Will the Devils trade up in this year's draft?

nessus

Will the Devils trade up in this year's draft?  

42 members have voted

1. 1. Where will the Devils make their first selection in the 2013 draft?

• 1-8 overall
    • 10+

As if it weren't clear to all of us already, Lou has mentioned that he is looking to add a scoring forward in this year's draft. It seems as though there are 6 really good candidates to fill this position in the draft this year (MacKinnon, Drouin, Barkov, Nichushkin, Lindholm, and Monahan). After them, there appears to be some kind of drop off in talent with players like Shinkaruk, Domi, Wennberg, etc.

Since it seems that Jones is the only defenseman who is guaranteed to go in the top 10 (even though I think Zadorov, Nurse, and Ristolainen definitely could make it in the top 10), drafting 9th overall is less than ideal to address the Devils' needs. I would guess that this year, we will see many more forwards in the top 10 than last. This is not only judging from mock drafts, but also the majority of prospect reports do not mention any non-Jones defensemen until after Lindholm. Moreover, this pick is all the more important with the forfeiting of the 2014 pick. 

The only team I could see the Devils trading picks with is Edmonton. Any of the top 6 teams probably should not trade away their pick unless it involves a ridiculous overpayment. The Devils have a few expendable veteran defensemen that could be of interest to Edmonoton, and I wonder if that would be enough to move up a couple spots this year. Sitting at 7th guarantees Monahan or Lindholm as the worst case scenario, which is pretty awesome.

EDIT forgot to post my opinion

I think they trade up. It's a great opportunity for the Devils to take care of one of the biggest problems they had this year. I think that this is also an opportunity to use one of their defensive assets and get rid of this 8+ D rotation, which will hopefully leave room for Jon Merrill to play in the NHL.More importantly, maybe Adam Larsson will no longer be scratched.

Edited by nessus

Agree with you. If Edmonton is willing, and they might be, we could trade someone like Tallinder/Volchenkov to move up.

Edmonton doesn't want our trash.  Both guys are injury-prone, and Volchenkov is on a bad contract.  The idea for Edmonton would be to get something back, not to do the Devils a favor. 

I thik we stay at nine, but if we do move it will be based on the first 5 selections. If anyone takes a D man outside Jones in those first 5 (whcih seems unlikley) then i think we stay put, there will be at least one quality forward avaliable.

If they have their eye on someone specific Lou will always talk and see whats out there.

I think any conversation with Edmonton at least starts with on of Merril, Urbom or Severson going in the other direction.

My guess, is that if all the guys we wanted are gone by 9, I think we'll trade down for Lazar(fingers crossed) and hopefully we can pick up a 2nd in the process.

If we traded up at all, the only guys I'd want are Barkov and maybe Nichuskin, but that would require moving up to probably Nashville's spot at #4 and that's too costly most likely.

I don't see how they move up without trading something really significant in one of our young d. Which I don't see them doing for a draft choice. If they are going to trade a young prospect, why trade for a draft pick unless that pick is guaranteed (few and far between are). They might trade for a roster player on another team.

I could see trading down a few spots if two of those top three rated defenseman are gone.  It's a division rival I know, but the Flyers, that perceive a need on defense, might not want to take any chances, although Lou has signaled the obvious, that the Devils are looking for a forward. 

Or, there's the dream scenario that one of Nischushkin, Lindholm, or even Barkov, falls into our laps.  You had a lot of people project Fillip Forsberg to be a top five pick last year, and he didn't come with the same baggage as Nischsushkin. 

Here is a question I have. Why not dangle a guy like Urbom or Gelinas. Obviously we would have to sweeten the pot a little bit, but how many times have other teams made big moves w/o giving up there top prospects

The big moves you're thinking about refer to trades for rentals like Kovalchuk (who, you could argue, the Devils did give up a top prospect for in Bergfors), Hossa, Iginla, etc.  The Rangers managed to hold on to Kreider in the Nash deal, but gave up two good roster players and good prospect in Erixon, and even then, Columbus kind of had a gun to their heads at that point. 

There's a natural tendency to overrate one's own prospects.  Maybe the best way to answer your own question is to look at things from the other team's point of view.  Yeah, maybe one of Gelinas or Urbom helps you move up one or two spots for a team that has a specific player in mind that they calculate will still be available at 9.  But the Devils really don't have anything that they're willing to part with that will allow them to sniff the top four.

Usually when teams are willing to trade down its cause they know they might get a player that they really want and if its not a big drop like 2-3 positions maybe its possible. Just suck to think that with a little more badluck and 2 more losses we'd in regular or less loss in OT/SO we'd already be in good position

Here is a question I have. Why not dangle a guy like Urbom or Gelinas. Obviously we would have to sweeten the pot a little bit, but how many times have other teams made big moves w/o giving up there top prospects

There's an asymmetry of value when it comes to prospects.  People don't move way up in the NHL draft that often, and when they do, it's usually farther down in the 1st round.  

The Islanders in 2008 were the last team to really move down near the top of the draft that I can remember - they dealt 5th overall for a 2nd rounder, 3rd rounder, and 7th overall.  Then they dealt 7th overall for 9th overall and 40th overall.  I wouldn't trade Gelinas for a 2nd round pick, and I'm not sure someone looking to move down in the draft is particularly keen on him - everyone can agree, basically, on the value of a 2nd round pick, but it's much more difficult when we're talking about a player.

Yeah - i didn't say how far we'd move up, but lets say out of the top forwards there is 1-2 left and 3 teams in front of us. Say we want to move up from 9 to 6 or 9 to 7, i am sure we'd be able to add a D prospect and potentially another pick somewhere in the draft.

Yeah - i didn't say how far we'd move up, but lets say out of the top forwards there is 1-2 left and 3 teams in front of us. Say we want to move up from 9 to 6 or 9 to 7, i am sure we'd be able to add a D prospect and potentially another pick somewhere in the draft.

That's just it though - what research is another team doing into our D prospects?  Why do they know or care who Eric Gelinas is?  I think that's why you just don't see this sort of move very often.

That's just it though - what research is another team doing into our D prospects?  Why do they know or care who Eric Gelinas is?  I think that's why you just don't see this sort of move very often.

I don't know - you tell me. I'm not a scout - are you :)

I'm comfortable staying at 9 but I wouldn't be opposed to moving back. Just to speculate...Columbus picks at 14 and 19. I wonder what what it would cost if the Devils wanted to move back for those 2 picks? 9th+Urbom/Gelinas+?...I don't even know what Columbus needs or if they'd want to move up. Picking at 14 and 19 could yield 2 decent forward prospects like Zykov, Lazar, Horvat to name a few.

I'm comfortable staying at 9 but I wouldn't be opposed to moving back. Just to speculate...Columbus picks at 14 and 19. I wonder what what it would cost if the Devils wanted to move back for those 2 picks? 9th+Urbom/Gelinas+?...I don't even know what Columbus needs or if they'd want to move up. Picking at 14 and 19 could yield 2 decent forward prospects like Zykov, Lazar, Horvat to name a few.

I think Columbus probably sees itself as fairly set at defense.

I think that's a tough trade to get done - 9 and 40 don't cut it, hard to see what else we could give them.  They definitely do not want Gelinas or Urbom unless they are for some reason really high on them (and again, I don't know how much scouting of the AHL NHL teams are doing, without reason), as they just tossed away John Moore in the Gaborik deal - I think they have a pretty good D prospect corps.  I'd trade 9 for 19 and give them a 2nd for CBJ's 1st round pick next year, again, not a move I see them liking, and a huge gamble to boot.

Edited by Triumph
  • Like 1

I mean i dont think we can expect them to move up in the top 5 but lets not get greedy here... But a top 8 would be perfect and i mean... Unless the Sabres are reaaaaallly high on that particular guy falling at 8... And since they are rebuilting, getting a near ready prospect or wtv + the next best guy at 9 in a still very good draft is reaaaaally not bad, i dont think its impossible.

I mean i was high on Domi all season and theres a few reaaally good prospects but if we dont get one of the top guys we kept on talking about i gotta admit im gonna be bummed a little but still, we could endup with the best player out of that draft for all we know.

we will trade with florida and will acquire mackinnon... tallon told he could be willing to move his pick

I don't think we have the picks to get that done. Henrique would probably have to be gone in that deal at least along with a bunch of other stuff 

I don't think we have the picks to get that done. Henrique would probably have to be gone in that deal at least along with a bunch of other stuff 

Henrique + our 2nd + 9th overall probably does it - maybe throw in something else like Mark Fayne.  But that's still too much.  

Edited by Triumph
  • Like 1

Henrique + our 2nd + 9th overall probably does it - maybe throw in something else like Mark Fayne. But that's still too much.
Would do that in a heartbeat. Essentially a top six forward, a number 3/4 defenseman with one more year before UFA and a second for someone that projects to be a superstar center. This is especially the case in is situation where the Devils already have more defenseman than they know what to do with.Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
we will trade with florida and will acquire mackinnon... tallon told he could be willing to move his pick
Unless you're drafting Sydney Crosby, you always say you're willing to move a pick. Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD