Kovalchuk Gone, What moves do we make now?

grcenter47

Take the "no name D" water bottle and write "no name O" and hope for the same magic. 

My steps forward: plug in that 6 mil cap with Jagr and maybe try to overpay for a young RFA (will plead ignorance on who's still available). Try and patch together a playoff run with some 2-1 1-0 Scheinder and vintage marty's and overall great D..if it doesn't work out then get ready to have a sh!t ton of cap space next offseason. 

Edited by Steadevils
  • Like 1

You can't replace Kovalchuk's ice time - and you definitely can't replace him shorthanded - but you can sure as hell replace his 5 on 5 play

who would be the "good remplacement" for you ? Via FA ? Trade ? More than one player ? 

Exactly.  No one can realistically replace Ilya Kovalchuk, actually, moreso than Zach Parise.  Ilya is a remarkable hockey player.  A true talent.  A brute force.  He will be missed and then some.

Now it's not about replacing Ilya, but changing the dynamic of the team altogether.

I think you may have to package Larsson in a deal to get someone "you can build around."

I don't see us making any moves, that unless we can go back to the well in Vancouver and steal one of the Sedin twins.

Any chance (even if it is a 1,000,000  to 1) of negotiating away from Detroit Pavel Datsyuk?

Exactly. No one can realistically replace Ilya Kovalchuk, actually, moreso than Zach Parise. Ilya is a remarkable hockey player. A true talent. A brute force. He will be missed and then some.

Now it's not about replacing Ilya, but changing the dynamic of the team altogether.

I think you may have to package Larsson in a deal to get someone "you can build around."

I don't see us making any moves, that unless we can go back to the well in Vancouver and steal one of the Sedin twins.

Any chance (even if it is a 1,000,000 to 1) of negotiating away from Detroit Pavel Datsyuk?

your last two are completely unrealistic