[Official] Damien Brunner signed to multi-year deal

caron14

how a guy who's probably going to have back problems for the rest of his career because of a BROKEN BACK is the super safe commodity, I don't know. With Brunner you could hit a home run. With Raymond, at best, he's mediocre like he always has been. Fun.

if the team was stacked and he was that good, he should've put up a few more assists maybe

The back injury is an issue, but even if he only puts up 40 to 50 points his speed adds a lot to the team.

Who is Damien Brunner?

If you want a brief summary, here is some quick info:

He's a Swiss player who dominated the Swiss league for the few years before 2012-2013 (including the lockout period), which is when he signed with the Wings for a year.

He's a slightly small (5'11, 180-185 lbs) right-shooting left winger.

Very talented, but may need to put on some muscle and toughen up to adjust to the NHL's physical game.

He played with two very good players (Datsyuk, Zetterberg) for much of last season, which leads some to believe that he needs to be set up to score.

His most prominent feature is his nose.

In 44 games, he had 12 goals and 14 assists for 26 points for the Red Wings.

Brunner's Agent: "I am sorry but until I have signed contract for Damien Brunner, I do not comment on who or who isn't interested in Damien"

MORE Brunner's Agent: "People are able to find out many things by process of elimination & I can't be a part of that until Damien's signed."

so it's that big a deal to reveal who's interested and how much they're offering? How's that going to influence anything but us talking about it?

Teams don't want it public who they went after, in most cases. The agent would only hurt himself by revealing the teams and terms and he'd get no benefit from doing so.

Good to see you still have that gift of subtlety

Tis a gift and a curse. How are you, buddy? On cloud-nine with this KovalChaos?

I am doing very well. Are you still in school in FLA?

Could nine doesn't begin to describe it. I am just happy this mistake ended early, so I can enjoy the Devils Team again as we get back to winning championships.

Teams don't want it public who they went after, in most cases. The agent would only hurt himself by revealing the teams and terms and he'd get no benefit from doing so.

on the other hand Jagr wants the world to know who he's trying to get signed by lol

Could nine doesn't begin to describe it. I am just happy this mistake ended early, so I can enjoy the Devils Team again as we get back to winning championships.

Your hatred of Kovalchuk has clouded your judgment.  You honestly think this team is capable of winning a championship anytime soon?  Unless Lou pulls off a couple more huge signings or trades, or unless Schneider ends up being the second coming of Brodeur, Marty's retiring without a fourth Cup.  I don't think the situation is as doom-and-gloom as some others are saying, but I also don't see the Devils being anything close to championship caliber for at least a few years.

Unless you have a time machine and/or two legit top six wingers, that ain't happening any time soon.

Your hatred of Kovalchuk has clouded your judgment.  You honestly think this team is capable of winning a championship anytime soon?  Unless Lou pulls off a couple more huge signings or trades, or unless Schneider ends up being the second coming of Brodeur, Marty's retiring without a fourth Cup.  I don't think the situation is as doom-and-gloom as some others are saying, but I also don't see the Devils being anything close to championship caliber for at least a few years.

And this is a major reason I can't respect/forgive Kovalchuk, even if I concede that losing his god awful contract is a blessing. There are real consequences for real people because he left, the biggest being Marty not having a real chance at a 4th cup. I'd love to be wrong, and I admit this team could be similar to '03, but imho just making the playoffs would be a great achievement. 

Yes or no question, do you think we can make the playoffs?

Yes or no question, do you think we can make the playoffs?

With this team? I'd have a much more confident yes if Brunner was signed already.  :P  .  Goaltending: Better ; Defense: No name, but still good.  Offense is too big a question mark at this point in the offseason

Did you forget we were 2 wins away from winning the Stanley Cup? As much as I hate Kovy now I can still admit he was a big reason we got that far.

I am, but home for the summer.

I just hope the long term benefit kills the short term pain.

It will.

Again, for the billionth time:I don't hate Kovalchuk.   He didn't fit with the organizations culture, nor team orientation.   As I have stated over and over: he is an intoxicating talent, which coaches overuse to the detriment of the team.  You become dependent upon him and when he is hurt, your season is done along with him.  Not the way to win championships.

With Ryder, and potentially two other quality forwards and the unknowns from camp:  Yes, I do see us moving in the direction of another championship.   At least, we are moving in the right direction.   Addition, by Subtraction.

Did you forget we were 2 wins away from winning the Stanley Cup? As much as I hate Kovy now I can still admit he was a big reason we got that far.

Kovy was part of the success, but NOT a big reason.   We played our best game in the playoffs when he was out of the line-up.  

Our playoff success two yeasrs ago was more of a miracle team type of fluke, and not sustainable.

When Bryce Salvador leads NHL defensemen in playoff scoring, and an AHL player in Gionta comes out from nowhere and makes our 4th line to major factor, and Marty plays out of his mind at his age---you had to realize this type of lightning wasn't going to happen again.  

Unless you have a time machine and/or two legit top six wingers, that ain't happening any time soon.

Never doubt Lou.

I disagree. Since when was making "a couple more huge signings or trades" what contributed to our success in the past? I like our roster, especially if Brunner gets added to it. I loooove that we have Schneider. The players we have at our disposal, I feel they can execute DeBoer's system perfectly (Zajac won't have a slump like last year, easy to say; Zubrus/Elias are back, etc.). Clowe and Ryder are great acquisitions and Clowe will especially fit in very well, if he can stay healthy. We have a BIG team with a lot of grit and some edge, which can tire out the opposition with DeBoer's system. Add onto that that we've improved in goal, and I think we're a better team than last year. We're not unlike the Boston or Los Angeles teams in the past few years as far as the makeup of our roster is concerned.

• Like 1