Daly Warns NHL Team to Play By The Book With Buyouts, Trades

aylbert

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=426385

The Post added that Lecavalier could potentially re-sign with the Lightning at a cheaper rate as an unrestricted free agent. The deal would have got the Lightning out from under Lecavalier's $7.7 million salary cap hit. The 33-year-old has seven years and $45 million left on his contract. A buyout would pay him $30 million over 14 years

Honestly, I wouldn't call that cap circumvention on the surface.   Toronto is wasting cap space in the deal  (they don't care at all about the cash); while getting another asset as well;    Tampa is getting salary relief and other consideration.

Now if they have the conversation with Lecavalier that basically amounts to contract renegotiation prior; then that would be circumvention to me.   But if Toronto buys him out, he should be able to negotiate fairly with all 29 teams... and if he decides he wants to stay in Tampa; he decides that.

It's a slippery slope though and I guess that's Daly's point.

Doesn't that kinda defy the whole point of a contract?

I don't know how it works in the NFL, but there would obviously have to be strict rules and guidelines for the procedure.  I mean, you couldn't have teams offering huge frontloaded deals and then restructuring them only a year or two later.  That'd obviously be circumvention.

But I feel like there should be some way to allow teams and players to mutually restructure a contract that makes absolutely no sense, assuming both parties are willing to do so.

Edited by Devilsfan118

Why the NHL doesn't allow restructuring of contracts is a mystery to me.

Maybe it makes them more accountable. You'll see more GMs throwing out these mega hail mary contracts to players if they think they can restructure it in a few years. A loophole like that would benefit teams like Philly or New York and virtually no one else.

I don't follow the NFL that closely, but don't NFL players sometimes not show up for camp because they want to restructure their contract?  Isn't this what Darrelle Revis did?  I am so glad this does not happen in the NHL.

In the NFL it works like this. You could be cut at any time but there is a signing bonus which is how much the player is basically guarenteed even if the team cuts them tomorrow. Now teams restructure contracts at the point in the contract where the money becomes less then the cap hit so they can balance out the cap hit while giving the player more guarentees in money. Or the player will hold out (usually on a rookie deal) if they are out playing their contract vastly to get a pay raise sooner. Its the system the NFL operates under