Kovalchuk Retired Effective Immediately?

GoArmySports

Having Kovy took a lot of pressure off of other players.  He took the attention of other team's top D and checking lines.  Without Kovy, Elias doesn't have the season he had last year.  The Devils desperately need to replace him some how but he will not truly be replaced.  Not everything he does for a team shows up on stat sheets.  I know some people don't understand that but anyway.... It's true.

Edited by capo

Having Kovy took a lot of pressure off of other players.  He took the attention of other team's top D and checking lines.  Without Kovy, Elias doesn't have the season he had last year.  The Devils desperately need to replace him some how but he will not truly be replaced.  Not everything he does for a team shows up on stat sheets.  I know some people don't understand that but anyway.... It's true.

Exactly, but for the opposite reason. Kovy took the pressure off of the other players and consequently when he was injured our offense went in the toilet because he became a crutch..

It's not all about having stars. It's not all about being the team that gets standing ovations in the other teams building. This is something a team can rally around. Deboer is probably amped for the first practice for all the bulletin board material he'll get come prediction time..Cancel the locker room painters cause this year it'll be wallpapered with motivational headlines. Hockey isn't sexy, but they all get mad laid anyway. Devils won't be sexy, but they can still be a team no one looks forward to facing.   

If you can't tell this has actually fired me up for the season. Watching some '95 highlights to get back in to the underdog, mean, gritty, nobodies friend mode..Man, Lemieux had a dance that year...But that is the mentality they will have, and the opponents will all be like Detroit in '95 when they were looking at each other deflated down 3 goals in games 3 and 4 saying "how the hell are THESE guys beating the tar out of us!". 

Always had trouble with "you have to live with the bad" to get the good argument with Kovy. Never really understood why I had to live with the bad. I don't like the bad. 

Well, he's Russian and went home. Money is better, he'll be the best player in the league, the family will be happier, etc. I'm getting over the shock, which hurts, but no hate for the player, just disappointment thinking we were set for a fantastic season.

But seriously, if all you guys wishing him death and all that would take a minute to take his face out of your signatures that would be swell :)

Edited by jim777

To quote Ilya, "Vy u hev to b so mad? Is only game!"

The universe is so humongous big, sometimes you want be close to home

Well, he's Russian and went home. Money is better, he'll be the best player in the league, the family will be happier, etc. I'm getting over the shock, which hurts, but no hate for the player, just disappointment thinking we were set for a fantastic season.

But seriously, if all you guys wishing him death and all that would take a minute to take his face out of your signatures that would be swell :)

then he shouldn't have signed a long term contract. He disrespected the devils,teammates, the league and the fans.

I don't think they stop a guy from playing in Sochi, but we'll see about 2018. I really don't think a player wants to challenge this.

After this year there's probably going to be a mass exodus after the Russian players don't have to worry about Sochi. IMO that's the only reason more haven't jumped, cause they do want to play in that Olympics.

As a NJ native who currently resides in Minneapolis, I can honestly say that the last two years have been nothing short of excruciating as a Devils hockey fan. I've had to deal with all of my Minnesota Wild friends doing triple back flips over the Parise signing. And then, on a daily basis, I have to hear about how awesome Parise is by dumbsh!! suburban Minnesota hockey fans for 365 straight days (the same fans who are now whining that the Wild doesn't have the cash to sign any top free agents). On top of everything else, just when I'm starting to feel really good about the direction of this team, I hear this on KFAN while driving home from work - mind you from the dumbsh!! radio dudes who somehow knno nothing about hockey despite the fact that they are the No. 1 sports radio show in the "State of Hockey."

Radio guy: "So there is a surprising retirement in the NHL to announce."

Me (thinking): Teemu? Brad Richards? ... Who could it be?

Radio guy: "Ilya Kovalchuk is announcing his retirement. He's heading back to Russia."

Me - (almost crash my car off the road).

Radio announcer two: Hey, he's pretty good, right?

Radio guy No. 1: Yeah, and some people think he's the whole reason why the Devils couldn't sign Parise.

Me - unfu!!ing believable.

then he shouldn't have signed a long term contract. He disrespected the devils,teammates, the league and the fans.

Yeah, multi-millionaires in their 20's who grew up with nothing are known for making great decisions. He played hard as a Devil, and that was obvious.

Devils have lost two tier 1 players in two years, its like the Pens losing Malkin and Crosby one after another. Such players are irreplaceable and a team has to really tank to get that kind of pick and then it also depends on that years draft. The biggest is what Devils gave up to trade Kovy and to top it off, the penalty of re-signing him.

One thing, Devils fans, please stay classy, none of that Kovy bashing and creating stupid graphics please. You are allowed to criticize him but dont stoop low guys. Teams go through adversity, but gosh, I have not seen any team going through the adversity Lou and Devils staff is going through right now. Need to look forward to the upcoming year.

After this year there's probably going to be a mass exodus after the Russian players don't have to worry about Sochi. IMO that's the only reason more haven't jumped, cause they do want to play in that Olympics.

They'd still be playing anyway, the groundwork is all but laid and who's stopping them.   People overestimate what kind of regulation exists.   BUT, this is a small group of players this effects.   No one who is mediocre or on their way up is going to burn their contract and lose the ability to play both sides against the middle.   There's too many hoops to jump through.   Only the tippy-top guys would even dare pull this move.

Devils have lost two tier 1 players in two years, its like the Pens losing Malkin and Crosby one after another. Such players are irreplaceable and a team has to really tank to get that kind of pick and then it also depends on that years draft. The biggest is what Devils gave up to trade Kovy and to top it off, the penalty of re-signing him.

One thing, Devils fans, please stay classy, none of that Kovy bashing and creating stupid graphics please. You are allowed to criticize him but dont stoop low guys. Teams go through adversity, but gosh, I have not seen any team going through the adversity Lou and Devils staff is going through right now. Need to look forward to the upcoming year.

Something here doesn't compute.   Those two guys aren't on the same level as Malkin and Crosby.

From all reports Seguin is still a high school kid with a man's salary. Stealing Dad's car, getting plastered and sneaking back in before dawn, the whole 9 yeards. Let the Stars try and straighten him out. We won Cups without Kovy and will continue to win them without him. My guess at this point is Kovy stayed because Lou asked him to, so we could sign the guys we signed. He wanted to go home, Lou asked him to wait, and he did. I refuse to get caught up in the hate of the moment. I am though, perfectly willing to wallow in the utter disappointment of the moment.

From now on, let's *only* draft players from New Jersey. That way, they'll never "want to go home!!!". And by jersey, I mean do a full background check. If anyone in their immediate family roots for New York or Philly, they disqualify.

Problem solved!

*cries*

This. It is getting sickening how all these players are running from New Jersey to go back home. Is it just a Jersey thing? Or does that happen to all teams and we just don't hear about it?

Anyway, unfortunately, even being born in New Jersey doesn't guarantee that one is a Devils fan. Look at Ryan (Flyers fan) and Van Riemsdyk (Rangers fan). I don't know about Carlson.

As for this turn of events, it sucks, but I can't say I'm shocked. Even though Kovy always said the right things, I never got the feeling that he was loving it here.

I will miss his talent, but the Devils will move on. They always do -- at least as long as Lou is in charge.

They'd still be playing anyway, the groundwork is all but laid and who's stopping them.   People overestimate what kind of regulation exists.   BUT, this is a small group of players this effects.   No one who is mediocre or on their way up is going to burn their contract and lose the ability to play both sides against the middle.   There's too many hoops to jump through.   Only the tippy-top guys would even dare pull this move.

Something here doesn't compute.   Those two guys aren't on the same level as Malkin and Crosby.

They're pretty close. Not disagreeing with you -- those are 2 of the top 4 players in the world, but still, Parise and Kovalchuk are big time.