CLARKSON SIGNS w/TORONTO $36.75M / 7yrs

CaptainRafalski

This whole scenario is "Bobby Holik II"

Clarkson is a good player, not a great one who has a role when placed with the right coach and situation.

He's wasn't so good before DeBoer

I understand your point, but Bobby was always a good player - I dont think the Devils can take credit for that.  The only loss for the Devils is that he would have been a great captain and vet here - mutually beneficial for everyone.  The way it went down - no real loss for the Devils.  And end of a fulfilling career for Bob.

Clarkson wasn't going to be any great shakes here.  Hence no stupid deal.  He won't be great shakes in Toronto but thank the lord he'll have a great life.  Party-time may be over --- or else he risks losing what he worked for in his personal life.  This is perfect - he's sewed up his earning years -- he WILL earn and there's no risk for him.  Man, his whole career has been on the line for long enough - busting his ass and living in fear that he wouldn't make it.  Now it's a done deal and he doesn't even have to pull up stakes - he can relax where he wants to be.  It's like the Parise move if anything and luckily David doesn't have those Cup ambitions Zach will always have burning. 

I'm really happy for him where I was really sorry for Holik.  I still am sorry for all that Holik lost.  Money doesn't make up for that.  and no one wants to hear about hockey from him now because of that stupid deal.  If he'd stayed here he'd have been free to blather all over the NHL and he'd be a proven leader so his word would have been the gosple he thinks it is.  It just sucks for him.  But he's got enough money so he can shoot at Lou photo targets and weep softly blame it on the beautiful vista from his porch.   Yeah sure you always wanted to be a rancher... sure. :rolleyes:

Edited by Pepperkorn

This is a hilarious overpayment, both in length and per year.  Devils were 100% right not to sign him to that kind of money.  That one has "bad contract" written all over it.

I doubt I'll boo him. I'll feel the same way I've always felt about him...apathetic. Glad he's gone.

• Like 1

I understand your point, but Bobby was always a good player - I dont think the Devils can take credit for that.  The only loss for the Devils is that he would have been a great captain and vet here - mutually beneficial for everyone.  The way it went down - no real loss for the Devils.  And end of a fulfilling career for Bob.

Clarkson wasn't going to be any great shakes here.  Hence no stupid deal.  He won't be great shakes in Toronto but thank the lord he'll have a great life.  Party-time may be over --- or else he risks losing what he worked for in his personal life.  This is perfect - he's sewed up his earning years -- he WILL earn and there's no risk for him.  Man, his whole career has been on the line for long enough - busting his ass and living in fear that he wouldn't make it.  Now it's a done deal and he doesn't even have to pull up stakes - he can relax where he wants to be.  It's like the Parise move if anything and luckily David doesn't have those Cup ambitions Zach will always have burning. 

I'm really happy for him where I was really sorry for Holik.  I still am sorry for all that Holik lost.  Money doesn't make up for that.  and no one wants to hear about hockey from him now because of that stupid deal.  If he'd stayed here he'd have been free to blather all over the NHL and he'd be a proven leader so his word would have been the gosple he thinks it is.  It just sucks for him.  But he's got enough money so he can shoot at Lou photo targets and weep softly blame it on the beautiful vista from his porch.   Yeah sure you always wanted to be a rancher... sure. :rolleyes:

Well put...Holik was a traitor though since he knew what you wrote and went for the money with our enemy... Clarkson is doing what actually makes the most sense

• Like 2

This is a hilarious overpayment, both in length and per year. Devils were 100% right not to sign him to that kind of money. That one has "bad contract" written all over it.

Especially in a high pressure environment like Toronto. A couple of bad games and the media will start to flip. I hope for his sake he scores on opening night.

Edited by Devil Dan 56

Especially in a high pressure environment like Toronto. A couple of bad games and the media will start to flip. I hope for his sake he scores on opening night.

Like I've always maintained...signing the deal and doing the lovefest press conference intros are the easy part.  Then comes that little thing called "earning the money", especially in a high-pressure environment like Toronto.  Clarkson saw first-hand how tough it was for Kovalchuk in that first year of his deal, when he struggled early on in 2010-11.  I'm guessing double, probably triple, that in Toronto if Clarkson doesn't get out of the gate fast. 

Nothing against David in the slightest though, it's clearly the place he wanted to be, and he's getting silly dollars to be there...can't say I blame him for taking the deal.  But I sure think Toronto was idiotic for giving it to him. 

• Like 1

Well, I would've like for Clarkson to return, but this had the same feel of Parise a year ago.  I'm not going to put down other teams for offerring money.  I'm a believer that you're worth what people are willing to pay.  Good for him.  Personally, I'm not convinced that Clarkson will re[licate what he did here.  The one thing that DID bother me, were the quotes attributed to Clarkson's agent earlier in the week.  It was clear to me then, that Clarkson wasn't coming back. 

I know -- that's what just hit me.  This is one of the nicest sincerest players to fans.  Leaf fans do not deserve him - they'll slaughter him and he'll have to hole up on the dressing room, and sound loop "no comment" for on his way to his car.  Well - that's where the life lesson is - not so much the hockey but human behavior. I think he'll be sheltered from it for the most part once the leafs make a stupid super star signing.  See THIS is where he needed the Suter buddy signing antic.