Now Official:: Zubes resigns, 3 years $9.3 mil

MadDog2020

A 3mm 3rd year isn't going to hurt us... I'm fine with it.

That third year likely made him sign today rather than test the market.

We would have had to give him a third year anyway since other teams would have offered it. Not crazy about the third year but all FA's will get overpaid in terms of dollars or years regardless.

I guess with the players that will be available are out there and the financial problems of the Devils it's better to sign someone you know. Zubrus is not a 1st or 2nd line player today actually hasn't been since he signed with the Devils. He's a good 3rd liner. 3  years is much too long but probably necessary to get him  to sign. I agree they would want to buy him out after next season or on 3rd year. $3M is also too much for him but considering, I would have liked and have been more comfortable with $2.5M/yr. 

Listen to Lou, with the contract he has to date given out and considering their finances I don't expect much from the Devils next season. Surprise me LOU.

DJ Zubes will be spinning in NJ for 3 more years! What he provides off the ice (vet leadership, great locker room guy, and eurobeats) will make up for the on ice decline unless the decline is rapid. Also, the bar I watch a lot of games at has a cute Lithuanian bartender and we always exchange ZUBBES chants. She says Zubes is huge in Lithuania; especially with the ladies.

I guess with the players that will be available are out there and the financial problems of the Devils it's better to sign someone you know. Zubrus is not a 1st or 2nd line player today actually hasn't been since he signed with the Devils. He's a good 3rd liner. 3  years is much too long but probably necessary to get him  to sign. I agree they would want to buy him out after next season or on 3rd year. $3M is also too much for him but considering, I would have liked and have been more comfortable with $2.5M/yr. 

Listen to Lou, with the contract he has to date given out and considering their finances I don't expect much from the Devils next season. Surprise me LOU.

Debbie Downer

This is a fair signing.  Zubie is already a player who provides diminishing returns each year.  He provides very little offensive upside, but he is a player that is really built for the playoffs.   If we are lucky enough to make the playoffs next year, he could at least help us get to a second round, which justifies his regular season contract.

This is a fair signing.  Zubie is already a player who provides diminishing returns each year.  He provides very little offensive upside, but he is a player that is really built for the playoffs.   If we are lucky enough to make the playoffs next year, he could at least help us get to a second round, which justifies his regular season contract.

His best season as a Devil was 2011-2012.  Hard to count a point total from a shortened season, in which a fluke injury kept him out for half of it, as diminishing returns.  

• Like 1

Fine with it. It's Zuby. A little less and for 2 years would have been optimum, but what are you going to do.

I do like about Zuby he's a hard worker, you know what you get, a consumate pro, and he's never won a Stanley Cup. He still wants it, of course, and plans to do it here. I want a guy like that on my team.

Okay so in 2015-16 the Devils right now have Kovalchuk and Zajac with Loktionov, Josefson, and Henrique as cost-controlled players.  And Zubrus.  What I'm hoping is that this leads to letting one of Carter and Bernier go, not that I don't like them, but they are going to be both older and more expensive after next season.  There's just no way you can assume that Zubrus will be capable of playing in a top 9 in 2015-16.  The trouble here is that this is when people like Pietila should be, if he ever is, for NHL duty.

Blech.  I love Zubrus but 3 years is a buyout waiting to happen.  Hoping the number comes in around 8.5M total.

A little dramatic. When you look at what Philly's paying Bryzgalov not to play for them, you can't honestly think a $3M/3 year deal is buyout worthy? Not really going to cripple our cap situation in any way, we're not breaking the bank here.

Edited by DJ Eco

I think this is fine.  It's in the same vein as some trauma signings but with a more down to earth do-able bent to it. It's got loyalty written all over it on the organization's end, which I like.  It's good vibes while not being too insane.

What I don't like, is that it seems like it was necessary to get this done.  Reading between the lines - the fact they needed to hammer out this loyalty signing...  So timing and numbers not at all desperate - yet we can read in the urgency.  But it's not over the top...but it is insurance. I'm not ebing cryptic here right?  You all understand what I'm writing, yeah?

The trouble here is that this is when people like Pietila should be, if he ever is, for NHL duty.

I have no idea what that means. he should be in the Zube's role? making this money?  You're worried we'd sign him to this? That Zubes is filling his space?  I think it's good Zube's would be here to train him.  :noclue:

A little dramatic. When you look at what Philly's paying Bryzgalov not to play for them, you can't honestly think a $3M/3 year deal is buyout worthy? Not really going to cripple our cap situation in any way, we're not breaking the bank here.

Dainius Zubrus was never that good a player, and players with his pedigree don't often have good Year 36 seasons.  The Devils have not been a cap team since 2010-11 and don't figure to be a cap team in the future, so I don't care about the salary cap, I care about the internal budget.  With Henrique, Loktionov, and Josefson all arbitration eligible by Year 3, the Devils won't be getting a ton of savings out of their forwards (They should be getting a lot out of their defense).

I have no idea what that means. he should be in the Zube's role? making this money?  You're worried we'd sign him to this? That Zubes is filling his space?  I think it's good Zube's would be here to train him.  :noclue:

Not making this money, but yeah, someone younger should be able to fill his spot by Year 3, and the Devils should be able to spend this money better elsewhere.

The deal is short enough as to where in year 3, even if DZ isn't as useful a player anymore - he could be moved. He has a great reputation around the league. 3M isn't a big sum even if he's dealt before year 3 begins.

I'm assuming this deal will come with an NTC.  And again, the usual caveats apply - while 35+ isn't a huge deal anymore, if he's doing fine, you won't want to trade him, if he's not, you will, and the market for him will be much smaller.

I'll also add that he isn't that old.  He'll be 37 by the SCF in the last year of the deal.  There's no reason to believe he can't be at least a useful player at that point.

He turns 38 in June 2016.  Aging curves aren't that hard - the better a player is, the longer it takes for him to become a non-factor.  Zubrus was a slightly above-average forward, but he's coming off his worst shots/60 campaign (granted, a shortened season both by injury and lockout), and the comparables to him don't look that great at age 37.

MSWEET must be estatic that his favorite customer won't be going anywhere anytime soon.

I kinda knew it already ;-)... he ain't leaving the best camera store in the country for even more money on another team

..though we do ship

• Like 1

I'll also add that he isn't that old.  He'll be 37 by the SCF in the last year of the deal.  There's no reason to believe he can't be at least a useful player at that point.

Agreed... His play style doesn't rely on speed, mostly his size and poise. His game is very localized, along the boards, and I see that style of play as one of the few that doesn't downgrade too harshly or quickly with age.

Debbie Downer

You're entitled to your opinion as am I. Some Devils fans like yourself I guess drink the kool-aid. The hockey I know is about making the playoffs and not always losing in round one. Some fans like yourself I guess are satisfied with less. Winning is everything in my world.

You're entitled to your opinion as am I. Some Devils fans like yourself I guess drink the kool-aid. The hockey I know is about making the playoffs and not always losing in round one. Some fans like yourself I guess are satisfied with less. Winning is everything in my world.

They were in the finals a year ago.