Devils trade #9 pick in 2013 Draft to Vancouver for Cory Schneider

'7'

i couldn't believe this trade when it happened. everyone in the chatroom couldn't believe Nichushkin had fallen to us.  I had always wanted him in a NJ jersey, and he was right in front of us.

originally i was pissed, but once it started to settle i realized that we just inherited our future, a goalie that has put up huge numbers the last few years.

.927 sv%

2.11GAA

playing 30 games last year and

.937 sv% 1.96 GAA

the year before, playing 33 games.

I could definitely get comfortable with him in net

also getting a solid goalie post-brodeur may have a positive influence on the free agents we could sign. as they'd see no question marks in net.

"Schneider, 27, has a save percentage of .931 over the last three seasons, best among goaltenders with at least 75 games, 4th goalie in the league last season on SV%"

this also feels pretty good.

Edited by SterioDesign

Goal scoring can be had via UFA, nothing stopping us. Goaltending however was a major major major monkey on our back, and finally I think we've solved it. Have fun this or next offseason trying to get a #1 goaltender, would've been impossible.

Absolute brilliant trade.

This is a fantastic deal. A lot of people are talking about a solution once Brodeur retires. How about a solution right now. We are going from one of the worst goalies of the last few years to one of the best. This is the answer to the goaltending this coming season. This could be a very akward season, but Schneider needs to be the starter from game 1. It can't even be an argument based on current skill.

I have no clue how Marty will handle being a backup. It isnt for every great but many have done it.

One last thing. With Schneider as the goalie, you make the pick being given up next year a lot crappier. This was a deal that guarantees avoiding embarrassment.

I was stunned by this news after getting home from vacation.  And I like it.  We have our goalie of the present and the future.  I'd be stunned if all goes well, that Schneider doesn't sign an extension next offseason.  Also as Tri said, I'm not sure there will be all too many teams out there with the Cap room to make themselves a competitor if he does make it to FA in 2015.  I think this is a good spot for both the team and player and I think Schneider strangely comes to an easier situation to deal with (Brodeur) than in Vancouver (Luongo) for obvious reasons.  While I love Marty, it's clear he needs to take a back seat and enjoy the farewell tour and I think Schneider is a huge upgrade for us right away too.  As for Hedberg, I've never been a huge fan, so I don't really have any significant feeling of loss for seeing him go.

Also, in terms of us tradining the pick, I was surpised, but I was not surprised Shinkaruk who many were touting after, fell so far to the back of the 1st as well. 

I expect Lou to continue to be active on the FA and trade front here over the next week or so.  I'm very doubtful Clarkson is coming back, so Lou ideally needs two Fs in addition to bringing back Elias and Zubrus.

Edited by coldply123

You don't 'bring on' talent when you draft a player at 9th overall.  You hope that he improves enough to be able to play in the NHL (and hopefully excel).  Like I said, when you look historically at the draft, only half of the guys taken between 7-11 turned out to be average or better players.

This is why I've been so quiet.  High draft picks are fine but this team needed something now - something as certain and in the present as possible - not a great future possibility we probably have to wait a season or two for.  I'm not risk averse - I just like the teams odds better with this move than I would with a possibility. 

This is a fantastic deal. A lot of people are talking about a solution once Brodeur retires. How about a solution right now. We are going from one of the worst goalies of the last few years to one of the best. This is the answer to the goaltending this coming season. This could be a very akward season, but Schneider needs to be the starter from game 1. It can't even be an argument based on current skill.

I have no clue how Marty will handle being a backup. It isnt for every great but many have done it.

One last thing. With Schneider as the goalie, you make the pick being given up next year a lot crappier. This was a deal that guarantees avoiding embarrassment.

This could be dicey at first, I don't know, but I think it's clear Marty will have a job with the organization for life if he wants it.  There are worse things than having to take a backseat to a newcomer for the first time in his career, for just one season.  I don't expect Marty to love this, but I think deep down he's got to understand his days of being the unquestioned man are very likely over. 

I'm guessing it will start off as a rotation early on.  Marty will have to play well beyond expectations to keep it that way.

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976

this is a great long term move.  If this move was made by the flyers, objective fans would have proclaimed it brilliant.  This helps keep the team in the hunt right away versus a player that might be something in a couple of years.  As much of a lock as Larssen was supposed to be, look how he's struggled at times.  Schnieder is proven at this leve.

It'll be a nice controlled experiment to see if save percentage translates across teams. Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

We get it, you hate the move.  The Devils found a guy who's still young, in his prime, and could be here for quite a while.  No living year-to-year, no wondering how the Devils get through 2013-14 with two oldsters, and what happens in 2014-2015.  No more wondering about Wedge and Kinkaid and Clermont.  This is such a positive, I have no idea how anyone can bitch about this one.

Lou said marty is still no.1

Fine if Lou wants to say that now as to be respectful, but there's no way Marty hangs onto the job if he struggles, or if Schneider clearly outplays him.  The writing is very much on the wall here.

• Like 1

Posts like this are so fvcking stupid. When and if he proves what a fantastic addition he is to the team, we will re-sign him. Was it stupid of Edmonton to offer a first, second, and prospect? This is a very, very good trade. It addresses a NEED, and it's the swap of a "could-be" prospect with an established, young NHL goaltender in his prime.

It's a valid thing to worry about, how is it stupid? Because we retain our UFA talent so well in the past? Parise, gionta, rafalski, holik, gomez....And then you say that people are "fvcking stupid" for thinking that. Go sit in a corner somewhere will you.

It's a valid thing to worry about, how is it stupid? Because we retain our UFA talent so well in the past? Parise, gionta, rafalski, holik, gomez....And then you say that people are "fvcking stupid" for thinking that. Go sit in a corner somewhere will you.

Why is it that some Devil fans insist on making it sound as though 100% of the Devils UFAs leave?  Lou keeps his share too.  And some of those guys he let go willingly, when he deemed them not worth what they got elsewhere. 

No one keeps everybody in the salary cap era.  And in case you didn't notice, he kept Kovalchuk when almost everyone thought he was a sure goner.

Why is it that some Devil fans insist on making it sound as though 100% of the Devils UFAs leave?  Lou keeps his share too.  And some of those guys he let go willingly, when he deemed them not worth what they got elsewhere. 

No one keeps everybody in the salary cap era.  And in case you didn't notice, he kept Kovalchuk when almost everyone thought he was a sure goner.

I knew a Devils fan who was convinced Brodeur was gone after 98.  Still here 15 years later.

Awful, I'm sorry. The only way this makes sense if the deal was already done and Lou couldn't pull back when Nishushkin was available. However good Schneider may be, he can't score goals. And I also note that Marty has yet to be heard from. We, in effect traded a guy who you could pencil in for 20 goals this year, for a goalie who will play 30 games this year, and might be gone the year after next if Lou does his usual mo contract talks until the very end.

This is Jets taking Kyle Brady bad. This is where Lou finally lost it.

This is nothing like the Jets taking Kyle Brady. Horrible analogy

Listen I liked Nichushkin, he would've been my pick if we drafted in that slot...however this team doesn't absolutely need Nichushkin now, but we do absolutely need a goalie for the future. We got that.

Plus Nichushkin is still a bit raw, still a bit of a project

This is nothing like the Jets taking Kyle Brady. Horrible analogy

Listen I liked Nichushkin, he would've been my pick if we drafted in that slot...however this team doesn't absolutely need Nichushkin now, but we do absolutely need a goalie for the future. We got that.

Plus Nichushkin is still a bit raw, still a bit of a project

He's convinced Nichuskin is gonna be a 40 goal scorer in the next two years based on nothing but a few positive projections. You're getting the guy who I believe has hte highest save % in the league over the last 3 years (albeit based on fewer games than other guys like Lundqvist). Number 9 picks aren't exactly sure things in any sense. Ther'es a reason this guy was falling 

edit: Tri beat me to it, but he wasn't exactly lighting up the KHL in his short time there. 

Edited by DH26