Season: 46 GP 22-40-62, +16, 37 PIM

Kelowna defeated Everett 6-3
Damon Severson D: -2
Season: 39 GP 11-26-37, +25, 30 PIM

Myles Bell RW: +1
Season: 44 GP 27-21-48, +18, 36 PIM

Thursday 1/23
KHL
Dinamo Minsk defeated Severstal 2-1 (SO)
Artur Gavrus F: DNP (Fever)
Season: 28 GP 1-2-3, -9, 8 PIM, 2.9 SH%, 1.2 SH/GP, 45.5 FO%, 11:38 ATOI

QMJHL
Gatineau lost to Quebec 6-2
Anthony Brodeur G: 29 Saves on 35 Shots
Season: 23 GP 10-11-0, 3.06 GAA, .885 SV%, 1 SO

-- Brodeur gave up 5 goals in the 3rd, 3 of them were power play goals for Quebec though.

OHL
North Bay defeated Saginaw 5-1
Ben Thomson LW: Goal (PP), E
Season: 34 GP 15-11-26, +5, 66 PIM

-- Thomson has 5 goals, 1 assist in his last 4 games.

Program Note: Ohio State (Gedig) at Wisconsin (Faust) tomorrow night at 9 on Big Ten Network.

QMJHL

Gatineau lost to Quebec 6-2

Anthony Brodeur G: 29 Saves on 35 Shots

Season: 23 GP 10-11-0, 3.06 GAA, .885 SV%, 1 SO

-- Brodeur gave up 5 goals in the 3rd, 3 of them were power play goals for Quebec though.

Yikes, not exactly making the most of his chance to become the Olympique's #1. 

Anthony Brodeur aha or Mr .885

Get over it, Anthony cost the Devils a 7th-round pick and his being picked by the Devils and having it announced by Marty was a great moment for a father and son (even if it wasn't that big of a deal to a lot of Devil fans), and with all that Marty's done for the Devils, I can live with them throwing him a bone or two. 

It doesn't ALWAYS have to be about data-crunching and stats, stats, and more stats.   

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976

Get over it, Anthony cost the Devils a 7th-round pick and his being picked by the Devils and having it announced by Marty was a great moment for a father and son (even if it wasn't that big deal to a lot of Devil fans), and with all that Marty's done for the Devils, I can live with them throwing him a bone or two. 

It doesn't ALWAYS have to be about data-crunching and stats, stats, and more stats.   

Seems like a good way to give up an edge by tossing a bone or two. 

Seems like a good way to give up an edge by tossing a bone or two. 

Do you really think the Devils taking Marty's son is costing the Devils a whole hell of a lot?  This is bitching for the sake of bitching, and completely ignoring the fact that human beings sometimes do nice things for other human beings, out of sheer appreciation.  Lou and Marty have a little more going on than a GM-player relationship.      

I agree. How many bones are we going to throw Marty? The last 18 months:

1) New contract

2) drafting his son

3) undeserved "starting job" over Schneider

4) outdoor game (this one is fine in my eyes)

5) Mtl starts

1) Knew that was coming, completely understood why in context.  They just shouldn't do it again.

2) Was a nice moment, as stated before, only cost the Devils a 7th-rounder. 

3) Schneider was inconsistent for a while (and unlucky to boot), and Marty bought himself extra time with that 6-game hot streak.  It probably took longer than we all wanted it to, but it looks like the #1 job is finally Schneider's for good.  For some reason, it sure seemed like PDB was hesitant to trust him.

4) Yeah, pretty much a slamdunk that he was getting this game.

5) Marty won one and lost one.  Wasn't like it was a complete disaster.  And this is how it goes...a guy like Marty is sometimes going to get a farewell start.  Did you really think the Devils were going to give that last Montreal start to Schneider?

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976

1) Knew that was coming, completely understood why in context. They just shouldn't do it again.

2) Was a nice moment, as stated before, only cost the Devils a 7th-rounder.

3) Schneider was inconsistent for a while (and unlucky to boot), and Marty bought himself extra time with that 6-game hot streak. It probably took longer than we all wanted it to, but it looks like the #1 job is finally Schneider's for good. For some reason, it sure seemed like PDB was hesitant to trust him.

4) Yeah, pretty much a slamdunk that he was getting this game.

5) Marty won one and lost one. Wasn't like it was a complete disaster. And this is how it goes...a guy like Marty is sometimes going to get a farewell start. Did you really think the Devils were going to give that last Montreal start to Schneider?

1) Everyone here knew it was a disaster waiting to happen. You can "understand"anything when it comes to Marty because of what he's accomplished, doesn't make it right

2) Yeah, nice moment and all but look at who NJ drafted in round 6. Bell is a guy who will at the very least get an AHL contract and who knows from there. I'd rather spend a 7th on a prospect like Tolchinsky who is a boom or bust guy

3) Schneider's save percentage was never under .915 (I'm throwing out the first 3 starts). He has been playing Marty nearly the whole year and should have gotten the reigns much sooner. He only didn't back up like 3 games

4) Like I said, fine. Devils probably gave up points in Phoenix by accommodating Brodeur so he wouldn't be rusty for Sunday

5) This is what it is. Luckily it turned out ok but NJ can't drop many more points

1) Everyone here knew it was a disaster waiting to happen. You can "understand"anything when it comes to Marty because of what he's accomplished, doesn't make it right

2) Yeah, nice moment and all but look at who NJ drafted in round 6. Bell is a guy who will at the very least get an AHL contract and who knows from there. I'd rather spend a 7th on a prospect like Tolchinsky who is a boom or bust guy

3) Schneider's save percentage was never under .915 (I'm throwing out the first 3 starts). He has been playing Marty nearly the whole year and should have gotten the reigns much sooner. He only didn't back up like 3 games

4) Like I said, fine. Devils probably gave up points in Phoenix by accommodating Brodeur so he wouldn't be rusty for Sunday

5) This is what it is. Luckily it turned out ok but NJ can't drop many more points

1) Not accurate...Marty had finished 2011-12 on a 50-game flourish of .920 save% play.  Based on his first halves of both 2010-11 and 2011-12, there were reasons to be wary and concerned, but to say "everyone here knew it was a disaster waiting to happen" is not at all true.  The other option was to say fvck it and let him go sign somewhere else...basically, it wasn't an option.  That wasn't going to happen, especially when he had played pretty well in helping the Devils reach the Cup final...but if Marty insists that he's still got something left after this season, Lou needs to say no. 

2) Some people are going to make a big deal out of a 7th-round pick.  Not me, in this case.  I thought it was a nice heartfelt gesture on Lou's part, and it led to a moment that was more for Marty and Anthony than it was for anyone else.  I can live with that.   

3) Schneider unfortunately did have a couple of setbacks...got hurt early, Marty has his surge, then Cory had that stretch of "meh" December starts, and the team was putting up a better record in Marty's games.  I would've liked to have seen PDB give Cory more of a chance then he was willing to and trust him more earlier, but it is what is...can't go back and change it.

Anyway, it's the prospect thread.  Hope Anthony bounces back. 

I agree. How many bones are we going to throw Marty? The last 18 months:

1) New contract

2) drafting his son

3) undeserved "starting job" over Schneider

4) outdoor game (this one is fine in my eyes)

5) Mtl starts

CR1976 hit most of the points, but I wanted to add...

1) He's left MILLIONS on the table over the years to stay here for under market value so that Lou had the money to sign other players, plus he signed his current contract coming off a finals appearance and with no top goalie in the system at the time.

2) It was a 7th round pick and NJ didn't even HAVE a 7th round pick! We got it from LA, so it's not like we missed out on a player with a pick of ours. Is it going to cost us something in the 7th round of the 2014 draft? Very doubtful.

3) There was a locker room of players loyal to Marty. Cory had to come in and EARN that starting spot. I've said that all along. To avoid a divided locker room, Cory had to come in and outplay Marty to the point where everyone knew he was the guy. It would have happened sooner but Cory was hurt when he took the spot and then Marty kept getting wins even though Cory outplayed him. Now Cory is getting the wins more often, and including tonight has 6 of the last 8 starts.

4)I think mostly everyone agrees about the outdoor game. Win or lose, he's a big reason the Devils are around to be in it.

5) He has a fantastic track record in Montreal, plus Schneider started the 3 games prior to the 1/14 Montreal game and the one after it. As for the 12/2 Montreal game, Cory started the 2 games before it (back to back) and the 2 after it.

The Anthony Brodeur pick costs almost nothing - it was a nice moment, followed by aggravation with people sweating him like he has a chance at the NHL.  He does not.

DD56:  We've been over this and over this, but if you think that the players can't see that Brodeur wasn't very good the last 3 years, I'm not sure what to tell you.  With the Devils looking like if they do miss the playoffs, it will be by a point or 2, a few more Schneider starts could have been the difference.

Edited by Triumph

The Anthony Brodeur pick costs almost nothing - it was a nice moment, followed by aggravation with people sweating him like he has a chance at the NHL.  He does not.

But who's really doing that?  I think there's some interest in what he's doing because he's Marty's kid, not because any Devil fans think he's got any shot to make the NHL...I have yet to see ANY Devils fans say they truly believe Anthony will be an NHLer someday.  For all we know, the highlight of his career might already have happened (setting the shutout streak for Gatineau).     

DD56:  We've been over this and over this, but if you think that the players can't see that Brodeur wasn't very good the last 3 years, I'm not sure what to tell you.  With the Devils looking like if they do miss the playoffs, it will be by a point or 2, a few more Schneider starts could have been the difference.

Players don't pay much attention to stats, Corsi, percentages, etc. To them, Marty is a locker room leader and a guy who backstopped a lot of them to a finals appearance a little over a year ago. These are still human beings after all. Cory outplaying Marty and taking over the spot was a necessity.

As for points, Marty's been in net for 30 points in 27 games, Cory for 23 points in 24 games. Marty averages 1.1 point a game, Cory averages .95. As well as Cory has played, he still wasn't winning a lot until recently, so the assumption that his starts would equal points up until now isn't very valid. Going forward it'll probably be true, as Cory is now starting the lion's share of games as he should and the team is healthy on offense again.

I know guys don't pay attention to stats.  Players spend more time on the bench than they do on the ice, and they see him giving up the weak goals.  

The problem is that Brodeur has gotten incredibly lucky and Schneider incredibly unlucky.  Brodeur has absolutely cost them points, even if it does not look like it from his record.

As for Anthony Brodeur, I should've been more precise - people are sweating him like they would a player who has a great chance at the NHL.

Edited by Triumph

I know guys don't pay attention to stats.  Players spend more time on the bench than they do on the ice, and they see him giving up the weak goals.  

The problem is that Brodeur has gotten incredibly lucky and Schneider incredibly unlucky.  Brodeur has absolutely cost them points, even if it does not look like it from his record.

As for Anthony Brodeur, I should've been more precise - people are sweating him like they would a player who has a great chance at the NHL.

Off the top of my head, the early season Edmonton debacle (blowing a 3-0 lead) cost them 1 point and then gagging it up against Columbus another 1-2 points

Again, who is doing that?  Which people? 

You can call it luck, but your statement was starting Brodeur earlier in the season cost them points, yet in reality Brodeur averaged just slightly more points in his games. I'm not saying he's the better goalie, because he clearly is not. Cory is leaps and bounds better, and it's showing more than ever right now.

I definitely agree that from here on out Marty starting over Schneider is a risk of losing points. Absolutely. I was just pointing out that to claim Marty cost them in the past is inaccurate, as neither goalie was bringing in many points in the standings. If Cory continues playing how he is now, getting 3 of every 4 starts going forward, and the offense can be somewhat effective, they should end up in the playoffs.

Off the top of my head, the early season Edmonton debacle (blowing a 3-0 lead) cost them 1 point and then gagging it up against Columbus another 1-2 points

I would probably add the Isles game at the beginning of the year where he cost 1 point (SO loss that probably shouldn't have gotten that far).

You could argue that he gained points in the 2-1 win over Tampa on 10/29 and the Pittsburgh game on New Years Eve. 

Right now, his save percentage is .905 and the league average is something like .914.  I don't know what the average is for goalies generally considered to be back-ups.  I get it that you have to compare what Marty is doing versus Schneider.  Still, Marty hasn't been a disaster to this point, although it might be the case if he's getting anymore than 30 percent of the starts from here on out. 

You can call it luck, but your statement was starting Brodeur earlier in the season cost them points, yet in reality Brodeur averaged just slightly more points in his games. I'm not saying he's the better goalie, because he clearly is not. Cory is leaps and bounds better, and it's showing more than ever right now.

I definitely agree that from here on out Marty starting over Schneider is a risk of losing points. Absolutely. I was just pointing out that to claim Marty cost them in the past is inaccurate, as neither goalie was bringing in many points in the standings. If Cory continues playing how he is now, getting 3 of every 4 starts going forward, and the offense can be somewhat effective, they should end up in the playoffs.

I can call it luck because it is luck.  There is absolutely no way that Martin Brodeur is responsible for his team scoring way more goals when he is net.  'From here on out' - no, that was true the minute Schneider got here.  You can count up games like Daniel is doing or just realize that a guy who gives up more goals is going to cost you games, regardless of how many more goals the team happens to score when he's in net.

I can call it luck because it is luck.  There is absolutely no way that Martin Brodeur is responsible for his team scoring way more goals when he is net.  'From here on out' - no, that was true the minute Schneider got here.  You can count up games like Daniel is doing or just realize that a guy who gives up more goals is going to cost you games, regardless of how many more goals the team happens to score when he's in net.

I didn't say he was responsible for scoring or anything else. You said he cost them points, and I pointed out that the 2 of them were responsible for a nearly identical amount of points in the standings per game, with Marty averaging just slightly more.

The problem with looking at games on a purely statistical basis is that sometimes things happen that don't make sense statistically, like this situation. Theoretically, Cory should have been responsible for more points. Yet, in reality, he had less. It doesn't mean Marty is better, because he isn't, but it does mean we can't say one player cost the team points when he produced more than the other player did.

What really cost the team points was a rough start team-wide and an offense that still can't hit the broad side of a barn more often than not, plus leaving all of those shootout points on the board. Although, maybe that St Louis beating builds some confidence.

I didn't say he was responsible for scoring or anything else. You said he cost them points, and I pointed out that the 2 of them were responsible for a nearly identical amount of points in the standings per game, with Marty averaging just slightly more.

The problem with looking at games on a purely statistical basis is that sometimes things happen that don't make sense statistically, like this situation. Theoretically, Cory should have been responsible for more points. Yet, in reality, he had less. It doesn't mean Marty is better, because he isn't, but it does mean we can't say one player cost the team points when he produced more than the other player did.

What really cost the team points was a rough start team-wide and an offense that still can't hit the broad side of a barn more often than not, plus leaving all of those shootout points on the board. Although, maybe that St Louis beating builds some confidence.

He did cost them points.  That's what you're not getting.  It wasn't like NJ was winning 2-1 and losing 8-1 when Brodeur was in net, so that the additional goals didn't matter.  Given the number of goals Brodeur got as goal support, the Devils should have more wins.  They don't because of Brodeur.