Ryane Clowe signs with the Devils. 5 years. 4.85 per.

ghdi

I like him well enough - but I am reticent. 

The vibe I feel is, he's a guy where you see him against your team and you think he's great...but when you don't see it day in and day out and look back, he's kind of done nothing - except that time he played against you. So I'm hoping he's bringing something intangible, not just playing well against the Devils.  I hope he's not head achy either.  It may be he's never been given proper time to heal.  I think the Devils have a nice handle on/respect for concussions now. 

He IS funny/grumpy and kind of an ass.  He will be the guy we get to freaking grump out about, for sure.

EDIT:  Oh cute -- we all feel the same way.  I think part of me feels he's going to earn that paycheck just hearing us fans bitch while he's feeling flippin' infuriated/frustrated on top of it all.  It's fair for the torture we'll dish out and more than fair if he shuts our bitching down with action!

Edited by Pepperkorn

Well he should fit in perfectly with the way the Devils pissed off the shooting gods last year.

In all seriousness, I agree with your mixed reaction to it. I get the overpayment because it's free agency so I won't complain. I like him as a 3rd line guy who could cover in a top 6 role from time to time but his health going forward is worrisome. If healthy I think he will be a nice fit on this team.

I don't think this is how NJ sees him at all.  I think they think he's going to play with Kovalchuk.

Edited by Triumph

Clowe is a 45-70 point guy in a healthy season, and 45 points is a bare minimum, hes a guy that can hit and play well without the puck thus like clarkson. Clowe is one of the guys that tons of team want. Now with clarkson signing 7 year near 6 million per season from what I'm hearing, clowe is better bang for the buck. Throw clowe with kovalchuk and he could get some more points and also bump up his productions by creating him some more place. I just wonder how many people bashing him actually know his style of play / previous seasons. 

Edit: Now that I see Clarky is 5.25m for 7 years. Thats overpaid more then clowe IMO

If Clowe has 70 points next season, I'll buy everyone on this board a beer, maybe even two. He'll be lucky to top 50-55 points.

My main issue with this is that we were a team last year that struggled to score goals and are in general a team that needs to score goals and we have lost two of our biggest goal-scorers the last two years and yet Clowe scored 3 goals in 40 games last season. He did underachive but this is a $5 million a year question mark. I would almost rather give Clarkie the 7 yr Toronto contract at the slightly higher cap hit and keep his 20-25 goals, almost.

If Clowe has 70 points next season, I'll buy everyone on this board a beer, maybe even two. He'll be lucky to top 50-55 points.

To be honest 50-55 points should be no problem for clowe, as long as hes healed from his concussion and what not.

My main issue with this is that we were a team last year that struggled to score goals and are in general a team that needs to score goals and we have lost two of our biggest goal-scorers the last two years and yet Clowe scored 3 goals in 40 games last season. He did underachive but this is a $5 million a year question mark. I would almost rather give Clarkie the 7 yr Toronto contract at the slightly higher cap hit and keep his 20-25 goals, almost.

I have a hard time seeing Clarkson scoring 25.

I think Clowe is less of a question mark than Clarkson. He has been pretty consistent with his goal production over the last 5 years until last year. Clarkson is banking off one great year and a good 14 game stretch. Let's not forget he had 8 points over the final 34 games last season.

• Like 1

He put up his best numbers playing with Thornton/Marleau in SJ no? *Everyone* gets at least 50 points playing with Thornton.

To be honest 50-55 points should be no problem for clowe, as long as hes healed from his concussion and what not.

That's one giant "if" there. I'd also wager to say even if he's healthy 50-55 points is the ABSOLUTE max we'll get out of Clowe.

It's the high-side for sure but 17-20 is very likely. Clowe is older and has been 5 times less productive as of recent.

He's about a year and half older and had one bad season in a short year. Let's not just exaggerate for the sake of exaggerating here. But if we wanna get really crazy, Clowe and Clarkson had the same amount of goals post trade deadline last year and Clowe had twice as many points.

Edited by PWW

I'd love to see Ryder here, just because we desperately need some offense. Another shooting threat on the PP would do wonders as well.. Anyone here seen this guy play much? How does he fit in with us?

Not terrible speedy. Pure sniper. To compare to a guy familiar to us, he'd fill a slot similar to Sykora. 2nd line RW, PP, probably no PK time. Great wrist shot.

Not terrible speedy. Pure sniper. To compare to a guy familiar to us, he'd fill a slot similar to Sykora. 2nd line RW, PP, probably no PK time. Great wrist shot.

Ok, sounds like a decent signing for us then at least. We looking at $5,5-6M here?

Edited by njdevsftw