Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Zubie#8

RUMOR Jagr interested in Devils

337 posts in this topic

i always thought that boring stuff w/the devils was unfair andnever really agreed w/it. i can remember great trades and signings from the late 90's of andreychuk thomas housley gilmore nichols broten

i can remember great trades and signings from the late 90's of andreychuk thomas housley gilmore nichols broten

Early 90's too..

Peter Stastny, Slava Fetisov, Walt Poddubny, Claude Lemieux, Stephane Richer. Lou will give you at least 1 name per season, be it an all-star player.. or older veteran. The exception came between 2001 & 2005 -which is where the boring moniker comes from. Albeit the Niewendyk transaction there were very little flashy trades\signings during these years, because with homegrown talent like: Brodeur, Gomez, Daneyko, Rafalski, Elias, Sykora, Niedermayer, Gionta, Madden, White, etc.. there really didn't need to be! Meanwhile the rest of the league was spending money like maniacs on "SuperStar Teams."

Between 2001 & 2004, the Colorado Avalanche had; Sakic, Roy, Foote, Bourque, Kasparaitis, Blake, Deadmarsh, Forsberg, Selanne, Kariya, Hejduk, Tanguay & Drury. The 2002 & 2003 Redwings had; Chelios, Datsyuk, Hull, Hasek, Lidstrom, Fedorov, Larionov, Shanahan, Yzerman, Murphy, Joseph, Robitaille, Schneider, Zetterberg. Then of course the Rangers with Messier, Leetch, Gretzky, Fleury, Graves, Richter, Bure, Lindros, Nedved, Kovalev, Holik, Jagr, etc.

The Devils throughout these years, were successful not only through losing players like Arnott, Sykora, Mogilny, Holik.. but by doing practically nothing during July.. and with Grant Marshall deadline deals. To say other fanbases became a tad jealous would be an understatement.

3 people like this

You'll have to forgive me if I don't get excited by a Czech source.

My worry is that Jagr will want to bug Stevens about how he contained him so well - then he'll ruin his whole game fixing himself and we'll be on the hook for a broken Jagr :lol:

That guy said Jagr to New Jersey would be done by Saturday.  How surprising that being an insiderrrrr has gone overseas.

What's the over/under on the number of a$$holes who tweet Jagr to the Devils is 99.9% done today? 3? 4?

1 person likes this

I don't find this nearly as exciting or distracting as the Kovy/Parise saga..if he signs, cool.  If he doesn't, whatever.

He's a complimentary player at this point in my mind.

What's the over/under on the number of a$$holes who tweet Jagr to the Devils is 99.9% done today?

..lol, so true. Then 99.9½% come tomorrow.

I got a Bleacher Report notification - so now I guess it's official :lol:

Kind of like Shannahan coming to the Devils for a final stint... except Jagr has more in the tank IMO.

...I'm not really sure how I feel about this. But it is pretty cool that Jagr is going to be in a Devils uniform. In terms of actual offense/helping the team...I'm not as convinced.

Win/win Manta, really.

Either he contributes, Devils make the playoffs, season's a success.

or..

They miss the playoffs, and potentially acquire some draft picks for him at the deadline, success.

Win/win Manta, really.

or..

They miss the playoffs, and potentially acquire some draft picks for him at the deadline, success.

I agree, but, to be fair, with a 40 yr old you have to also add..OR he gets hurt and has no value and we spent XX.XX Mil.

Win/win Manta, really.

or..

Hm?  Or what could even be the most likely scenario, he stays the whole season and NJ misses the playoffs by not much.  

The Devils won't be able to be stopped once they gain the offensive zone.  Gaining the zone will be the issue.

I agree, but, to be fair, with a 40 yr old you have to also add..OR he gets hurt and has no value and we spent XX.XX Mil.

Who cares about what they spend on a one-year deal? Especially after we just got $11 million off the payroll...