Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
'7'

Devils trade #9 pick in 2013 Draft to Vancouver for Cory Schneider

342 posts in this topic

Bottom line, it's a lot easier to get scorers than it is to get legit #1 goaltenders in their prime. We just got the latter and we did it without sacrificing ANYONE currently from our roster. Now it's time to sign some free agents.

Guys, you can't expect to get a guy signed for life for just a 1st round pick (and if you do, it means he has an albatros contract you have to accept and you are the one getting screwed in the trade).

Remember those deadline deals? A 1st plus assets for TWO MONTHS of a guy? Yeah, keep complaining.

Injuries killed us this year.  19-19-10 was not good enough.  We'll now be more competetive.  I'm looking to being over .500 next year.  Welcome Cory !

As for who we would've drafted, we'll likely see that answer in 2-3 years.   Generally speaking a #9 pick results in a good player 2/3 times and a marginal player the other time.   

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=426689

Schneider, 27, has a save percentage of .931 over the last three seasons,best among goaltenders with at least 75 games and was expected to be the Vancouver Canucks' goatlender of the future, but their inability to move out Roberto Luongo and his sizeable contract, left a Schneider deal as the only viable solution to Vancouver's financial and goaltending concerns.

However, for a variety of reasons, Schneider is a 27-year-old that has yet to play even 35 games in an NHL season and if he's going to be a top-tier starting goaltender, it's about time to take on a starter's workload and maintain the high level of play he's established in his limited NHL playing time.

In New Jersey, the Devils have Martin Brodeur, who has been the backbone of the franchise for nearly two decades, but Brodeur has a .905 save percentage over the last three seasons, which ranks 29th out of 31 goaltenders to have played at least 100 games, and he's 41-years-old, so it's entirely understandable that the Devils are looking to upgrade

Edited by BlueSkirt

Right now, it's a great trade. If Schneider re-signs in two years, it's a great trade. If he leaves when his current contract is up... well, we'll have to cross that bridge when (if) we come to it. Even if Schneider ends up getting a huge payday from someone else, we'll still have Wedgewood in the system (hopefully), so it shouldn't be that big of a blow.

This and this. The "he might leave in two years!!!!!!!!!" argument baffles me. Our first round pick might break his leg! Maybe he'd be another tedenby! There's a lot less "if's" with an established #1 goaltender in his prime than there are with an 18 year old kid. This is a huge addition to our roster, important, and it was a steal of a trade. 

Nishuskin dont score taht much in the KHL... Devils trade their pick because they couldnt have a real goal scorer a that position (he still love shinkaruk)

Be hey im really happy and exited...

I have friend who are canuck fans and they hate the trade.... They thought they would have a 1 pick  a 2 pick and a legit top 6 player

So what happens this year? Do the Devils go with three goaltenders or is Moose out the door? If the latter, how? Retirement? Buyout? Trade (after Moose waives his NTC)? Waivers?

I like this deal.  Offense comes and goes, but the Devils were going to walk into next year with the worst goaltending in the league.  They just fixed that.  And they have an older-ish team - yeah, it'd be nice to get someone in this year's draft, but you've got Kovalchuk around for a long time - if you think he can hold up until he's 35 (which a lot of his comps do), you're not set there, but you're not doing badly either.

The trouble is that Schneider is only signed for 2 more years and will command elite goalie prices when he comes available.  But you look around the league and a lot of teams already have their guy signed through that year, it's not a bad risk to take from that perspective.

I'm actually pretty indifferent about the trade. However, I am concerned about Lou's almost complete disregard for bringing on any solid offensive talent and Kovy doesn't count.

I'm actually pretty indifferent about the trade. However, I am concerned about Lou's almost complete disregard for bringing on any solid offensive talent and Kovy doesn't count.

You don't 'bring on' talent when you draft a player at 9th overall.  You hope that he improves enough to be able to play in the NHL (and hopefully excel).  Like I said, when you look historically at the draft, only half of the guys taken between 7-11 turned out to be average or better players.

Nishuskin dont score taht much in the KHL...

He hasnt even been in the KHL long. 6 pts in 18 reg season games and 9 in 25 playoff games. His KHL stats aren't the gauge of his talent. He was also 17 when he joined Traktor. 

We stole a fantastic goaltender for potential. While I wanted Nichushkin, we got Cory Schneider a true heir to Marty's throne,

Guys, you can't expect to get a guy signed for life for just a 1st round pick (and if you do, it means he has an albatros contract you have to accept and you are the one getting screwed in the trade).

Remember those deadline deals? A 1st plus assets for TWO MONTHS of a guy? Yeah, keep complaining.

The leverage is in the moment.  Teams pay big at the deadline because they think that player might put them over the top.  Today, the leverage was with the pick holder.  Personally, I would have traded it for more picks.  Schneider has never been a number one goalie.  He's been a 1b and only for a small sample.  He's already 27 years old.  That's the age of free agency, already.  Sure, he has two years left on his contract but he's already at the age when he gets to make all the decisions. 

This is a great trade. You build a team from the goal forward. The future in goal was a huge hole in this team that has now been addressed. We had one 30 goal scorer in 2000, Elias. In 1995 and 2003, none. 

Schneider is on the phone on TSN right now. Sounds like he's kind of tired hearing all the trade speculation for the last few years - hopefully it means he'll get a deal done with us ASAP to avoid more rumours. ;)

I like this deal.  Offense comes and goes, but the Devils were going to walk into next year with the worst goaltending in the league.  They just fixed that.  And they have an older-ish team - yeah, it'd be nice to get someone in this year's draft, but you've got Kovalchuk around for a long time - if you think he can hold up until he's 35 (which a lot of his comps do), you're not set there, but you're not doing badly either.

The trouble is that Schneider is only signed for 2 more years and will command elite goalie prices when he comes available.  But you look around the league and a lot of teams already have their guy signed through that year, it's not a bad risk to take from that perspective.

The Devils are spending $8.5M (and maybe $10M if they humor Moose and keep him around) on goaltending this year, though, so it's not as if the "slot" won't be established to sign him.

I wonder if Moose gets waived and sent down to Albany as insurance against injury ?

Couldve guessed something was going to be done about the goaltending issue.. Its not deniable.. But now what happens with moose he gets bought out?

The Devils are spending $8.5M (and maybe $10M if they humor Moose and keep him around) on goaltending this year, though, so it's not as if the "slot" won't be established to sign him.

I think it's more than $8.5 since Brodeur is getting 5 million this year despite the $4.5 cap hit.

I keep feeling better and better about this trade.

Goaltending after Marty is no longer a humongous question mark. How freaking sweet is that.

welcome aboard buddy !

schneider001_zpse3f1df5b.jpg

At least his hair matches the jersey lol.

At least his hair matches the jersey lol.

i was JUST about to edit my post and say that hahahaha SO. MUCH. RED.

I think it's more than $8.5 since Brodeur is getting 5 million this year despite the $4.5 cap hit.

I was just using cap slot, but even better, then.   When Marty comes off the book, you have all of that to apply towards Schneider and you shouldn't have to use it all, unless he plays spectacular and Lundqvist signs for a metric fvckton