[Official] Damien Brunner signed to multi-year deal

caron14

You're bumping olesz out of the top 12 w/ 2 signings and I don't think that's happening. As it is, signing brunner, which I very much want, knocks gionta out and we know the devils are fond of him.

I think they're signing one more forward and that's what they'll go to camp with. That alone knocks one of barch, gionta and tedenby off the varsity and we know barch stays to be the resident punching bag

Oups just forgot about him hes clearly better than tedenby.

Clowe and Ryder are no slouches especially Ryder who has a really quick wrister. Don't forget Zubrus, Carter, Bernier, Zajac and Henrique. I'm excited to see what Olesz can do since he was coached by Deboer in Florida. In addition we have at least three good offensive defensemen in Zids, Greene and Fayne.

Slouches? No. But Elias not only creates his own shot in ways other guys can't, he also creates a lot of their shots, and draws the defense. I think Ryder especially is going to help open things up a lot, but I think all the other guys you mentioned, with the possible exception of Henrique, need someone on their line to help them, and the offense is therefore going to run through Elias a lot.

I think we have 3 second lines, as far as skill and energy is concerned. We don't have one single powerhouse line like other teams do, but I think we're deeper going into this season once we go down the bench, and we know how important that is in today's league.

I think we have 3 second lines, as far as skill and energy is concerned. We don't have one single powerhouse line like other teams do, but I think we're deeper going into this season once we go down the bench, and we know how important that is in today's league.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with that. It's better than having one "powerhouse line" then three that you're embarrassed to roll out (Rangers)

I would rather have 3 solid lines full of guys that can score 20 to 30 goals than rely on one guy who can score 40. We all saw what happened when that guy went down.

Agreed; 3 second lines isn't ideal but it's far from a panic situation as well. I could live with that, and with our new goalie tandem you certainly look good to hit the playoffs like that as well.

Elias wasn't 'matched into oblivion' when Kovalchuk wasn't here.  In fact, he and Zajac (and Clarkson) were incredible at keeping the puck in the opponent's end.

We'll see.   He's another season older and I don't like him having to be a "target".  

We'll see.   He's another season older and I don't like him having to be a "target".  

Keep him targeting others then. Just play him in defensive zone and against top lines and other teams checkers won't be out against him. If you zone match then it creates mismatches for opposing teams coaches.

Just need one of those "2nd lines" to find some real chemistry and they can become a 1st line. We've seen it before with the devils A-line, EGG, ZZ-pops. None of those were really powerhouse lines on paper, but caused serious damage due to clicking as a unit. All that would be left after that is to name them.

per TG

Just talked to Damien Brunner's agent, Neil Sheehy. Wouldn't say which teams he's talked to. Says "nothing imminent" as far as signing.

well this is shutting some rumours and it's making me nervous a little, we REALLY need to sign another scorer at the very least

Whatever, that development sounds good to me. I don't care about Brunner, he's an unproven, flashy players who's most well known feat was that nice shootout move against the Jackets. Color me unimpressed, just give me Mason Raymond.

Good, we'll color you unimpressed while all the Detroit fans who actually watched him play talk about how sorry they are to lose him.

Good, we'll color you unimpressed while all the Detroit fans who actually watched him play talk about how sorry they are to lose him.

And how unsorry Vancouver fans are to lose Mason Raymond, about whom the only thing 'proven' is that he's on the decline at age 27.

per TG

Just talked to Damien Brunner's agent, Neil Sheehy. Wouldn't say which teams he's talked to. Says "nothing imminent" as far as signing.

well this is shutting some rumours and it's making me nervous a little, we REALLY need to sign another scorer at the very least

Under direct orders from Lou to say nothing. Come on guys, this is a good sign

per TG

Typical response before a player gets signed to New Jersey, jus' sayin'.

And how unsorry Vancouver fans are to lose Mason Raymond, about whom the only thing 'proven' is that he's on the decline at age 27.

how a guy who's probably going to have back problems for the rest of his career because of a BROKEN BACK is the super safe commodity, I don't know. With Brunner you could hit a home run. With Raymond, at best, he's mediocre like he always has been. Fun.

Raymond played on a stacked Canucks club and still put up 10 goals and 12 assists in 46 games.

if the team was stacked and he was that good, he should've put up a few more assists maybe

Edited by DH26

It sounds like both sides are trying to squeeze that last .25 or .5 million out of the other side. Devils put it out there that they are also looking at Raymond (which they are probably doing as a plan B at the minimum) and Brunner's agent saying there's nothing immanent because they have a few other teams interested. hopefully something gets done eventually because this fills a pretty big hole in the lineup.

the thing with those 2 signings... its not that we're really thinking that those 2 guys (brunner / Raymond) would break walls coming here, but i still think they'd be upgrades. Especially for our special teams, it could prevent to see 3rd and 4th line players on our first wave of PP for examples like we saw last season. same thing with the PK.