Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
caron14

[Official] Damien Brunner signed to multi-year deal

653 posts in this topic

Would they have to waive Gionta? Doesn't he have a 2 way making him AHL eligible?

A two-way or one-way contract doesn't have anything to do with AHL eligibility or waiver-eligibility.  Gionta does have a two-way contract this year meaning he gets paid less money if he's in the AHL, but he's also eligible for waivers.  I think he'd pass through, and wouldn't cry if he was taken, but who knows.  

Obviously I agree with the consensus that Gionta is simply not good enough to merit a spot on the team, but he's earned the right to be the first callup.

Edited by Triumph

Would love to see brunner added to this team for the right price! Excited to see what happens here

Anyone see the interview yet? It has to be said, his nose is gigantic.

Well, you know what they say about guys with big noses...

[slight pause]

Bigger boogers.

https://www.youtube.com/embed/AqIEB0r3FUI

Anyone see the interview yet? It has to be said, his nose is gigantic.

Would they have to waive Gionta? Doesn't he have a 2 way making him AHL eligible?

Apparently there's only room for one giant honker on the team.

I honestly believe PDB had on his "wish list" a right handed fw w/ speed and Bruner fit's that bill.  I watched playoff games w/ detroit last year and Babcock won't put an irresponsible player on top two lines. And he wasn't playing with Zetterberg to boost his (bruners) numbers.I know he's not a lock but being a righty really helps.

I think there are two big issues here. First, as many have alluded to, the cap has gone down and teams are more focused on locking up the top line guys right now and piecing together the rest of the roster as best they can (knowing the cap will be going back up eventually). There were plenty of big signings, trades and contract extensions for "#1 guys" this offseason despite the cap situation.

More telling in this case is that Brunner is 27 years old.  Initially, he and his agent were probably not really interested in taking 750K- 1.25M for a year or two as a bridge. He wants to make big money now considering his time in the NHL will most likely be shorter than other players in their only their second season. The fact that no one else pulled the trigger on this guy leads us to believe the asking price was over the top.

Hopefully PDB finds a spot for him because all signs point to him being an upgrade compared to some of the other guys likely to make the bug club. I'm sure he will be compensated fairly and a bigger deal may only be a year or two away.

Well, you know what they say about guys with big noses...

[slight pause]

Bigger boogers.

Now you tell me.  It would have helped had someone finished that old adage for me years ago  <_<

More telling in this case is that Brunner is 27 years old.  Initially, he and his agent were probably not really interested in taking 750K- 1.25M for a year or two as a bridge. He wants to make big money now considering his time in the NHL will most likely be shorter than other players in their only their second season. The fact that no one else pulled the trigger on this guy leads us to believe the asking price was over the top.

The wings offered him 2 years at 2.5mill per season. I would think he was either incredibly mismanaged to not accept that or he legitimately wanted more playing time and did not care as much about the money (doubtful). Now he's stuck with a PTO and will possibly be making quite a bit less than the Wings offer.

Either way, might work out in our favor, but his camp fvcked up.

Here's a German article, not sure how well it translates to english: http://www.20min.ch/sport/dossier/timeout/story/Falsch-beraten-und-ein-bisschen-Groessenwahn-24739296

Edited by mrthemike

i honesty dont see why brunner wouldnt make the line up.. but then who would be getting clipped out of the line up for him?

if we sign him i really hope its 2 years at least a lower cap hit. I really think we're lucky to be in a position to get him now and we're likely landing him cause we're one of the only team who can and is willing to give him a shot. But it could be different next summer.

Would like to see a two year deal. Would stink to have to replace both he and Jagr if he does indeed prove to be a decent player this year and leaves.

It’s basically saying his manager screwed up big by overestimating his bargaining position

Yep, I understood it, but I didn't run it through the translator for others.

Realistically, can he hope for more than 1.5-2 million at this point? I guess he can have a beastly pre-season (lol) and then teams get interested in his services and that jacks up the price, but really, at this point?

Realistically, can he hope for more than 1.5-2 million at this point? I guess he can have a beastly pre-season (lol) and then teams get interested in his services and that jacks up the price, but really, at this point?

Which begs the question, how exactly would a post-tryout contract work? Say he does have a beastly pre-season, would the Devils have exclusive signing rights for a window of time, almost like an RFA? Or is he fair game?

Which begs the question, how exactly would a post-tryout contract work? Say he does have a beastly pre-season, would the Devils have exclusive signing rights for a window of time, almost like an RFA? Or is he fair game?

Good question but based on what I remember happening a couple years ago with stralman I would think he is open game after training camp is over.

Apparently there's only room for one giant honker on the team.

:giggle: you beat me to it

maybe by signing him to a low one year contract, he will have to something to prove and perhaps perform to get a better one

Either way, its nice to have pleasant news like this one game into the preseason. Hopefully he sticks and we have essentially revamped our team in one season.

I'm sorry if I missed it, but what are the details of a PTO in the NHL? The only thing I can really find is this blurb on PTO's in the AHL...

Professional Try Out (PTO) is found only in the AHL. This type of contract is limited to 25 games and a player can only be signed to a PTO twice per season. After the second time, the player is either signed to a Standard Player Contract, is a free agent, or if the player is signed to an ECHL team, he is then returned to that team.[3]