Mason Raymond

NewarkDevil5

Raymond's numbers are in serious decline.  If the Devils could get him on a one year make good maybe that would work, but his shot rate is way down and so are his territorial numbers.

http://www.behindthenet.ca/nhl_statistics.php?s=1&f1=2012_s%202011_s%202010_s%202009_s%202008_s%202007_s&f2=5v5&f3=MASONRAYMOND&c=0+1+2+3+7+8+11+12+13+14+15+16+29+30+32+33+34+63#

I'm sure it's been brought up on page 57 of the 72 page UFA thread but I am not going to dig through pages and pages of various names talked about. That isn't to say I won't read those threads but at a certain point they become too unwieldy to deal with. If you want to keep your conversations regarding all players there you are more than welcome but then you shouldn't be posting in this ghread now should you?

I'm sure it's been brought up on page 57 of the 72 page UFA thread

I somewhat agree with that sentiment.   I much preferred when had topics as topics, and self-policed a bit...   Now, the general thought is to cram everything in one topic, and have multiple conversations going on at once.  

And I get it, we don't want 50 topics of every possible player that could sign here...  but at the same time, the idea for the comprehensive thread came from the trade deadline day and free agency... where there are signings/trades every 5 minutes or so...  that had nothing to do with the Devils.

• Like 3

I believe Raymond or Brunner are good options for one year deals.  I'd also like to forward the idea of maybe Simon Gagne?  Always liked his game, and never seemed to buy into the Flyers dirty cheap shot tactics

Edited by RizzMB30

The way I figure is he's fleet of skate, can shoot, has scored 20+goals before in his career and was on pace for around 20 this past season. If we signed him I could see lines looking like this:

Elias Zajac Ryder

Raymond Henrique/Loktionov Clowe

Olesz Loktionov/Josefson/Henrique Zubrus

Carter Gionta/Josefson Bernier

No superstars really, but every line would be a danger to score IMO.

I'd be surprised to see him sign a one year deal. That's about the only way I would want to add him at this point. As triumph noted, his shot rate is down despite continuing to receive really favorable offensive zone starts.

Even by goals he's only scored 20+ once and that was before his big injury. If you project out this lockout year to 82 games he still would've fallen just short. Sure he may still have that capability but I'm not sold on him going forward. I'd rather gamble on Brunner.

I don't think I could handle Mason Raymond on this team, because I would obnoxiously quote that line from Fight Club where Tyler Durden has the convenience store clerk at gunpoint.

"The question...RAYMOND...is what did you want to BE?"

I always did that with Sami Pahlson. His name is Sami Pahlson...

• 3 weeks later...

Believe me, you guys do not want Raymond. 

As a Canucks fan, he was the most frustrating player to watch most games.

Has good speed, but always, and I mean ALWAYS falls down. Has no strength at all. Not good enough offensively for the top-6, not physical enough for the bottom-6.

Has good speed, but always, and I mean ALWAYS falls down. Has no strength at all. Not good enough offensively for the top-6, not physical enough for the bottom-6.

Perfect!  The Devils need to fill that role of the guy who can't stake for sh!t since Clarkson left.  I, for one, don't see how this team could function without someone to trip over the blue lines multiple times per game.

Believe me, you guys do not want Raymond. 

As a Canucks fan, he was the most frustrating player to watch most games.

Tedenby!