Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
caron14

[Official] Damien Brunner signed to multi-year deal

653 posts in this topic

Florida usually signs these types of players. Wouldn't be surprised if they still signed him. Or Calgary.

Nice so this means that we will get him in a few years. Like with Carter, Bernier and Olesz. The road to NJ travels through Florida...

I'm guessing Lou tried to sign Brunner and when he couldn't reach an agreement went with Jagr.

Works out fine considering next year's UFA group is much better and Lou could end up with someone better than Brunner for long term top 6 RW.

Next years UFA's (obviously most of them won't even make it to July)...

http://capgeek.com/free-agents/?year_id=2014&team_id=-1&position_id=-1&fa_type_id=2

Edited by Jerzey Devil

Do the Devils really have a set 1st line? Can't think of another team like ours where there are 3 second lines (as far as skill is concerned, in my opinion). I honestly see more room here for him to flourish and make a 1st line than anywhere else...

That's not what I meant.  Ryder and Jagr are above him on the depth chart.  I don't think Brunner wants to sign with a team that'll put him in the same spot he was in with Detroit.

Doesnt look like we are getting him, but I would still really like him. We would be a cap team if we signed him for sure (unless we somehow got rid of Volchenkov), but i think he would really complete our offense. The way im looking at the lines right now it looks like it could be:

Elias-Zajac-Ryder

Clowe-Henrique-Jagr

Zubrus-Loktionov-Olesz

Carter-Josefson-Bernier

That second line looks really slow with Clowe and Jagr and I would much rather have:

Brunner-Henrique-Jagr

Clowe-Loktionov-Zubrus

Olesz-Carter-Bernier

I know some people don't think theres a spot for him anyway but i think the Devils could make it work.

You have two off-wings on the same line which isn't likely to fly here.  Also the Devils didn't sign Ryane Clowe for 5 years to stick him with the 3rd line right away.  In addition, Brunner isn't exactly a burner either.  You've also left Josefson off the starting 12, which means he and Barch are the healthy scratches and Gionta's in the minors?  I doubt it.  Josefson's waiver eligible this year so his days in the minor leagues are likely over.

Adding another forward creates all sorts of complications with the roster as built.  I could see the Devils making a trade for a forward maybe, but just adding one?  I don't think so.

That's not what I meant.  Ryder and Jagr are above him on the depth chart.  I don't think Brunner wants to sign with a team that'll put him in the same spot he was in with Detroit.

You have two off-wings on the same line which isn't likely to fly here.  Also the Devils didn't sign Ryane Clowe for 5 years to stick him with the 3rd line right away.  In addition, Brunner isn't exactly a burner either.  You've also left Josefson off the starting 12, which means he and Barch are the healthy scratches and Gionta's in the minors?  I doubt it.  Josefson's waiver eligible this year so his days in the minor leagues are likely over.

Adding another forward creates all sorts of complications with the roster as built.  I could see the Devils making a trade for a forward maybe, but just adding one?  I don't think so.

which line has two players on their off wings? And the way our team is built I dont think there will be much of a difference in ice time in the top 9. So i dont think its a big deal putting Clowe on the third. I agree with you that they didn't sign him for a 3rd line role, but if its for the betterment of the team then I dont think it will matter to management. Yeah there will be more ice time in the top 6 but i dont see it being much. The lines seem pretty balanced to me. And as ive said before I feel like Josefson is somewhat expendable now that we have Loktionov. 

I think the lines without Brunner will be fine, but I dont think that 3rd line will produce much throughout the season unless we get a better player than Olesz.

Edited by njd3b1ink

All good points

which line has two players on their off wings?

Brunner-Henrique-Jagr.  You have a righty shot on the left wing and lefty shot on the right wing.  You don't see NHL teams doing this except in rare (and dumb) instances (e.g. Kovalchuk-Antropov-Afinogenov in Atlanta).  It creates problems with the breakout and along the boards in the offensive and defensive zone.

Edited by Triumph

Brunner-Henrique-Jagr.  You have a righty shot on the left wing and righty shot on the left wing.  You don't see NHL teams doing this except in rare (and dumb) instances (e.g. Kovalchuk-Antropov-Afinogenov in Atlanta).  It creates problems with the breakout and along the boards in the offensive and defensive zone.

Oh i see what you mean. I thought you meant they werent playing their natural position. I was staring at the lines I posted for a few minutes looking for it haha.

obvious move next summer is to sign the sedin twins then win the cup right after to cause another vancouver riot. 

1 person likes this

Josefson's waiver eligible this year so his days in the minor leagues are likely over.

Surely he was just assuming Josefson would be injured.

1 person likes this

btw - i'm as big a bull on loktionov as anyone but other than a good 2 1/2 weeks with kovalchuk, he wasn't exactly a sure thing here. he got demoted and then scratched for a time. i know josefson has gotten hurt and underwhelmed offensively when given a chance but he's proven to be adaptable to playing wing and can go up against tough competition and not get run out of town.

both, i would say, are equal question marks for this year

btw - i'm as big a bull on loktionov as anyone but other than a good 2 1/2 weeks with kovalchuk, he wasn't exactly a sure thing here. he got demoted and then scratched for a time. i know josefson has gotten hurt and underwhelmed offensively when given a chance but he's proven to be adaptable to playing wing and can go up against tough competition and not get run out of town.

both, i would say, are equal question marks for this year

Loktionov was never demoted, besides initially when the Devils got him.  He was scratched late in the season, but I suspect that was to evaluate everyone more than anything else.

Whether the points come is a question but the territorial play was impressive all the way around.  It's not like it's stapled to a guy who doesn't produce much, like Zharkov, either - Loktionov has very good numbers in the minor leagues.  

I don't think it's a sure thing either but only because GMs have a tendency to treat found money foolishly - assuming there's no steps back, Loktionov should be a 15 minute a game player.

Edited by Triumph

I'm guessing Lou tried to sign Brunner and when he couldn't reach an agreement went with Jagr.

Works out fine considering next year's UFA group is much better and Lou could end up with someone better than Brunner for long term top 6 RW.

Next years UFA's (obviously most of them won't even make it to July)...

http://capgeek.com/free-agents/?year_id=2014&team_id=-1&position_id=-1&fa_type_id=2

Anyone in particular that you have in mind? Stastny doesn't play on the wing ever, does he? Other than him Kulemin and Setoguchi seem like the only others I could see making it to free agency that are somewhat interesting as a top-6 solution. That's assuming Kulemin is improving still.

Say what you will about Stastny, but I still think he can be a good player in a change of scenery.

Loktionov was never demoted, besides initially when the Devils got him.  He was scratched late in the season, but I suspect that was to evaluate everyone more than anything else.

Whether the points come is a question but the territorial play was impressive all the way around.  It's not like it's stapled to a guy who doesn't produce much, like Zharkov, either - Loktionov has very good numbers in the minor leagues.  

I don't think it's a sure thing either but only because GMs have a tendency to treat found money foolishly - assuming there's no steps back, Loktionov should be a 15 minute a game player.

i should have clarified - i did not mean sent to albany - i meant put on lower lines and less important roles.

Anyone in particular that you have in mind? Stastny doesn't play on the wing ever, does he? Other than him Kulemin and Setoguchi seem like the only others I could see making it to free agency that are somewhat interesting as a top-6 solution. That's assuming Kulemin is improving still.

Say what you will about Stastny, but I still think he can be a good player in a change of scenery.

I wouldn't mind going for Stastny for out first line center (or 1A) and then bumping Henrique to wing. 

I don't think the Devils will land any of the big ones. Maybe Gaborik if he doesn't like Columbus. Would be great if we could land Kessel but I think we all know that won't happen.

He priced himself out of the NHL, some baaad advice from his manager. He shoulda signed that wings contract, proven himself, then ask for a phat contract. Maybe he will reconsider his asking price and still end up in the NHL somewhere. Sucks for him.

I had a weird dream last night. The Devils were going to make an announcement, and all the fans thought it would be the signing of Brunner or Boyes, and instead, NJ announces Rod Brindamour coming out of retirement to play 1 more season with the Devils.

I had a weird dream last night. The Devils were going to make an announcement, and all the fans thought it would be the signing of Brunner or Boyes, and instead, NJ announces Rod Brindamour coming out of retirement to play 1 more season with the Devils.

Really? Rod Brind'amour? Not only is he the only guy uglier than Lyle Odelein, he's also most closely associated to me with the Flyers and Hurricanes. Definitely not my first choice in terms of dreaming of bringing someone out of retirement. :P

On a positive note, it'd piss off the Philly faithful something awful.

Really? Rod Brind'amour? Not only is he the only guy uglier than Lyle Odelein, he's also most closely associated to me with the Flyers and Hurricanes. Definitely not my first choice in terms of dreaming of bringing someone out of retirement. :P

On a positive note, it'd piss off the Philly faithful something awful.

Cmon, be fair.  You're forgetting Mike Ricci.

1 person likes this

Barnaby was dead on when he called Odelein "Cornelius".

Brinda'Amour looks like a camel.

OK, let's have it out; which one's uglier?

mike_ricci_081107.jpg20110218_dn_z1flye18s.JPGOdelein_Lyle_1.jpg

Always thought this guy was the ugliest in the NHL lol

richar5.jpg

OK, let's have it out; which one's uglier?

Why is Bobby Holik not part of this discussion?