Lecavalier bought out

BlueSkirt

I've got a question about this..

So his annual salary is about 7.7m, which he will get paid no matter what.  This seems to mean that he can sign anywhere he wants at any cap hit and still get paid the same amount of money.  Granted, my money is on him going to Montreal, but what is stopping him from signing in a place like Pittsburgh for the league minimum just to squeeze into their cap, with TBL picking up the rest of the check.

Edited by Crisis

I've got a question about this..

So his annual salary is about 7.7m, which he will get paid no matter what.  This seems to mean that he can sign anywhere he wants at any cap hit and still get paid the same amount of money.  Granted, my money is on him going to Montreal, but what is stopping him from signing in a place like Pittsburgh for the league minimum just to squeeze into their cap, with TBL picking up the rest of the check.

Nothing at all.  If he wants to pull a Lebron and play for a championship, he can sign for cheap with a team like Pittsburgh or Chicago.  

I hope he doesn't, but I don't think there's a rule stating he can't do that.

as I understand it the team now owes him 32.67 milion spread over 14 years, which is about 2.2 million per year.

He's now a UFA, so he is free to sign with anybody (save for Tampa), for any amount over the league minimum, for any term.

Edited by BlueSkirt

I think we'll be seeing the end of an era in Pittsburgh. Swept by the Bruins? Shaky goaltending? Their cap will be hard to squeeze players in? We always just assume that's where UFA/trade bait players want to go, but I can't help but think those feelings are changing.

We're seeing teams built like Pittsburgh and New York not winning Cups. Teams built like Boston, L.A., Chicago (and I'll throw Detroit in there still too based on their style) are.

Edited by DJ Eco
  • Like 1

Welcome Alex Barkov to Tampa, I guess.

I have always been a big fan of Lecavalier, so I'd like to see him in a Devils jersey, too. Not sure if he'd fit on the team right now, but I'd be happy with it for the right price. He'd be especially helpful if Clarkson is too expensive.

But honestly, I see him signing with Montreal if they'll pay him enough.

Welcome Alex Barkov to Tampa, I guess.

I have always been a big fan of Lecavalier, so I'd like to see him in a Devils jersey, too. Not sure if he'd fit on the team right now, but I'd be happy with it for the right price. He'd be especially helpful if Clarkson is too expensive.

But honestly, I see him signing with Montreal if they'll pay him enough.

they already have galchenyuk, desharnais and plekanec as a top 3 center... not sure which one of them would bump halpern off the 4th line.

I would hope so. He is one of my all time favorite players.

Since hitting his stride in 2002-03, he's put up 817 points (302 goals and 515 assists) in 779 games played...in the Dead Puck Era, no less.  Number of regular season games missed in that time?  Seven.  He has played in all of his team's games in 8 out of the last 10 seasons.  Guy really has had a special career. 

Since hitting his stride in 2002-03, he's put up 817 points (302 goals and 515 assists) in 779 games played...in the Dead Puck Era, no less.  Number of regular season games missed in that time?  Seven.  He has played in all of his team's games in 8 out of the last 10 seasons.  Guy really has had a special career. 

and he owes it all to Lecavalier. He's the one who got him a training camp invite as an undrafted player in Tampa. At some point they were both saying that they wanted to play their whole career together. It must be a really really though moment for them now.

which brings me back to a point i made awhile ago. And obviously its easy for me to say being just a regular guy but obviously when you can get a top of the line contract and long term. Personally i'd sign somewhere where i want to be and sign to a modest cap hit. Its still a lottttt of money but then we saw the stress and the trouble you get into if you don't live up to it. Fans turns against you. youre always stressed of being bought out or before to be sent in the AHL etc etc... again its easy for me to say but still.

Edited by SterioDesign

and he owes it all to Lecavalier. He's the one who got him a training camp invite as an undrafted player in Tampa. At some point they were both saying that they wanted to play their whole career together. It must be a really really though moment for them now.

which brings me back to a point i made awhile ago. And obviously its easy for me to say being just a regular guy but obviously when you can get a top of the line contract and long term. Personally i'd sign somewhere where i want to be and sign to a modest cap hit. Its still a lottttt of money but then we saw the stress and the trouble you get into if you don't live up to it. Fans turns against you. youre always stressed of being bought out or before to be sent in the AHL etc etc... again its easy for me to say but still.

If I thought I could negotiate a $85M contract over 11 years, I would do it in a heartbeat. I could care less who hates me after that. See ya on my private island, NOT, it's private biotch! lol.

• Like 1