee
James Sheppard
Logan Couture
Josh Bailey
Jared Cowen
Mikael Granlund
Dougie Hamilton
Jacob Trouba

Picking #9 is a complete crapshoot. Here are the last bunch of players picked at #9. A couple of stars, a few average players, and a bunch of garbage. If we have to give up a defenseman and #9 to move up to pick at #5, it might be very worth it. Players picked at #5 are almost always impact+ NHLers.

Brent Krahn

Tuomo Ruutu

Petr Taticek

Dion Phaneuf

Ladislav Smid

Brian Lee

James Sheppard

Logan Couture

Josh Bailey

Jared Cowen

Mikael Granlund

Dougie Hamilton

Jacob Trouba

Its going to cost more than that to move up that high. It will be at least the 9, 39, + more to get up to 5 from 9. Trading up to the top five does not happen very often b/c of the cost involved.

I dont disagree with you about the #9, the proof is right there, but its going to cost more than just a pick and a defenseman (unless its Larsson) to get up there.

Edited by ghdi

Its going to cost more than that to move up that high. It will be at least the 9, 39, + more to get up to 5 from 9. Trading up to the top five does not happen very often b/c of the cost involved.

I dont disagree with you about the #9, the proof is right there, but its going to cost more than just a pick and a defenseman (unless its Larsson) to get up there.

http://www.broadstreethockey.com/2013/4/25/4262594/nhl-draft-pick-value-trading-up

this is a pretty handy chart.  trading up to the top 5 doesn't happen often because teams rarely want to trade out of it - not necessarily because of the cost (I mean, I suppose these are saying the same thing, but point is, yeah, these trades don't often happen, but it's because finding value on either side can be difficult)

http://www.broadstreethockey.com/2013/4/25/4262594/nhl-draft-pick-value-trading-up

this is a pretty handy chart.  trading up to the top 5 doesn't happen often because teams rarely want to trade out of it - not necessarily because of the cost (I mean, I suppose these are saying the same thing, but point is, yeah, these trades don't often happen, but it's because finding value on either side can be difficult)

This seems to be something of a unique draft.  There appears to be little in the way of separation among the top 3 or 4 picks.  I mean, Colorado could swap picks with Florida, without getting too much in return.  Whether you take Jones or MacKinnon appears to come down to an issue of need, which is unusual when it comes to the number 1 pick.  Nashville might not even have to give up an arm and a leg to move from four to one, in theory anyway. 

Then, from everything you hear, there's a pretty steep drop after five or six.  In 2011, I don't think it would have taken nearly as much for Boston to trade up to the Isles spot, as it would for the Devils to trade from 9 to 5 this year.  Probably the same thing for last year's draft as well.   

Brent Krahn

Tuomo Ruutu

Petr Taticek

Dion Phaneuf

Ladislav Smid

Brian Lee

James Sheppard

Logan Couture

Josh Bailey

Jared Cowen

Mikael Granlund

Dougie Hamilton

Jacob Trouba

I couldn't care less about historic drafts. It is irrelevant to this one. Firstly, this draft is deeper than others, and secondly, I don't care what previous GMs have done in the 9 spot. In 2005, the Senators took Brian Lee, but just as easily could have taken Anze Kopitar who went 11th. In 2002, Florida takes Petr Taticek, but just as easily could have drafted Alexander Semin who went 13th. I could go on and on. On the flip side, The Sharks could have passed on Logan Couture with the 9th pick in 2007 and drafted Keaton Ellerby, who went 10th. Does that make the 9th spot less appealing?

I couldn't care less about historic drafts. It is irrelevant to this one. Firstly, this draft is deeper than others, and secondly, I don't care what previous GMs have done in the 9 spot. In 2005, the Senators took Brian Lee, but just as easily could have taken Anze Kopitar who went 11th. In 2002, Florida takes Petr Taticek, but just as easily could have drafted Alexander Semin who went 13th. I could go on and on. On the flip side, The Sharks could have passed on Logan Couture with the 9th pick in 2007 and drafted Keaton Ellerby, who went 10th. Does that make the 9th spot less appealing?

Read my mind. Drafts previous to this don't matter because they weren't drafting these particular people. Unless you believe that a certain spot is cursed, lol.