GoArmySports

Kovalchuk Retired Effective Immediately?

621 posts in this topic

I went through the 5 stages of grief pretty quickly.  I'd find it hard for anyone to argue that NJ isn't better off at this moment.

Man if I let it this thread could get me pretty heated all over again

I hope this Beetle eyed prick returns to the NHL someday just so I can get the chance to relentlessly boo him and call him every name in the book.

Man if I let it this thread could get me pretty heated all over again

I hope this Beetle eyed prick returns to the NHL someday just so I can get the chance to relentlessly boo him and call him every name in the book.

Seriously, all we are left with is booing at fans who still wear his jersey to games.

I hadn't read or watched Game of Thrones at the time this happened, but from now on I just may call it the Red Retirement. Thanks DM.

I saw the thread title and automatically assumed it was revived because he was coming back to the NHL.

Edited by mfitz804

I miss Kovy. Hope we get someone like him again one day.

i miss having a star player too.. theres no longer that go to guy that you as a fan feel like you can count on when your down a goal and only a couple minutes left in the third.. he brought a lot of excitement
1 person likes this

I went through the 5 stages of grief pretty quickly.  I'd find it hard for anyone to argue that NJ isn't better off at this moment.

sure if you look at some 5 on 5 corsi stats maybe you can convince yourself that.

looking at our shootout, remembering all the games we lost by one goal and a streak of missing the playoffs since he left....

no we're not better off. buddy was scoring big goals for us and was drawing opposite players opening the play for the other guys and he's fast. it's all immensely missing now on this team

Edited by SterioDesign
1 person likes this

Oh my god can we not have this thread up? It's like looking at pictures of your ex on facebook from the night you broke up.

2 people like this

sure if you look at some 5 on 5 corsi stats maybe you can convince yourself that.

looking at our shootout, remembering all the games we lost by one goal and a streak of missing the playoffs since he left....

no we're not better off. buddy was scoring big goals for us and was drawing opposite players opening the play for the other guys and he's fast. it's all immensely missing now on this team

No offense, but sometimes I wonder why you're not a Chicago or Pittsburgh fan. You constantly bemoan the team's lack of speed and flashy offense, but that's not the kind of game this team plays. The team and PDB's system negates speed and is built on quality 5v5 play where our offense comes from zone time, which is gained by forechecking hard and good play along the boards. These are both things Kovy wasn't particularly good at.

It just seems to me that sometimes you're complaining about things that epitomize who this team is. That just doesn't make sense to me.

Jesus Christ, how many walls have people put their fists through walls reading yours and Mike Brown's posts in the past year?

"Streak" of missing the playoffs?  fvcking really?  He was here in 2013 when they missed the playoffs, remember?  So they missed the playoffs once since he left...that's now a "streak"?!  And yeah, Kovy was sure awesome in 2013 (no, he wasn't).  And awesome again in 2014, when he wasn't exactly lighting it up in the KHL.  Stop living in 2012 and stop blowing Kovy up to be more than he was.    

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976

stop blowing Kovy up to be more than he was.    

Kovy was an offensive juggernaught and an exciting player to watch. He was great on the PK and fantastic in the shootout. He pretty much carried this team (on his injured back) to the finals in 11/12. He almost single-handedly got us into the playoffs in 10/11 as well after the MacLean travesty. We could very much use a bit of that. Kovy wasn't awesome in 12/13, sure, can you name a Devil who was?

Kovy was an offensive juggernaught and an exciting player to watch. He was great on the PK and fantastic in the shootout. He pretty much carried this team (on his injured back) to the finals in 11/12. He almost single-handedly got us into the playoffs in 10/11 as well after the MacLean travesty. We could very much use a bit of that. Kovy wasn't awesome in 12/13, sure, can you name a Devil who was?

Kovy needed an insane amount of ice time for a forward to get his numbers in 2012.  Don't get me wrong, I think his game came a long way at that point...it was obvious when he first became a Devil that there were a lot of holes in his game that saw improvement that season.  But I don't think he's that player anymore, and I think he knew it too when he retired from the NHL.     

The Devils didn't "almost" make the playoffs in 10-11 (they never got closer than six points), and a lot of players got hot in the second half for a while.  That second half was entertaining and they made things a little interesting, but let's face it, that team was playing with absolutely no pressure on it when they came to life...they also weren't nearly as bad as that first half suggested, so it made sense that things evened out for them.     

Kovalchuk was fun to watch, was an absolute sniper, and would be without a doubt enemy #1 on this board in a few seasons if he didn't bolt to the KHL. His cap and seemingly diminishing talent would have Stereo and MikeBrown suicidal

Yeah people forget 2012 Kovalchuk left before he actually left.  The 2013/14 version of Kovalchuk wasn't missed.

Kovy needed an insane amount of ice time for a forward to get his numbers in 2012.  Don't get me wrong, I think his game came a long way at that point...it was obvious when he first became a Devil that there were a lot of holes in his game that saw improvement that season.  But I don't think he's that player anymore, and I think he knew it too when he retired from the NHL.     

The Devils didn't "almost" make the playoffs in 10-11 (they never got closer than six points), and a lot of players got hot in the second half for a while.  That second half was entertaining and they made things a little interesting, but let's face it, that team was playing with absolutely no pressure on it when they came to life...they also weren't nearly as bad as that first half suggested, so it made sense that things evened out for them.     

There's diminishing returns on minutes.   I wouldn't hold the minutes against him.   I would hold 2013 against him, though.

THE HORSE IS DEAD DAMMIT!!! LEAVE IT ALONE PLEASE!!! I JUST WANT TO GIVE IT A PROPER BURIAL!

Kovy is a quitter and will forever be remembered as such.  Say whatever you want about how good he WAS, but HE QUIT ON US.  Q-U-I-T   I GUESS I HAVE TO SPELL IT OUT.   :blahblah::horse:

THE HORSE IS DEAD DAMMIT!!! LEAVE IT ALONE PLEASE!!! I JUST WANT TO GIVE IT A PROPER BURIAL!

Kovy is a quitter and will forever be remembered as such.  Say whatever you want about how good he WAS, but HE QUIT ON US.  Q-U-I-T   I GUESS I HAVE TO SPELL IT OUT.   :blahblah::horse:

I agree, Kovy quitting, retiring, whatever makes a lot of things moot, but there are some people who think Kovy would've kept on being 2012 Kovy had he stuck around (when there's considerable evidence to the contrary), and such fans insist on making it sound like all would be fine if he was still here.  That's what's aggravating. 

like many have posted...I still believe that Kovy was breaking down and took an opportunity to help himself AND THE TEAMS FUTURE. it was a little sudden as far as us fans know, but this was BY FAR the best scenario to get out from that boat anchor of a contract. one year's draft pick, vs 8 years?? of 6+ mil dead money???!! no brainer

yes we lose out in the first 3 years, he would have scored on the PP and i'm convinced he would have got us a few SO wins, which may or may not have put us in.  would we have still signed jagr??  he was exciting to watch and Im glad we had him for a few, I don't see him as an evil villain. and its best he's gone