Devils trade #9 pick in 2013 Draft to Vancouver for Cory Schneider

'7'

definently DO NOT hope that marty gets "beaten out" for his number one spot.. thats a jerk off comment and a half right there.. if youve been a fan here for even the past ten years i really dont know how you could even say something like this.. thats the problem here people are so quick to forget what some of these players have done for this organization.. especially marty hes a lifer here and he became the best ever to play the game in net. People are un real. It will be a sad day when marty takes his step back.

I think with fewer games to play Marty will be sharper. I think with Schneider having a good year the team will also be upbeat. Hopefully Marty will really enjoy the season, and view it as a chance to go on a 'Farewell Tour' as it were, and just enjoy himself. But I am definitely interested in seeing Schneider play 40+ games as well. It looks like he's played more than 43 games in a season exactly once, for the Manitoba Moose. I don't see anything in his history that makes me think he can play 60 games a season year in/year out yet. Maybe he can, but who knows.

Edited by jim777

I hope it brings a little fire out of Marty so he goes out on a good season.

I hope so too, but IMO not to say LD's the genius of goalies, but Schneider has to go in as the #1 just based on the last couple years overall

I think the ideal situation now is they split it 50/50 and the extra rest allows Marty to up his game a bit.. Seems to me like Schneider is the better goaltender at the moment, but Marty is impossible to "bench" because of who he is and what he's accomplished.

I think the ideal situation is Marty teaches Cory everything he knows Cory learns and retains it and even builds upon it and Marty sees it's time to move on, mission accomplished and we septpeat Cup wins until the league institutes a new rule akin to term limits on how many times a team can win the Stanley Cup in a decade.

• Like 2

Sounds to me that while Schneider didn't want to be a part time backup behind a guy with 9 more years on his contract, he is THRILLED with the idea of coming here and playing with Marty. It's a completely different situation.There really shouldn't be anything but smiles between the two of them. Marty will be better with a lighter load, Corey's load will go up until he's eventually The Man, and even if he's 50/50 for two years there is a light at the end of the tunnel, and a goal tending legacy in NJ like only a few teams in hockey history have ever had a claim to. He knows he isn't going to claim "No. 1" with Marty here, and I seriously doubt he's a big enough @sshole to think that. He has shown nothing but respect for Marty and it certainly seems sincere to me. 

The only possible issue I see (and it's the last time I'll say it) is whether Corey can play 60 or 65 games a season for the next 7 years or so. If so, we're golden :)

I hope Schneider starts more than Marty. Marty isn't good enough to start anymore, plain and simple. Schneider is light years better than brodeur.

Yup I'm with you on this. It's not even comparable bt them at this point. It's the equivalent of starting Biron over Lundqvist strictly in terms of ability

I hope Schneider starts more than Marty. Marty isn't good enough to start anymore, plain and simple. Schneider is light years better than brodeur.

Marty will get the majority of starts when both are healthy. Schneider will get plenty of games between his regular starts and Marty getting more and more nagging injuries these days. It's going to be a transition period at first.

Keep in mind, Marty and moose are loved in the locker room. Let Schneider ease his way onto the team and into the starting role as the season goes on.

Marty will get the majority of starts when both are healthy. Schneider will get plenty of games between his regular starts and Marty getting more and more nagging injuries these days. It's going to be a transition period at first.

Keep in mind, Marty and moose are loved in the locker room. Let Schneider ease his way onto the team and into the starting role as the season goes on.

By majority I hoep you mean 51-49 at the most because it's really an egregious mistake to play Brodeur over him at this point. I know what Marty means to the team and I don't think it's realistic to make him a Kevin Weekes level of play backup, but Schneider is clearly the better player and I think he has to play a lot. If he doesn't, he's not gonna re-sign here before UFA esp if Brodeur doesn't retire after this year. But no point in worrying about that now when we pretty much have no idea at this point how it's gonna turn out :P

By majority I hoep you mean 51-49 at the most because it's really an egregious mistake to play Brodeur over him at this point. I know what Marty means to the team and I don't think it's realistic to make him a Kevin Weekes level of play backup, but Schneider is clearly the better player and I think he has to play a lot. If he doesn't, he's not gonna re-sign here before UFA esp if Brodeur doesn't retire after this year. But no point in worrying about that now when we pretty much have no idea at this point how it's gonna turn out :P

For the sake of everyone involved, it will be a gradual process. They won't throw Schneider into an uncomfortable position, and they won't just put Marty on the bench. Schneider may well be the starter by the end of the season, but he won't be in October. Besides, the kid is eager to to earn his spot. Let him earn it.

For the sake of everyone involved, it will be a gradual process. They won't throw Schneider into an uncomfortable position, and they won't just put Marty on the bench. Schneider may well be the starter by the end of the season, but he won't be in October. Besides, the kid is eager to to earn his spot. Let him earn it.

And you're probably right in that Marty will end up playing the majority. But, that's the problem. There's no reason Marty should be starting anymore. He isnt owed anything, nor is he entitled to start. He won his little cover vote, Lou even drafted his son out of respect. Hell, Marty's been starting games he shouldn't have been playing the past few years because of his legacy alone. We don't owe him anything else. He's 41 and should not be starting most games over an elite goalie. It's just silly.

Edited by devlman

Schneider probably already thinks he earned his chance though (and he's right). The highest SV% (min 100 games) over the last 3 years should earn you that over the team with arguably the wrost starting goalie in the league. If Schneider plays fewer than Marty, it would be ridiculous

And you're probably right in that Marty will end up playing the majority. But, that's the problem. There's no reason Marty should be starting anymore. He isnt owed anything, nor is he entitled to start. He won his little cover vote, Lou even drafted his son out of respect. Hell, Marty's been starting games he shouldn't have been playing the past few years because of his legacy alone. We don't owe him anything else. He's 41 and should not be starting most games over an elite goalie. It's just silly.

You have a team of 23 people who look to Marty as the leader. If you unceremoniously dump Marty on the bench and hand the job to Schneider without him playing a few games, you risk animosity building. They already have a well respected player in Moose being shown the door. You have to let him come in and earn that spot from Marty. And Marty is owed the chance to defend his spot.

We all know Schneider is better at this point. That will become clearer as the season goes on.

Schneider probably already thinks he earned his chance though (and he's right). The highest SV% (min 100 games) over the last 3 years should earn you that over the team with arguably the wrost starting goalie in the league. If Schneider plays fewer than Marty, it would be ridiculous

I'm guessing when they come out of preseason, Schneider and Brodeur are either coming out on equal footing, or Marty will be slightly ahead (due to his time here more than anything else).

Over the first 15-20 games, it won't surprise me if Marty gets a little more of the starts, but I don't think he gets much of a leash beyond that.  If he's around his aggregate .905 save% of the last three years and not looking good, and Schneider is around .925 or so and is playing as well as we all hope he can, Schneider will get more of the starts very quickly.  I don't think the Devils will fvck around with this one...they will do their best to be respectful to Marty and will give him a shot to get a slight majority of the playing time, but if he shows that he's not up to it, he's starting no more than 30 games or so.  The Devils will have their share of "now" guys on the team that can't afford to see an all-time declining great get victory tour starts at their expense. 

DD56's post pretty much says it all...anyone who thinks the Devils will just plunk Marty on the back-up pine with zero transition clearly doesn't realize how these things need to be handled, for everyone involved. 

One more from Lamoriello. Said he doesn't think team or Schneider are thinking he'll be in NJ for just two years (what's left on contract).

LL is confident Schneider will remain after his two years.Its good to see LL getting the job done!

and Schneider quoted as saying the same.

There won't be 0 transition, but if Brodeur is weak out of the blocks once again, I don't think there will be much hesitation.  It's an Olympic year so there will probably be a ton of back to backs - basically neither guy should start both of those.

And yeah, I could see NJ offering Schneider an 8 year deal if this is a good season for him.

Edited by Triumph

There won't be 0 transition, but if Brodeur is weak out of the blocks once again, I don't think there will be much hesitation.  It's an Olympic year so there will probably be a ton of back to backs - basically neither guy should start both of those.

And yeah, I could see NJ offering Schneider an 8 year deal if this is a good season for him.

I think everyone agrees on this.  If Marty's first six or seven games see him stopping 87%-88% of the shots coming his way, I think the transition begins right then.

And yeah, good year for Schneider and him being happy in NJ = 8 year deal, more than likely. 

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976

I'm okay with this year being 50-50, with the understanding that this is the last year that Marty can sniff #1A/B duty.

If he wants to keep playing as a backup (assuming he's capable), then hang onto him for a year or two more until one of the prospects are ready to go.