Best pick at No. 3: Scott Niedermayer, Devils

msweet

To celebrate the 50th anniversary of the first NHL Draft, NHL.com assembled a 13-member panel to select the best first-round picks of all time, based on selection number. NHL.com will feature one of the top first-round picks each day, beginning with the best No. 30 pick on June 1 and culminating with the all-time No. 1 pick on June 30, the day of the 2013 NHL Draft.

Today: The best No. 3 pick: Scott NiedermayerNew Jersey Devils, 1991

Tom Kurvers was coming off his best NHL season when the New Jersey Devils traded him on Oct. 16, 1989, in exchange for the Toronto Maple Leafs' first pick in the 1991 NHL Draft.

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=675222&cmpid=nhl-twt

Devils got lucky.  League wouldn't give the Sharks the first overall pick, since that was Lindros and they didn't want him suffering on an expansion team, so the Sharks got #2.

Apparently the big debate at the time was who would go number 3, at least that's how I remember the TV analysts talking.  Lindros was the definite #1, Falloon then definite #2, and the either Nieds or Lachance could go #3.  Lachance was the safer pick but Nieds had the bigger upside.

Devils got lucky.  League wouldn't give the Sharks the first overall pick, since that was Lindros and they didn't want him suffering on an expansion team, so the Sharks got #2.

Apparently the big debate at the time was who would go number 3, at least that's how I remember the TV analysts talking.  Lindros was the definite #1, Falloon then definite #2, and the either Nieds or Lachance could go #3.  Lachance was the safer pick but Nieds had the bigger upside.

Yes, I remember this too, Lindros and Falloon were as set in stone at #1 and #2 as it gets.  For Falloon, apparently it was a perfect storm of circumstances as to why he didn't have much of a career...lack of conditioning for one (earning him the derogatory nickname "Fat Balloon"), and jumping into the NHL on an expansion team before he was ready to play.  I remember when he went to the Oilers, I saw a little blurb that simply read "And the Edmonton Oilers will become the fourth team to discover Pat Falloon can't play."  Ouch. 

I counted how many times each team shows up on this list. Here's to our bad scouting!

Who ever said we had bad scouting? I hope you don't have to hear too many people spreading such bs. :) Post 2000 - sure, usually not as flashy as in the 90s, but the picks were usually lower, too, no? Other than that, the Devils have a tremendous tradition of drafting very good-to-great players.