Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
caron14

[Official] Damien Brunner signed to multi-year deal

653 posts in this topic

I am doing very well. Are you still in school in FLA?

Could nine doesn't begin to describe it. I am just happy this mistake ended early, so I can enjoy the Devils Team again as we get back to winning championships.

Did you forget we were 2 wins away from winning the Stanley Cup? As much as I hate Kovy now I can still admit he was a big reason we got that far.

I am doing very well. Are you still in school in FLA?

Could nine doesn't begin to describe it. I am just happy this mistake ended early, so I can enjoy the Devils Team again as we get back to winning championships.

I am, but home for the summer.

I just hope the long term benefit kills the short term pain.

It will.

Your hatred of Kovalchuk has clouded your judgment.  You honestly think this team is capable of winning a championship anytime soon?  Unless Lou pulls off a couple more huge signings or trades, or unless Schneider ends up being the second coming of Brodeur, Marty's retiring without a fourth Cup.  I don't think the situation is as doom-and-gloom as some others are saying, but I also don't see the Devils being anything close to championship caliber for at least a few years.

Again, for the billionth time:I don't hate Kovalchuk.   He didn't fit with the organizations culture, nor team orientation.   As I have stated over and over: he is an intoxicating talent, which coaches overuse to the detriment of the team.  You become dependent upon him and when he is hurt, your season is done along with him.  Not the way to win championships.

With Ryder, and potentially two other quality forwards and the unknowns from camp:  Yes, I do see us moving in the direction of another championship.   At least, we are moving in the right direction.   Addition, by Subtraction.

Did you forget we were 2 wins away from winning the Stanley Cup? As much as I hate Kovy now I can still admit he was a big reason we got that far.

Kovy was part of the success, but NOT a big reason.   We played our best game in the playoffs when he was out of the line-up.  

Our playoff success two yeasrs ago was more of a miracle team type of fluke, and not sustainable.

When Bryce Salvador leads NHL defensemen in playoff scoring, and an AHL player in Gionta comes out from nowhere and makes our 4th line to major factor, and Marty plays out of his mind at his age---you had to realize this type of lightning wasn't going to happen again.  

Unless you have a time machine and/or two legit top six wingers, that ain't happening any time soon.

Never doubt Lou.

Your hatred of Kovalchuk has clouded your judgment.  You honestly think this team is capable of winning a championship anytime soon?  Unless Lou pulls off a couple more huge signings or trades, or unless Schneider ends up being the second coming of Brodeur, Marty's retiring without a fourth Cup.  I don't think the situation is as doom-and-gloom as some others are saying, but I also don't see the Devils being anything close to championship caliber for at least a few years.

I disagree. Since when was making "a couple more huge signings or trades" what contributed to our success in the past? I like our roster, especially if Brunner gets added to it. I loooove that we have Schneider. The players we have at our disposal, I feel they can execute DeBoer's system perfectly (Zajac won't have a slump like last year, easy to say; Zubrus/Elias are back, etc.). Clowe and Ryder are great acquisitions and Clowe will especially fit in very well, if he can stay healthy. We have a BIG team with a lot of grit and some edge, which can tire out the opposition with DeBoer's system. Add onto that that we've improved in goal, and I think we're a better team than last year. We're not unlike the Boston or Los Angeles teams in the past few years as far as the makeup of our roster is concerned.

1 person likes this

Agree with DJ. Will be fun to see what this team can do. Do hope we add Brunner though.. :)

I disagree. Since when was making "a couple more huge signings or trades" what contributed to our success in the past? I like our roster, especially if Brunner gets added to it. I loooove that we have Schneider. The players we have at our disposal, I feel they can execute DeBoer's system perfectly (Zajac won't have a slump like last year, easy to say; Zubrus/Elias are back, etc.). Clowe and Ryder are great acquisitions and Clowe will especially fit in very well, if he can stay healthy. We have a BIG team with a lot of grit and some edge, which can tire out the opposition with DeBoer's system. Add onto that that we've improved in goal, and I think we're a better team than last year. We're not unlike the Boston or Los Angeles teams in the past few years as far as the makeup of our roster is concerned.

Exactly.

With this team? I'd have a much more confident yes if Brunner was signed already.  :P  .  Goaltending: Better ; Defense: No name, but still good.  Offense is too big a question mark at this point in the offseason

So, yes or no??

Yes or no question, do you think we can make the playoffs?

As the team is today without Henrique signed and without Josefson signed and then no replacement for Kovy... NO

As the team is today without Henrique signed and without Josefson signed and then no replacement for Kovy... NO

many of you will jump on LD as usual. But him saying we won't make the playoffs is no more insane than everyone else betting that we'll definitely get in.

many of you will jump on LD as usual. But him saying we won't make the playoffs is no more insane than everyone else betting that we'll definitely get in.

Both scenarios are just as realistic

Using Henrique and Josefson being unsigned as part of the rationale for saying they won't make the playoffs is kind of silly though, they'll be here barring something stupid and Lou already vowed to match offer sheets.

The only good thing about this mess is the next two-three years will prove once and for all whether the Russian merc was holding us back or not, either way we can finally end this stupid debate.

They've made plenty of huge trades that contributed to winning - Mogilny/Lemieux in 2000 and Arnott/Langs-Nieuwy was the eventual catalyst for 2003, not to mention Sykora/Friesen.

Signings no, but don't forget UFA was MUCH different pre-lockout when we were winning Cups. Now you have to use FA more with the cap and younger UFA age - Chara with Boston and Hossa with the Hawks come to mind. The formula for winning ain't the same as it was ten years ago.

Edited by NJDevs4978

Using Henrique and Josefson being unsigned as part of the rationale for saying they won't make the playoffs is kind of silly though, they'll be here barring something stupid and Lou already vowed to match offer sheets.

The only good thing about this mess is the next two-three years will prove once and for all whether the Russian merc was holding us back or not, either way we can finally end this stupid debate.

Agreed. It's kind of like saying you don't have any milk in the house just because you're still on the way to the dairy aisle. It's not going anywhere and it's pretty unlikely they're out of 2% when you get there.

They've made plenty of huge trades that contributed to winning - Mogilny/Lemieux in 2000 and Arnott/Langs-Nieuwy was the eventual catalyst for 2003, not to mention Sykora/Friesen.

Signings no, but don't forget UFA was MUCH different pre-lockout when we were winning Cups. Now you have to use FA more with the cap and younger UFA age - Chara with Boston and Hossa with the Hawks come to mind. The formula for winning ain't the same as it was ten years ago.

In the Senators' case, the formula was Mike Milbury. 

In the Senators' case, the formula was Mike Milbury. 

Milbury was the best GM for every team except the Islanders.

What I said was as the team is today. Today we have yet to replace Parise. Today we haven't replaced Kovy. Today we haven't signed Henrique nor Josefson. Will Henrique and Josefson sign I don't know, Even with them signed I believe we will not make the play-offs without signing replacements for Parise and Kovy, That my opinion and BTW many people agree with this opinion.

What I said was as the team is today. Today we have yet to replace Parise. Today we haven't replaced Kovy. Today we haven't signed Henrique nor Josefson. Will Henrique and Josefson sign I don't know, Even with them signed I believe we will not make the play-offs without signing replacements for Parise and Kovy, That my opinion and BTW many people agree with this opinion.

Yep, we didn't replace them at all, we lost 2, then signed 3 and acquired another via trade. Ya know, because we didn't replace them at all.

I think this is a great insight into your mind, it really tells a lot-- assuming that, since they aren't signed, they probably won't. Your pessimism makes me pity you.

Among other things.

The title of this thread... is kind of a jinx ; )

I think this is a great insight into your mind, it really tells a lot-- assuming that, since they aren't signed, they probably won't. Your pessimism makes me pity you.

Among other things.

Ouch.  Your getting more vituperate with age.

Your right.  How's this:

Devils not close to signing damien brunner

Listen big mouth get off my ass. fvck off

Edited by LucifersDog

Yeah.. The franchise-record-matching win-less streak last time Kovy was out with an injury certainly didn't give us any indication..

At least we singed Rod Pelley. That might turn out to be Lou's biggest move this summer. Lol.

Yeah.. The franchise-record-matching win-less streak last time Kovy was out with an injury certainly didn't give us any indication..

10 game samples prove nothing.  And yes, this includes the playoffs.

Like the "Marty getting 666 wins" thread (or comment?)...