2013-14 Prospect Thread

thefiestygoat

what is this I don't even... Lol that's pretty bad and I don't really follow our prospects that much...

Wow weird. I can see how Matteau's rating may drop because of his performance in last years' Q semi... But Urbom? Don't get it.

Wow weird. I can see how Matteau's rating may drop because of his performance in last years' Q semi... But Urbom? Don't get it.

Urbom was rated highly in 2010, and prospects only ever get better, so he stays high on the list even though he just went through waivers without anyone claiming him besides NJ.

They don't have a clue at HF.

• Like 1

I had to make an unexpected trip to take care of a relative for a week so I'm a bit behind. Here is the full day by day update, otherwise below are the the stats for the prospects from 2/19 to 2/25.

MHL
Artur Gavrus C: 1 GP 0-0-0, -1, 4 Shots, 11/15 Faceoffs

QMJHL
Anthony Brodeur G: 1 GP 17 Save Shutout

OHL 
Ben Johnson LW: 3 GP 1-3-4, +1
Ben Thomson LW: 3 GP 1-0-1, +1, 7 PIM
Ryan Kujawinski C: DNP (Injured)

WHL
Graham Black C: 2 GP 0-4-4, +2, 4 PIM
Damon Severson D: 4 GP 2-3-5, +7
Myles Bell RW: 4 GP 1-2-3, +2

NCAA
Joe Faust D: 2 GP 0-0-0, +1, 2 Shots, 2 Blocks
Derek Rodwell RW: 2 GP 0-1-1, -1, 2 PIM, 3 Shots
Blake Coleman C: 2 GP 2-0-2, +1, 6 PIM, 6 Shots, 3 Blocks, 7/12 Faceoffs
Blake Pietila F: 2 GP 0-3-3, +2, 12 PIM, 2 Shots, 20/37 Faceoffs
Steve Santini D:  2 GP 0-1-1, +1, 4 PIM, 6 Shots, 2 Blocks
Alex Kerfoot C: 2 GP 1-0-1, -1, 4 Shots, 15/21 Faceoffs

Miles Wood Update

- Wood has been named to the NEPSAC 2014 All-New England Team.

Noble & Greenough (18-6-1) – Junior forward Miles Wood de-committed from Brown University last week while collecting five points in two games for Nobles.

- According to The Providence Journal, he will attend either Boston University or Boston College:

Miles Wood, whose older brother Tyler is a freshman defenseman at Brown, was a potential program-changer for the Bears. The word is he is likely to end up at either Boston University or Boston College. His adviser is East Greenwich’s Peter Fish, a former BU teammate of Terrier coach David Quinn of Cranston.

- Over the Boards has Wood ranked as the top uncommitted college prospect:

A new entrant to the board of uncommitted prospects, the former Brown recruit is going to provide an instant boost to whoever garners a commitment from him. Few skaters have the potential to take over games like New Jersey’s 4th round pick in 2013 can, and even fewer are available so close to their first semester of college.

This season, Wood has taken a large step in his development. Nobles coach Brian Day quoted to us, on Miles’ development, “Miles successfully has worked very hard this season to become a more savvy player with the puck who will take any open ice that is available to him but will move the puck when that is the play to be made.  Through the course of this season we have seen a growing level of creativity in his game and a better understanding of how to create more time and space for he and his teammates.  An incredibly dynamic player who will attack when he has the puck, he is developing into a more dynamic player who not only has the ability to finish but who has the ability to make those around him better. He is a great kid and a joy to coach.”

A surprisingly deft passer in a big man’s body, with a lethal shot. Deadly with speed behind the puck as he weaves towards the net, word on the street is that Wood’s likely going to end up on Commonwealth Ave – BU or BC – but a decision could take a little while, as he’s got a pretty pressing concern this week: Nobles travels to face a deep Phillips Exeter squad on Wednesday, in quarterfinal action of the New England Tournament.

- Some tweets from the BC Hockey Blog on 2/23:

https://twitter.com/bchockeyblog1/status/437631525241118720

"Still nothing on the Miles Wood front. Btwen BC and BU...will be a tough get. 2 goals for him yesterday vs Milton, clinched ISL champ."

https://twitter.com/bchockeyblog1/status/437766502704373761

"According to a source, Miles Wood will make his decision after the NEPSAC playoffs. #5 Nobles is @ #4 Exeter on Wednesday."

A few people noted that Wood might be overrated considering that Brown hasn't produced much in the way of NHL talent.  Based on the quotes that Feisty posted, it sounds like Brown might have wanted him to advance their program substantially, and that he could have received offers from some of the more well established college programs.  Wood might have taken a chance on Brown to be the big fish in a small pond, and maybe because of the superior academic reputation if his hockey career didn't pan out.  

I'm not really reading too much into him lighting it up as an overage high school player, but it's a welcome sign that BU and BC apparently are interested in him.  Might not have been a wasted use of a draft pick after all. 

A few people noted that Wood might be overrated considering that Brown hasn't produced much in the way of NHL talent.  Based on the quotes that Feisty posted, it sounds like Brown might have wanted him to advance their program substantially, and that he could have received offers from some of the more well established college programs.  Wood might have taken a chance on Brown to be the big fish in a small pond, and maybe because of the superior academic reputation if his hockey career didn't pan out.  

I'm not really reading too much into him lighting it up as an overage high school player, but it's a welcome sign that BU and BC apparently are interested in him.  Might not have been a wasted use of a draft pick after all. 

No, that is the opposite of the logic I used.  Wood committed to Brown before he was even drafted in the NHL - he might not be all-in on a hockey career.  His dad went to Yale, so it's not like Miles is the first in his family to attend college.  I don't think it would necessarily hinder his development to have gone to Brown, but I'd obviously rather he go to a school where hockey is the #1 focus.

I don't really have any idea what he is because high school players are near impossible to judge.

Wednesday 2/26

KHL

Dinamo Minsk lost to Slovan Bratislava 4-3 (SO)

Artur Gavrus F: -1, 1 Shot, 4:55 TOI

Season: 29 GP 1-2-3, -10, 8 PIM, 2.9 SH%, 1.2 SH/GP, 45.5 FO%, 11:24 ATOI

-- Gavrus didn't play in the 3rd period.

WHL

Swift Current defeated Regina 6-2

Graham Black C: 2 Assists (1 PP), E

Season: 60 GP 29-53-82, +19, 41 PIM

Kelowna defeated Tri-City 4-3 (SO)

Damon Severson D: -1, 2 PIM (Interference)

Season: 56 GP 14-40-54, +43, 46 PIM

Myles Bell RW: Goal (SH), E, Scored in SO

Season: 61 GP 40-30-70, +24, 40 PIM

Edited by thefiestygoat

Thursday 2/27

OHL

Windsor defeated Barrie 4-1

Ben Johnson LW: Goal, +1

Season: 52 GP 24-25-49, +22, 26 PIM

-- Johnson has 7 goals and 14 assists in his last 15 games. Great to see.

North Bay lost to Guelph 5-4

Ben Thomson LW: -1, 2 PIM (Check to Head)

Season: 48 GP 23-15-38, +8, 83 PIM

Miles Wood's season ended after Nobles lost to Exeter on Wednesday. We should find out soon where he will be playing his college hockey.

Friday 2/28

KHL

Dinamo Minsk lost to Lev Praha 3-1

Artur Gavrus F: Assist, E, 1 Shot, 9:33 TOI

QMJHL

Gatineau lost to Val-d'Or 5-0

Anthony Brodeur G: DNP

OHL

Kingston defeated Belleville 10-2

Ryan Kujawinski C: 2 Assists, +1

-- 1st game in nearly 5 weeks.

WHL

Swift Current lost to Regina 4-3 (OT)

Graham Black C: Assist (PP), E

-- Black has 7 assists in his last 3 games.

Kelowna defeated Vancouver 6-0

Damon Severson D: 3 Assists (1 PP), +2, 2 PIM (High Sticking)* 3rd Star

Myles Bell RW: Goal, +1

-- Severson now has 57 points in 57 games as a 19 year old D and is 4th in D scoring in the WHL.

NCAA

Ohio State tied Michigan 2-2

Curtis Gedig D: Assist (PP), -2, 2 Shots, 3 Blocks

-- Got beat by his man on the 1st Michigan goal. Delivered a great open ice hit in the NZ seconds before the 2nd Michigan goal. Shoulder to head but the opposing player put himself in a bad position and Gedig kept his arm tucked to his body. No penalty was called but the NCAA tends to suspend for those types of hits and it can be reviewed. Here is the hit:

841409533.gif?1393637606

North Dakota defeated St. Cloud State 5-2

Derek Rodwell RW: +2, 2 PIM (Roughing)

Miami lost to Minnesota Duluth 5-4

Blake Coleman C: 2 Goals (Both PP), -2, 4 PIM (Hitting from Behind, Elbowing), 6 Shots, 8/11 Faceoffs

-- Coleman has 4 goals and 12 shots in 3 games since returning from injury.

Harvard defeated Colgate 2-1

Alex Kerfoot F: E, 2 PIM (Holding)

Saturday 3/1

OHL

Windsor lost to Plymouth 5-0

Ben Johnson LW: -2

-- Just his 2nd pointless game in his last 16 games.

Kingston defeated Belleville 5-2

Ryan Kujawinski C: 2 Goals, +1, 4 PIM (Roughing x2)* 1st Star

WHL

Swift Current defeated Lethbridge 7-4

Graham Black C: Goal, 2 Assists (1 PP), E* 1st Star

-- Black has a goal and 9 assists in his last 4 games.

Kelowna defeated Vancouver 3-1

Damon Severson D: E, 5 PIM (Fighting)

Myles Bell RW: E

NCAA

North Dakota lost to St. Cloud State 3-1

Derek Rodwell RW: E

Miami lost to Minnesota Duluth 1-0 

Blake Coleman C: E, 12 PIM (Roughing, Misconduct), 5 Shots, 1 Block, 8/10 Faceoffs

Boston College lost to Notre Dame 2-1 (OT)

Steve Santini D: E, 2 PIM (Interference)

-- Miles Wood was spotted in attendance. I found out that Wood had 29 goals and 25 assists in 28 games for Nobles this season.

-- Boston College is the top seed in the Hockey East Tournament and will host the lowest remaining seed in a best of 3 Quarterfinal from 3/14 to 3/16.

Harvard lost to Cornell 3-2 (OT)

Alex Kerfoot F: Goal (PP), -1, 3 Shots

-- Harvard will be the 11th seed in the ECAC Tournament and play the 6th seed Yale in a best of 3 from 3/7 to 3/9.

The Big Ten, NCHC, and WCHA still have regular season games left.

Sunday 3/2

KHL

Dinamo Minsk defeated Dinamo Riga 5-2

Artur Gavrus F: DNP (?)

QMJHL

Gatineau lost to Drummondville 4-0

OHL

North Bay lost to Niagara 5-2

Ben Thomson LW: Goal (PP), -1* 2nd Star

Kingston lost to Oshawa 3-2 (SO)

Ryan Kujawinski C: E, 2 PIM (Roughing)

WHL

Swift Current defeated Brandon 4-3 (SO)

Graham Black C: Assist, +1, Stopped in SO

-- 10 assists in his last 5 games.

NCAA

Ohio State lost to Michigan 4-3

Curtis Gedig D: Assist (PP), +1, 2 Shots

Maybe, just maybe, Ben Thompson is a diamond in the rough (for an "energy" type player? I guess we'll find out when he's with Albany on PTO at the conclusion of the season? Is Coleman a Sr? 

Anyone else thinking Gavrus already a bust draft pick?

Maybe, just maybe, Ben Thompson is a diamond in the rough (for an "energy" type player? I guess we'll find out when he's with Albany on PTO at the conclusion of the season? Is Coleman a Sr? 

Anyone else thinking Gavrus already a bust draft pick?

Coleman's a 22 yr old Jr. 21 GP 14-6-20, +7, 61 PIM, 17.28 SH%, 3.86 SH/GP He's one of my favorites. 

Tuesday 3/4

KHL

Dinamo Minsk lost to CSKA Moskva 3-0

Artur Gavrus F: DNP (Right Shoulder Injury)

Final KHL Season Stats: 30 GP 1-3-4, -11, 8 PIM, 2.78 SH%, 1.20 SH/GP, 45.52 FO%, 3 Primary Points, 1 PPG

-- Gavrus picked up his injury on 2/28 and will be out around 45 days, thus ending any chance of him playing in the Nadezhda Cup (KHL Loser Tournament) or MHL Playoffs.

-- Dinamo Minsk finishes the regular season with the worst record in the West with just 53 points in 54 games.

WHL

Swift Current defeated Edmonton 4-3

Graham Black C: Assist, -1

Season: 64 GP 30-58-88, +19, 41 PIM

-- Black has 12 assists in his last 6 games.

Kelowna lost to Everett 5-1

Damon Severson D: -2, 4 PIM (Tripping, Hooking)

Season: 59 GP 14-43-57, +43, 57 PIM

Myles Bell RW: Assist, E

Season: 64 GP 41-31-72, +25, 40 PIM

http://thebostoncollegehockeyblog.blogspot.com/2014/03/notre-dame-recapnotes.html#comment-form

"Obviously losing stinks but if the Eagles can get a major win on the recruiting trail this week in the battle for Miles Wood, then all will be back to normal. Miles was at the game on Saturday afternoon and is expected to make a decision at some point this week. Early on, I didn't think BC had any shot of landing the 6'2 forward from Nobles but as the days pass, I don't think it would be a good idea to say he is set in stone to attend BU."

Wood must be a hell of a get 

Wednesday 3/5

QMJHL

Gatineau defeated Blainville-Boisbriand 6-4

Season: 27 GP 12-11-0, 2.92 GAA, .886 SV%, 2 SO

WHL

Kelowna defeated Spokane 3-1

Damon Severson D: Assist, +1, 2 PIM (Slashing)

Season: 60 GP 14-44-58, +44, 59 PIM

Myles Bell RW: 2 Assists (1 PP), +1

Season: 65 GP 41-33-74, +26, 40 PIM

Also, apparently the plan is for Miles Wood to stay at Nobles for his Sr year but the option to "accelerate" so he can join BC next year is on the table, presumably if they lose Gaudreau to the pros.

Thursday 3/6

OHL

Windsor lost to Saginaw 8-3

Ben Johnson LW: -2

Season: 54 GP 24-25-49, +18, 26 PIM

North Bay defeated Belleville 8-1

Ben Thomson LW: Goal, E, 2 PIM (Holding)

Season: 50 GP 25-15-40, +7, 85 PIM

Kingston lost to Peterborough 5-4 (OT)

Ryan Kujawinski C: -2, 2 PIM (Unsportsmanlike)

Season: 39 GP 18-15-33, E, 33 PIM

Over on my stats page I have the NCAA prospect stats up to date with scoring separated out by EV/PP/SH and Primary/Secondary. I just need to tally up faceoff totals. I'll try to get the CHL prospects up to date soon,