Would yo do Larsson vs Seguin?

caron14

Tricky one. On one side you have a young defencemen who will be really good in 1-2 years and that hasn't had the chance to play on a regular basis, and on the other side you have a solid established forward. Since we have a really deep D-men prospect pool, I would say yes. But I really like Larsson and I believe that he will be great, with a little more time. He still need to develop, he is 20 years old.. He will be a really good first pairing d-man.

If it happened, I would be a little bit pissed to lose Larsson, but I don't believe it will.

Edited by Devs3cups

Larsson is going to be our best defenseman for the next decade.   No way, do you make this deal, quality defensemen are a premium.   Seguin is going to be out of hockey in the next three years.  He is the new  Mike Comerie.

What? No Sequin is wayyyyyy too good.

Good enough to play sporadically on the third and forth lines in Boston. He is a head case that the team is tired of.

Good enough for 120+ points in 200 reg season games and 48 total playoff games under his belt..........at 21. How would you respond to signing a 7 year extension that takes you to 2020 for $40M? I can see exactly how a 21 year old may not keep up what he was doing immediately after that. His game needs refining unquestionably, and reading this sounds like he needs to grow up a bit, but his stats speak for themselves; as does his age.

In contrast, you're so quick to crown Larsson as the 2nd coming of Niedermayer, but he has barely shown this sort of skill yet. I'm not doubting that he will emerge as a great player once developed and I am not at all giving up on him yet, but c'mon. Your supreme confidence in Larsson and complete lack thereof in Seguin is the ultimate definition of overrating our own players.

Edited by ghdi

Good enough for 120+ points in 200 reg season games and 48 total playoff games under his belt..........at 21. How would you respond to signing a 7 year extension that takes you to 2020 for $40M? I can see exactly how a 21 year old may not keep up what he was doing immediately after that. His game needs refining unquestionably, and reading this sounds like he needs to grow up a bit, but his stats speak for themselves; as does his age.

In contrast, you're so quick to crown Larsson as the 2nd coming of Niedermayer, but he has barely shown this sort of skill yet. I'm not doubting that he will emerge as a great player once developed and I am not at all giving up on him yet, but c'mon. Your supreme confidence in Larsson and complete lack thereof in Seguin is the ultimate definition of overrating our own players.

This.

Mike Comrie scored a lot of points too and basically became a journeymen that no coach or organization trusted. Seguin looks like the same type of lazy, immature player. No one is going to give a 7 year contract to a kid who isn't willing to invest in himself.

Defensemen are a totally different animal in terms of development. But Larsson is solid with a great hockey IQ and is willing to make himself better. Larsson's career in the NHL will be far longer and more productive than Seguin's.

Show me one post where I ever said Larsson was the next Nieds.

Show me one post where I ever said Larsson was the next Nieds.

It wasnt a direct quote, it was based on this:

Larsson is going to be our best defenseman for the next decade.

Which is possible, but lets not get ahead of ourselves. He's not proven himself yet and Seguin, in comparison, has proven what hes capable of.

You're completely devaluing Seguin based on hearsay and one postseason. I don't believe Chiarelli intended on trading him in the first place, I think it was to give him a kick in the ass. Just like Patrick Kane needed. And sure, the development differences can't be excluded, but Larsson is not a guarantee. I believe in him and I think he will be very good, but it remains to be seen if he's a Niedermayer type career wise or another Tallinder.

And Comrie? He got injured. Often. After his second year he never played 82 again. There's nothing in Seguin's history that shows that will happen to him.

Edited by ghdi

It wasnt a direct quote, it was based on this:

Which is possible, but lets not get ahead of ourselves. He's not proven himself yet and Seguin, in comparison, has proven what hes capable of.

You're completely devaluing Seguin based on hearsay and one postseason. I don't believe Chiarelli intended on trading him in the first place, I think it was to give him a kick in the ass. Just like Patrick Kane needed. And sure, the development differences can't be excluded, but Larsson is not a guarantee. I believe in him and I think he will be very good, but it remains to be seen if he's a Niedermayer type career wise or another Tallinder.

And Comrie? He got injured. Often. After his second year he never played 82 again. There's nothing in Seguin's history that shows that will happen to him.

I am devaluing Seguin based on his entire NHL career to date.   Julian does not trust him, he hasn't proven he has what it takes, and he isn't a very smart hockey player.

Larsson is developing right on schedule for a defensemen and way ahead of schedule based on his age.