Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
caron14

[Official] Damien Brunner signed to multi-year deal

653 posts in this topic

It has nothing to do with him.  It's a business transaction.  There's no reason for him to be there - his end is on the ice.  Whoever owns the team is immaterial to the players - the players are on guaranteed contracts, if the owner can't pay, the NHL has to step in and pay.  The way a good NHL organization works is that ownership provides the money and hires good people to run the business end and the hockey end of the franchise - the 'hockey end' of the franchise is the general manager, and he deals with the players.  This press conference was merely to introduce the owners, the CEO of marketing, a discussion of the franchise's long-term plans, and to re-affirm that Lou isn't going anywhere.  None of this involves Bryce Salvador at all.

The link between the owner and players is really not as existent as youre putting it. Who's handing the jerseys, awards and gift and sh!t to Nierdermayer, Brodeur, Zubrus, Elias and all those guys in ceremonies? yeah, it was Vanderbeek. 

anyways im not arguing with you today

The link between the owner and players is really not as existent as youre putting it. Who's handing the jerseys, awards and gift and sh!t to Nierdermayer, Brodeur, Zubrus, Elias and all those guys in ceremonies? yeah, it was Vanderbeek. 

a) Vanderbeek was very hands on, probably because above all else, he was a Devils fan

b) Only people that have something to say at a press conference should be at the press conference. What does the press ask Salvador at the press conference for something like this? Or is he standing there like a state senator's awkward 15 year old at a campaign rally?

Edited by DJ Eco

a) Vanderbeek was very hands on, probably because above all else, he was a Devils fan

b) Only people that have something to say at a press conference should be at the press conference. What does the press ask Salvador at the press conference for something like this? Or is he standing there like a state senator's awkward 15 year old at a campaign rally?

Again Zach, Elias and Brodeur we're at Kovy's press conference and had nothing to say. It was just showing support or wtv how you want to call it. and like i said i dont care that he was there or not and im not saying he should have been there, im just saying that its not true that it had NOTHING to do there, thats pushing imo.

lol you started the argument.  I didn't respond to something you said.  Then you called me contrarian.  Who's the contrarian here?

Those events involving Vanderbeek as owner were for on-ice achievements, and some owners are more hands-on than others.  Vanderbeek was a fan before he bought the team, these guys were not (or at least nothing they said gave me the impression they were).  It remains to be seen what public presence they will have.  They own another sports franchise and still have day jobs, so I don't think they will be as public as Vanderbeek was.  They might've even retained Vanderbeek in the organization to keep doing these things, who knows.  

The press conference had nothing to do with the on-ice affairs of the team.  DJ Eco described it pretty perfectly - if you wanted to get Salvador there to have him say 10 versions of the same thing, go ahead and waste his morning.  It doesn't involve him.  It doesn't involve DeBoer either, as PK said.  

The Kovalchuk press conference was about a PLAYER.  That involves the team - while they didn't have to be there (and it was a little odd that there was a press conference like that), they showed up.

Edited by Triumph

lol I don't even think the players show up when a COACH is announced (at least I don't remember Parise or anyone else being there when PDB was introduced), much less an owner.

And when Salvador was at the Yankee Stadium thing people complained about why wasn't it Brodeur/Elias/Jagr lmao.

Edited by NJDevs4978

Scott Stevens should have been there. This is marketing dammit at and he's fine eye candy window dressing whathaveyou. On all levels the man should have been there above all others.

True McMullen never really was around for a lot of the ceremonies on the ice when he was owner.

Then again under Scrooge McMullen he never gave out much stuff to the players for achievements to begin with.

So this guy still hasn't signed anywhere. Is this what happens when you think you are worth more than you've proven to be?

So this guy still hasn't signed anywhere. Is this what happens when you think you are worth more than you've proven to be?

Rofl. It's over Damien. Camp opens in a week. No one's giving you $3 million a year. Its contract signing time Mr. Brunner.

I bet that Barlotta guy on twitter is sweating pretty good now.

Or at least I hope he is.

No room for him any more. 

We could make roster room for him...  we have the cap space to do it.

Not sure what the implications would be (and it's affect on next years free agents) for next year with the bonuses, etc

Edited by aylbert

Given where we are now, what do you think the odds are of Lou making any changes or just riding it out to see what he has?

Brunner's going to want a shot at top forward time and he's not likely to get that here.  I don't see a spot for him, Lou said he's done with signing people and that he's not likely inviting any tryouts to camp.  He might make a trade, and there's enough smoke to suggest NJ kicked the tires on Brunner, but they went in another direction.

i just hope we dont have to look back at this in a few years and be like "damn look at Brunner now... we should have sign him instead of Jagr"

eventhough i know Jagr will fill a role that we need "now" so its not a good way to look at it but still

Edited by SterioDesign

I bet that Barlotta guy on twitter is sweating pretty good now.

Or at least I hope he is.

He will just make up something new in the future and a bunch of new people will defend him for no reason.

I just posted this an hour before on the other thread....

I just posted this an hour before on the other thread....

Purely coincidental. I didn't look through any other threads before bumping this.

Purely coincidental. I didn't look through any other threads before bumping this.

Ahh fair enough. I wish we could sign him for about 2 mil but i dont see that happening

Brunner's going to want a shot at top forward time and he's not likely to get that here.  I don't see a spot for him, Lou said he's done with signing people and that he's not likely inviting any tryouts to camp.  He might make a trade, and there's enough smoke to suggest NJ kicked the tires on Brunner, but they went in another direction.

Florida usually signs these types of players. Wouldn't be surprised if they still signed him. Or Calgary.

Do the Devils really have a set 1st line? Can't think of another team like ours where there are 3 second lines (as far as skill is concerned, in my opinion). I honestly see more room here for him to flourish and make a 1st line than anywhere else...

Edited by DJ Eco

Doesnt look like we are getting him, but I would still really like him. We would be a cap team if we signed him for sure (unless we somehow got rid of Volchenkov), but i think he would really complete our offense. The way im looking at the lines right now it looks like it could be:

Elias-Zajac-Ryder

Clowe-Henrique-Jagr

Zubrus-Loktionov-Olesz

Carter-Josefson-Bernier

That second line looks really slow with Clowe and Jagr and I would much rather have:

Brunner-Henrique-Jagr

Clowe-Loktionov-Zubrus

Olesz-Carter-Bernier

I know some people don't think theres a spot for him anyway but i think the Devils could make it work.

watching his highlights is fun till you see them beating up on the Avs; and realize its a little like larsson's goal against the Panthers in a 7-2 woop on summer ice replay.

still, for the right price Brunner would complete team U.N.