thefiestygoat

Thursday 11/28
KHL
Dinamo Minsk defeated Traktor Chelyabinsk 4-2
Artur Gavrus F: E, 4 PIM (Roughing), 3 Shots, 1/1 Faceoff, 8:04 TOI
Season: 20 GP 1-2-3, -2, 8 PIM, 3.7 SH%, 1.4 SH/GP, 45.9 FO%, 11:45 TOI/GP

OHL
North Bay lost to Ottawa 4-3
Ben Thomson LW: Goal (PP), -1, 2 PIM (Roughing)
Season: 14 GP 4-3-7, -5, 36 PIM

Super Series
WHL defeated Russia 4-2
Damon Severson D: -1
Series: 2 GP 0-0-0, -3, 0 PIM

Only saw the 1st period...Severson was on for the 2nd russian goal but it wasn't his fault at all. Russian drove the net on Pouliot's side, shoved puck into goalie, then slid into back of net which moved the post past the goal line into the crease and the puck that wouldn't have normally went in did due to the net being moved. Goal stood since technically it was still on its moorings. He may have been a -3 in these two games but the goaltending behind him was pretty poor at times so that stat is deceiving. His ability to play in all situations, move the puck well, and being a right handed shot should help him earn a spot on Brent Sutter's team for the WJC, especially if Matt Dumba stays in the NHL.

Program Note: On Friday night, ESPNU will have Wisconsin (Faust) vs. Minnesota at 5:00 and Big Ten Network will have Ohio State (Gedig) vs. Michigan at 7:15.

I'm a fan of Gavrus's recent shot increase - 1.4 shots/game in 11:45/game at least suggests Gavrus can hang in the AHL.  (Assuming this is all even strength time, which it probably isn't, it's 7.15 shots/60, which was around NHL average for forwards in 2011-12).   Of course it'd be nice if he got more puck luck, but then again if he did maybe he would have more interest in staying in Minsk.

Buzzing the Net: Swift Current Broncos star Graham Black fights through health problems

Graham Black went through the toughest season of his hockey career last year as a 19-year-old centre for the Swift Current Broncos. He struggled to maintain his health, but not because of hockey related injuries. His ongoing battle with Graves’ disease got the best of him, which led to him struggling to keep up a healthy weight with the lowest point coming at the end of October when he lost roughly 30 pounds in just two weeks.

“It was a very tough thing to go through,” says Black. “I think it was my hardest season for hockey. It held me back in a year where I wanted to have a big season. I had trouble maintaining my weight and even lost 30 pounds in just two weeks early in the year. And with that I had problems sleeping and keeping my energy up.”

Taking into account the hand Black was dealt last year, he had an excellent second season in Swift Current. The New Jersey Devils prospect not only managed to suit up for 68 of the Broncos' 72 games, but he also mustered 24 goals and 50 points along the way.
----------
As for Black’s long-term career, he is confident he won’t have too many rainy days with his Graves’ disease battle because he had surgery on his thyroid last February.

“I think I’ll be able to maintain a healthy weight from here on,” he says. “It’s really a problem with the thyroid and I had surgery last February to remove it.”

Friday 11/29
QMJHL
Gatineau defeated Baie-Comeau 6-3
Anthony Brodeur G: DNP

OHL
North Bay lost to London 4-0
Ben Thomson LW: -2, 2 PIM (High Sticking)

Kingston defeated Peterborough 3-0
Ryan Kujawinski C: E

-- Snaps 4 game scoring streak.

WHL
Swift Current lost to Calgary 3-1
Graham Black C: DNP (Day to day injury)

Kelowna defeated Kamloops 3-2
Damon Severson D: +2
Myles Bell RW: Assist (PP), -1

NCAA
Wisconsin lost to Minnesota 4-1
Joe Faust D: E, 1 Shot, 2 Blocks

Ohio State lost to Michigan 4-3 (OT)
Curtis Gedig D: E, 1 Shot, 5 Blocks

North Dakota lost to St. Lawrence 5-2
Derek Rodwell RW: DNP (Still has some sort of injury)

Miami tied Bemidji State 4-4
Blake Coleman C: 2 Goals, +2, 5 Shots, 10/18 Faceoffs* 1st Star

-- 15 GP 9-5-14, +8, 35 PIM, 15.25 SH%, 3.93 SH/GP
-- Had 9 goals in 40 games last year, 12 in 39 games 2 years ago

Michigan Tech defeated Alaska Fairbanks 3-2
Blake Pietila LW: -1, 6/9 Faceoffs

Boston College lost to Holy Cross 5-4
Steve Santini D: +1, 2 Shots

Its amazing to see athletes fight through diseases to play. It shows where there heart it. Harding is a good example. Better yet. We call emery a tool but he has done something no one has ever done in sports to be playing. Have to give respect in this determination and loyalty these guys have. I hope black can maintain he seems like a decent forward prospect and we lack that.

Saturday 11/30
QMJHL
Gatineau lost to Shawinigan 3-2

OHL
Windsor defeated Sarnia 6-3
Ben Johnson LW: 2 Goals, +2, 2 PIM (Roughing)* 1st Star

-- Had just a goal in his last 6 games.

Kingston defeated Belleville 6-4
Ryan Kujawinski C: Goal (EN), +2

WHL
Swift Current defeated Red Deer 4-3
Graham Black C: 2 Assists (1 PP), +3, 2 PIM (Elbowing)

-- 5 assists in last 2 games.

Kelowna defeated Kamloops 3-2 (SO)
Damon Severson D: Assist, +2, Stopped in SO
Myles Bell RW: Assist, E, Stopped in SO

-- Severson's 4th game in 4 nights.

NCAA
Wisconsin lost to Minnesota 4-3
Joe Faust D: Assist, -2, 1 Shot

North Dakota defeated St. Lawrence 3-2
Derek Rodwell RW: E, 1 Block

Miami defeated Bemidji State 6-3
Blake Coleman C: Goal (PP), Assist, E, 4 PIM (Hooking, Boarding), 4 Shots, 5/11 Faceoffs

-- 16 GP 10-6-16, +8, 39 PIM, 15.9 SH%, 3.9 SH/GP
-- Had 19 points in 40 games last year, 23 points in 39 games two years ago.

Michigan Tech defeated Alaska Fairbanks 2-1
Blake Pietila LW: E, 3/10 Faceoffs, 15 PIM (Boarding, Game Misconduct)

-- Picks up his 2nd game misconduct in his 15th game of the season.
-- Scoreless streak is up to 5 games.

Harvard lost to Dartmouth 2-1
Alex Kerfoot C: E, 2 PIM (Slashing), 2 Shots, 9/14 Faceoffs

Edited by thefiestygoat

Sunday 12/1
QMJHL
Gatineau defeated Blainville-Boisbriand 5-4 (SO)
Anthony Brodeur G: 23 Saves on 27 Shots, Saved both shots in SO
Season: 11 GP 7-3-0, 3.09 GAA, .884 SV%

OHL
Windsor defeated Sarnia 3-2 (SO)
Ben Johnson LW: E
Season: 21 GP 11-6-17, +3, 8 PIM

North Bay defeated Kitchener 4-0
Ben Thomson LW: Goal (SH), +2* 3rd Star
Season: 16 GP 5-3-8, -5, 38 PIM

Kingston defeated Oshawa 2-1
Season: 22 GP 10-8-18, -3, 16 PIM

Glad Anthony got another game.  Pretty good numbers for a rookie goalie in the Q. 

Monday 12/2
KHL
Dinamo Minsk lost to Sibir Novosibirsk 3-1
Artur Gavrus F: DNP
Season: 20 GP 1-2-3, -2, 8 PIM, 3.7 SH%, 1.4 SH/GP, 45.9 FO%, 11:45 TOI/GP

-- Gavrus is with the Belarus U20 team to prepare for the Divison 1A World Junior Championship. They will compete in Sanok, Poland from December 9-15. The group winner gets promoted for next year's tournament. Gavrus led the tournament in scoring last year with 5 goals and 5 assists in 5 games.

NCAA
Ohio State lost to Michigan 5-4
Curtis Gedig D: -1, 1 Shot, 1 Block
Season: 14 GP 0-3-3, +6, 8 PIM, 1.6 SH/GP

Tuesday 12/3
WHL
Kelowna defeated Vancouver 4-3 (OT)
Damon Severson D: Goal (GWG), +3, 2 PIM (Interference)
Season: 23 GP 7-15-22, +13, 24 PIM

Myles Bell RW: +1
Season: 23 GP 9-10-19, +9, 23 PIM

-- Bell has just 2 assists in his past 6 games.

United States of Hockey: Projecting Team USA's Preliminary Roster (WJC)

Wednesday 12/4
WHL
Swift Current defeated Lethbridge 4-1
Graham Black C: Goal (EN), 2 Assists, +4* 3rd Star
Season: 30 GP 16-25-41, +18, 29 PIM

-- Black has a goal and 7 assists in his past 3 games.

Notes:

-- As expected both Matteau and Santini have been named to the US WJC Preliminary Roster. Also on the roster is Jackson, NJ native and Flyers prospect Anthony Stolarz. 

-- The United States of Hockey has a fantastic preview of the forwards and defensemen and goalies that have been invited:

Stefan Matteau (NJD) — LW — Albany Devils — One of two players on Team USA’s roster with actual NHL experience, Matteau may come into camp with a little bit of unfinished business in mind. He ended up as the very last forward cut for the U.S. last year and has now had to watch two of his would-be teams win gold without him. Matteau was also erroneously ruled ineligible for the 2012 World U18 Championship, a decision the IIHF later reversed, albeit too late. Matteau did shake off the sting of both unfortunate misses by getting drafted in the first round in 2012 and making his NHL debut in 2013. Now he comes in with professional experience and possibly a chip on his shoulder. Matteau is a strong power-forward with a mean streak. He has cut down on penalties in the AHL, which has been a real problem for him in the past. At 6-1, 215, he can be a hard guy to stop and can deliver some hard hits. After a slow start to the AHL season, Matteau has been on a tear of late with eight points in his last five games. That’s getting hot at the right time. Could see Matteau on any one of Team USA’s top three lines at this point.

Steven Santini (NJD) — RS — Boston College — When the Devils spend their first pick on the draft (in the second round) on a defensive defenseman, you know there has to be some real talent there. That’s certainly the case with Santini. With Patrick Sieloff out, Santini becomes all the more valuable due to his knack for physical defensive play. On top of that, he is a strong skater who is very comfortable on a big ice surface in any zone. There’s not a ton of offense with Santini, but he can get the puck out of his zone well with a good first pass or his feet. At 6-2, 201, he has good size and physical strength. He was also the best defenseman at last year’s World Under-18 Championship when he was playing some ridiculous minutes against every team’s top line. He shut down some elite prospects while on the ice. I’m expecting Santini to make the team and play some solid minutes, maybe not top-four, but he’ll be available in a lot of key defensive situations, I’d assume.

Edited by thefiestygoat

Wednesday 12/4

WHL

Swift Current defeated Lethbridge 4-1

Graham Black C: Goal (EN), 2 Assists, +4* 3rd Star

Season: 30 GP 16-25-41, +18, 29 PIM

-- Black has a goal and 7 assists in his past 3 games.

Notes:

-- As expected both Matteau and Santini have been named to the US WJC Preliminary Roster. Also on the roster is Jackson, NJ native and Flyers prospect Anthony Stolarz. 

-- The United States of Hockey has a fantastic preview of the forwards and defensemen and goalies that have been invited:

Looks like both our boys have a great chance of making the team. That'd be a nice experience for them, plus Matteau is coming in real hot with 11 points in his 9 games after a slow start.

Edited by gsnts725

Friday 12/6
QMJHL
Gatineau defeated Blainville-Boisbriand 5-3

OHL
Windsor lost to London 5-4 (OT)
Ben Johnson LW: E

-- Just 3 goals in his past 7 games.

Kingston defeated Barrie 5-2
Ryan Kujawinski C: 2 Goals (1 PP), E, 2 PIM (High Sticking)* 1st Star

WHL
Swift Current defeated Brandon 4-3
Graham Black C: 2 Assists, E, 2 PIM (Tripping)* 3rd Star

-- 9 assists in last 4 games.

Kelowna defeated Everett 3-1
Damon Severson D: Goal (PP), Assist (PP), -1* 1st Star
Myles Bell RW: Assist (PP), -1

NCAA
Wisconsin defeated Penn State 7-1
Joe Faust D: +2

North Dakota defeated Western Michigan 3-2
Derek Rodwell RW: Goal, +1, 3 Shots

-- 2nd goal of year in 6 games, had just 2 in 32 games last year, 1 in 19 games 2 years ago.

Miami lost to Denver 3-1
Blake Coleman C: E, 1 Shot, 3/6 Faceoffs (Left game injured in 2nd)

-- Miami Hockey Blog Twitter "Blake Coleman hasn't returned after getting slammed into the boards in the second period. Shoulder/upper body injury. Not good."
-- Denver D Nolan Zajac: -1, 1 Shot...Season: 15 GP 1-7-8, -1, 10 PIM, 16 Shots

Michigan Tech tied Bemidji State 2-2
Blake Pietila LW: E, 5 Shots, 4/13 Faceoffs

-- 6 game scoreless streak.

Boston College defeated New Hampshire 6-2
Steve Santini D: Goal, Assist, +4, 1 Shot, 2 Blocks* 3rd Star

-- 2nd goal of the year after having none in 98 games (all competitions) last year.

Harvard lost to Brown 2-1
Alex Kerfoot C: E, 1 Shot, 3/13 Faceoffs

Edited by thefiestygoat

How is Santini standing up, was he worth the pick?

I haven't seen him play this year yet but he should make the US WJC team and I think those games will be on the NHL Network so I'm looking forward to that. From what I gathered from BC fans on twitter and forums, they seem happy with him. Even though a lot of people wanted the Devils to take a forward, I still think he was well worth the pick. He'll get the defensive defensemen label which turns some people off thinking he can't contribute offensively, but he skates and moves the puck well. I can't wait for him and Severson to potentially join Larsson, Merrill, and Gelinas in NJ in a few years.

Saturday 12/7

OHL

Windsor defeated Kitchener 2-1

Ben Johnson LW: Assist (on GWG), +2

-- 1st assist in 10 games (last was on 10/27 vs Owen Sound).

North Bay defeated Niagara 6-3

Ben Thomson LW: Goal, 2 Assists, +3, 2 PIM (Holding)* 3rd Star

-- 4 goals, 2 assists in 6 games with North Bay after 3 goals, 3 assists in 12 games with Kitchener.

WHL

Kelowna defeated Kootenay 2-1

Damon Severson D: Assist, +1

Myles Bell RW: Goal, Assist, +2* 2nd Star

-- Severson has 2 goals, 3 assists in last 4 games.

NCAA

Wisconsin defeated Penn State 4-3

Joe Faust D: Goal, E, 3 Shots, 4 Blocks

-- 5th career NCAA goal.

North Dakota defeated Western Michigan 3-2

Derek Rodwell RW: E

Miami defeated Denver 4-2

Blake Coleman C: DNP (Upper Body Injury)

Michigan Tech tied Bemidji State 2-2

Blake Pietila LW: E, 2 PIM (Holding the Stick), 6 Shots, 11/14 Faceoffs

-- 7 game scoreless streak.

Boston College defeated New Hampshire 2-1

Steve Santini D: -1

Harvard tied Yale 2-2

Alex Kerfoot C: Goal (PP), +1, 3 Shots, 9/16 Faceoffs

Edited by thefiestygoat

Thanks, one  hopes some of the forwards end up being gems or we are going to have to trade from strength (d)

Lou should have room on the reserve list this spring to offer some undrafted free agents contracts. I'm hoping he adds a forward or 2 to help bolster the prospect pool. Some interesting names that I have my eye on:

C Dane Fox (Erie - OHL) 6'0 185 Age 20

- Ranked 60th by Hockey Prospect for 2012 Draft, 1 spot after Severson, CSS ranked him 46th for NA Skaters

- Physical agitator/pest who they mention was a capable PK at age 16, has some offensive upside

- Went undrafted due to off ice (character?) issues in 2012, missed half of last year with foot injury

- Age 18 OHL Season: 62 GP 23-31-54

- Age 19 OHL Season: 37 GP 19-17-36

- Age 20 OHL Season: 31 GP 36-25-61 so far

F Greg Carey (St. Lawrence - NCAA) 5'11 195 Age 23

- Leads undrafted NCAA players in assists and points

- This year: 18 GP 12-23-35, 3.67 SH/GP

- NCAA career: 132 GP 78-85-163

F Austin Czarnik (Miami - NCAA) 5'9 160 Age 21 (in a few days)

- Have to think his lack of size played a part in going undrafted

- Played on the US WJC team in 2011-12: 6 GP 2-2-4

- This year: 18 GP 9-19-28

- NCAA career: 100 GP 33-72-105

RW Mitch Holmberg (Spokane - WHL) 5'10 175 Age 21 (in March)

- This year: 32 GP 33-34-67

- Put up just 33 points in 58 games in his 1st year of draft eligibility, 55 points in 66 games the following year, and then 80 points in 66 games last year.

That's just to name a few guys. Some of the Devil prospect camp invites that are free agents are having solid years too.

Sunday 12/8
QMJHL
Gatineau lost to Val-d'Or 5-4
Anthony Brodeur G: 4 Saves on 5 Shots in 32:19
Season: 12 GP 7-4-0, 3.02 GAA, .882 SV%

-- Started after Steeves had a late equipment issue, then later relieved Steeves.

OHL
North Bay defeated Mississauga 3-2
Ben Thomson LW: Goal (GWG), Assist (PP), +1* 3rd Star
Season: 19 GP 8-6-14, -3, 40 PIM

-- 5 goals, 3 assists in 7 games with North Bay after 3 goals, 3 assists in 12 games with Kitchener.

Kingston lost to Erie 7-2
Season: 24 GP 12-8-20, -3, 18 PIM

I also started to keep track of the 2013 Prospect Camp Invitees here.