Grantland: Winners and Losers of Ilya Kovalchuk's Retirement

smelly

with this kovalchuk thing it is what it is.. all the pros and cons have been laid out there ... and even if it puts us in a better situation down the road we are surely not benefitting at all from his deserting us next season... hopefully we wont have to continue seeing this dead horse be beaten the way it is right now and we can all move on and leave this to haunt the past

Winner: Fans of every NHL team except the Devils

I know, I know, I’m supposed to put this in the “loser” column because we’ve all been deprived of watching a generational talent ply his trade in the NHL and that should make us all feed sad and blah blah blah.

Here’s the thing: Kovalchuk was a really, really good hockey player, and he didn’t play for your favorite team. That means that while you’re going to pretend to be upset about him leaving, you’re actually kind of glad that he’s not going to get to light it up against your team anymore. If we’re all being honest, you’d be perfectly happy with every star player in the league shredding his ACL tomorrow if it meant your team would have a slightly better chance of making the playoffs. Just remember, we’re not supposed to acknowledge this part out loud.

NHL fans will be losers if Kovalchuk’s decision is the first domino in what turns out to be an exodus of the league’s few remaining Russian stars. But again, that doesn’t seem to be the expectation right now, so let’s hold off on any panic.

This is true in a way. And it is kind of shame. There is no national stars in hockey. Nobody is saying what a shame it is that the league lost a player that could be reaching 500 goals this season, if it wasn't for the lockouts. Or what a shame it is that the league is losing a scorer that could finish top 10 all-time in career goals. People are just laughing at the Devils expense as we would if the Pens lost Malkin, or the Rangers Nash, or the Flyers Giroux. And we'd probably be happy if any other team got worse.

But the league lost a great scorer -- the best in the last decade. A player that maybe people enjoy to see his highlights when he scores electric goals, but aren't going to turn on a Devils game just to watch him play. But he is a talent that would be considered a superstar in any other sport. Unfortunately, not in the NHL. And that's an issue on its own.

I'm so fvcking sick of reading about how the team is "struggling financially." Every fvcking offseason that comes up in every fvcking story. I think I'm just going to stop reading them, and only read what TG ever has to say about this team.

I'm so fvcking sick of reading about how the team is "struggling financially." Every fvcking offseason that comes up in every fvcking story. I think I'm just going to stop reading them, and only read what TG ever has to say about this team.

Devils are still on shaky ground but I don't think it is bad as the papers make them out to be. They wouldn't be spending as much as they are now if they were

Devils are still on shaky ground but I don't think it is bad as the papers make them out to be. They wouldn't be spending as much as they are now if they were

It just gets tiresome. It's like every damn story. Even when the season comes around. "It is unknown if Peter DeBoer will shuffle the lines around for tonight's game, as ownership struggles to pay their debt"