GoArmySports

Kovalchuk Retired Effective Immediately?

621 posts in this topic

After this year there's probably going to be a mass exodus after the Russian players don't have to worry about Sochi. IMO that's the only reason more haven't jumped, cause they do want to play in that Olympics.

They'd still be playing anyway, the groundwork is all but laid and who's stopping them.   People overestimate what kind of regulation exists.   BUT, this is a small group of players this effects.   No one who is mediocre or on their way up is going to burn their contract and lose the ability to play both sides against the middle.   There's too many hoops to jump through.   Only the tippy-top guys would even dare pull this move.

Devils have lost two tier 1 players in two years, its like the Pens losing Malkin and Crosby one after another. Such players are irreplaceable and a team has to really tank to get that kind of pick and then it also depends on that years draft. The biggest is what Devils gave up to trade Kovy and to top it off, the penalty of re-signing him.

One thing, Devils fans, please stay classy, none of that Kovy bashing and creating stupid graphics please. You are allowed to criticize him but dont stoop low guys. Teams go through adversity, but gosh, I have not seen any team going through the adversity Lou and Devils staff is going through right now. Need to look forward to the upcoming year.

Something here doesn't compute.   Those two guys aren't on the same level as Malkin and Crosby.

From all reports Seguin is still a high school kid with a man's salary. Stealing Dad's car, getting plastered and sneaking back in before dawn, the whole 9 yeards. Let the Stars try and straighten him out. We won Cups without Kovy and will continue to win them without him. My guess at this point is Kovy stayed because Lou asked him to, so we could sign the guys we signed. He wanted to go home, Lou asked him to wait, and he did. I refuse to get caught up in the hate of the moment. I am though, perfectly willing to wallow in the utter disappointment of the moment.

From now on, let's *only* draft players from New Jersey. That way, they'll never "want to go home!!!". And by jersey, I mean do a full background check. If anyone in their immediate family roots for New York or Philly, they disqualify.

Problem solved!

*cries*

This. It is getting sickening how all these players are running from New Jersey to go back home. Is it just a Jersey thing? Or does that happen to all teams and we just don't hear about it?

Anyway, unfortunately, even being born in New Jersey doesn't guarantee that one is a Devils fan. Look at Ryan (Flyers fan) and Van Riemsdyk (Rangers fan). I don't know about Carlson.

As for this turn of events, it sucks, but I can't say I'm shocked. Even though Kovy always said the right things, I never got the feeling that he was loving it here.

I will miss his talent, but the Devils will move on. They always do -- at least as long as Lou is in charge.

They'd still be playing anyway, the groundwork is all but laid and who's stopping them.   People overestimate what kind of regulation exists.   BUT, this is a small group of players this effects.   No one who is mediocre or on their way up is going to burn their contract and lose the ability to play both sides against the middle.   There's too many hoops to jump through.   Only the tippy-top guys would even dare pull this move.

Something here doesn't compute.   Those two guys aren't on the same level as Malkin and Crosby.

They're pretty close. Not disagreeing with you -- those are 2 of the top 4 players in the world, but still, Parise and Kovalchuk are big time.

After this year there's probably going to be a mass exodus after the Russian players don't have to worry about Sochi. IMO that's the only reason more haven't jumped, cause they do want to play in that Olympics.

You're definitely on to something...people say Kovalchuk is the first real domino to fall, but it was really Jagr who went to Omsk in 2008 and loved it. I think if someone like Ovechkin leaves (and he's been rumored as well) that would send some shockwaves around the league.

They're pretty close. Not disagreeing with you -- those are 2 of the top 4 players in the world, but still, Parise and Kovalchuk are big time.

They're top 20, but the Pens without both are a horror show.    That playoff series a couple of years ago.... yeech.    They tried, but were rolling out Aaron Asham on the PP in a Game 7

They're top 20, but the Pens without both are a horror show.    That playoff series a couple of years ago.... yeech.    They tried, but were rolling out Aaron Asham on the PP in a Game 7

If we didn't have Elias, we'd be a horror show too. We still might be.

If we didn't have Elias, we'd be a horror show too. We still might be.

No, we're better than that.   They didn't even have a Michael Ryder.   Letang was the most dangerous forward on that team.

Edited by maxpower

No, we're better than that.   They didn't even have a Michael Ryder.   Letang was the most dangerous forward on that team.

Fair, but we could still easily be a disaster.

Fair, but we could still easily be a disaster.

I think disaster is a tad strong.   I think they're back where they started 3 weeks ago.   Maybe a little better off.    Whereas yesterday I would have penciled them in for one of the three guaranteed spots.

Edited by maxpower

Do you guys really think Kovy just pulled up out of the blue and left. This had management/NHL written all over it. Kovy planned in leaving, just not this soon. Factor in trying to sell the team, after adding all the FA's and to me it becomes quite clear. I don't think we should have lost the pick the first time for circumvention, but maybe it all evens out on this move. Just wish he put #28 in his baggage when he left. The only other angle I see is the NHL not going to Sochi.

For the RECORD. Tg talked with lou. He said there wasn't any conversations throughout the year regarding this and if this happened earlier would be have pursued others and lou said it is what it is we have to move forward

My last memory of Kovy as a Devil was showing absolutely no effort backchecking while on the powerplay against the Rangers in the season finale. What a fitting ending.

1 person likes this

A telling quote from Marty form TG's Blog:

Brodeur noted that the ordeal Kovalchuk went through just to re-sign with the Devils in 2010 might have factored into his dissatisfaction with the NHL and “I know he wasn’t happy about the escrow”.

If the money was the only thing keeping him in the NHL he really shouldnt have signed in the first place.

Let's burn Manta at the stake

The curse of Nostradamus

Edited by MantaRay
2 people like this

Kovalchuk is not a top 20 player in the league or anywhere close.

NOW you say this?????

1 person likes this

My last memory of Kovy as a Devil was showing absolutely no effort backchecking while on the powerplay against the Rangers in the season finale. What a fitting ending.

yep. i remember that i was furious about his effort, even in a meaningless game. this effort will bring him 10$M per year from his buddy Medvedev, playing for SKA St.Petersburg.

Kovy how could you? This is unbelievable. You came to NJ as a lazy forward who wouldn't backcheck and you left being the most feared pk'er in the league. Devils fans argued for your sake non stop. Last year Parise leaving was anger inducing, knowing him and Suter were texting about it in the finals (preoccupied much?), but this? This is just absolutely heartbreaking... I wouldn't wish this upon any team. It's been a pleasure watching Kovy and one day to look back on it but right now this is the only song that fits: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CnQ8N1KacJc

1 person likes this

If there is a mass exodus then fine.  Soccer players are real dorks and it makes the game less fun having that greed on a global level, I personally feel.  If the NHL turns into a game of a bunch of sentimental Clarkson types, with a deep commitment to community, so much the better.  If the NHL tries to pull out the wallet like some monied jackass - well then the sport is ruined. I need there to be an element of deep and abiding emotional investment from my sporting events. I can't be the only one out there who loves hockey - the players and organization needs to as well - it's just a deeper level of commitment to the sporting community -- not to money or winning alone.  If we can't have players like Elias, Danyko, Brodeur and Stevens then I'll just stick with College sports.

1 person likes this

I don't know, I'm upset but I'm over it if it makes any sense. I just feel like a players that gets injured...nothing we can really do about it and at least we aren't stuck with the Cap hit and still don't have the player. I think Lou has to look to Boston in his signings as we need to replace 3 30 goal scorers in Parise, Kovy and Clarkson (I know the last one seems like a stretch) but if you add that plus Sykora you still have a large loss. I think the devils can do this but I think its most effective if they are able to emulate that large 4 line pounding team which isn't so much one player but 4 consistent hard hitting lines...just my opinion.

NOW you say this?????

Tri has changed his definition of what Kovy is multiple times throughout his career here.  At the same time, the Kovy that retired was a different player than the one that played for the Thrashers (though I think he's going to become that again in the KHL).

Remember young Forrest Gump, with the leg braces?  I think that's what playing for the Devils felt like to Kovy.  Remember when Forrest started RUN-NING and the braces came flying off?  I think that's how Kovy felt when he played in the KHL.   

1 person likes this

NOW you say this?????

YES!  Because you have to support even the most sh!tty of decisions and commit fully to them for any HOPE of having them succeed.  You have to have your teams back once they're committed.  You can freak until and up to the point it's no longer salvageable.

There is no hypocrisy in keeping a positive outlook.  That's they way you make a success of things.  of LIFE.  Bitching solves nothing.  How many people wrote that even?  "Not happy with the Kovalchuk contract but it's done and we have to make the best of things." So many people tried to explain this to you.  The seemingly biggest supporters of the deal woudl come out and agree with your grousing to a point -- to a point.  THAT is the point. It's not about being right or truthful because there's no such thing in subjective situation -- it's about moving forward with vitality and a positive outlook.  THIS is why everyone was so angry with you -- I told you as much THOUSANDS of times!!  SOOOO many people said Manta has a point but what's the good in moving forward with all that negativity. 

:saddevil:  But you do win I told you so privileges :giggle:

As for Kovalchuk -- well, it wasn't lost on me that two years of the guy and we never even made the playoffs.  not his fault of course - but still not a fact lost on most of us I'd guess.  Personally I found him a drag.  How annoyed was I to see his dancing video - he still was a big wet blanket - but he was relaxed and having fun.  How long does it take to learn the system then LIGHTEN THE fvck UP already.  Parise never lightened up either - Elias is sneaky because he IS that light - but players don't quite understand it sometimes I think.  Czecs are cool - they remind me of German Americans.  (I LOVE stereotyping!! :giggle:)

Edited by Pepperkorn

If there is a mass exodus then fine. Soccer players are real dorks and it makes the game less fun having that greed on a global level, I personally feel. If the NHL turns into a game of a bunch of sentimental Clarkson types, with a deep commitment to community, so much the better. If the NHL tries to pull out the wallet like some monied jackass - well then the sport is ruined. I need there to be an element of deep and abiding emotional investment from my sporting events. I can't be the only one out there who loves hockey - the players and organization needs to as well - it's just a deeper level of commitment to the sporting community -- not to money or winning alone. If we can't have players like Elias, Danyko, Brodeur and Stevens then I'll just stick with College sports.

College sports is an even bigger financial debacle. Don't kid urself.