2013-14 schedule thread

MadDog2020

And what better way to kick it off than this nugget from TG: @TGfireandice: 'I'm hearing a certain former Devil and his team from the Western Conference will be at Pru Center for the Devils' 2013-14 opener.' Get your dollar bills and your vocal cords ready: sounds like Zach is coming to town for the opener.

If its the wild I think there will be hate, but not a whole ton. This will be over a year removed and the fact that Kovalchuk has now become public enemy number one.

I disagree. Kovalchuk won't be coming back at any point to boo. I think Parise gets his own hate, plus the pent up Kovy hate.

Not to mention Langenbrunner has said he wants to catch on there, so if he somehow sticks...We're going to be one spiteful fan base that night.

Yeah we're booing the two of them, Rupp and also Suter by association.  They can have an all-boo line.

Hell, let's boo Matt Cooke and Heatley too...that's pretty much half their team now  :lol:

Edited by NJDevs4978

If its the wild I think there will be hate, but not a whole ton. This will be over a year removed and the fact that Kovalchuk has now become public enemy number one.

They got LOUD boos at the draft...the anger hasn't subsided.  I mean yeah the Russian merc skipped town after that but still.

Edited by NJDevs4978

Still completely silly that people are going to boo parise. Completely classless if the fans do. The guy played 100% every minute of his contract. Then took the opportunity to go play at home, in front of a full building of people there for a hockey game, not free t-shirts. I hope he scores 40 goals next year just to rub it in the faces of all the people who wanted The Commy over him.

Still completely silly that people are going to boo parise. Completely classless if the fans do. The guy played 100% every minute of his contract. Then took the opportunity to go play at home, in front of a full building of people there for a hockey game, not free t-shirts. I hope he scores 40 goals next year just to rub it in the faces of all the people who wanted The Commy over him.

reading this is pretty refreshing. parise gave us everything he had. The guy wanted to go home, period.

Kovy, on the other hand, completely dicked us over in a classless way. Boo the fvck out of him

Will people boo me if I don't boo Parise? When I see him on the ice I just want to remember the good times.

What good times?  Parise's highlight as a Devil came when wearing a Team USA uniform.  All of his tenure was early exits and no-shows in the playoffs until the 'commie' got here.  Even last year he was well behind the Russian merc, Zajac and the fourth line in terms of production in the playoff run.

reading this is pretty refreshing. parise gave us everything he had. The guy wanted to go home, period.

Kovy, on the other hand, completely dicked us over in a classless way. Boo the fvck out of him

He took a pretty fat paycheck to do it too.  What was different from Parise going home and Kovalchuk doing it aside from the obvious difference of one skipping out on a contract?  One just got a fatter paycheck than the other's fat paycheck and isn't playing in the NHL.  

Plus with Parise you believed him when he said he'd stay - and he was publicly crying about a deal for eighteen months all the while secretly plotting his exit with Suter.  With Kovy (like Brent Sutter) there were warning signs all over the place - starting with the way he couldn't get dragged back slow enough after the lockout.  Some people thought me and others were being paranoid about worrying.

Edited by NJDevs4978

Not to totally derail this thread, but until the schedules gets announced: Parise will get it. Langenbrunner will get it if he signs with the Wild. Holik got it. Niedermayer got it. Kovalchuk won't ever be in the USA to get a lashing from Devils fans. I get the frustration and anger, but it be great if we could cheer half as hard as we boo for ex-Devils when they come to town. 

It's not like the Devils honoured past players like Madden, Gionta, Pandolfo, or Rafalski when they came back to town. 4 key contributors in a bunch of Cups (Gionta is a stretch in 03), and all 4 left because the Devils no longer wanted them or thought they weren't worth as much as the market said. That's the business. We get on athletes for being selfish or choosing what is best for themselves, but when the team chooses what's best for themselves, we don't even think twice. We barely even acknowledge their contributions. 

In game 1, is anyone going to give Zidlicky a standing ovation for passing on multi-year offers to stay with Devilsf for 1. Of course not. It seems silly to even suggest. If we are going to boo Parise or anyone else, doesn't Elias deserve a gigantic standing ovation and chants of "Patty Patty" or "Thank You Patty" during the first game for staying as a lifelong Devil? Shouldn't there be signs for him as well. Because there will be signs for Zach for that first game. And there will be negative chants as well. I'd like to think the positive of Elias staying should outweigh the negativity of Parise leaving.

Not saying this is exclusive to this fanbase. This is how it goes in sports in general. That's why I'll never get on an athlete for going anywhere they want or taking any amount of money they want. Be selfish, because it doesn't matter how many discount deals or unselfish decisions you make. The moment you lose your value, or make too much money or can't produce, the team and the fans will turn on you. 

Edit: And I see some more comments about Zach secretly planning this exit or telling people he'd stay. As we know everyone got him for that, but no one cares when the team doesn't hold up their end of the bargain to the player. Don't hear about fans leaving their favourite team because they backstabbed a player and following the player to a new team. If you know it is a business, treat it like it is a business for both the player and the team.

Edited by devilsrule33
  • Like 1

The Langs reaction was actually a lot more benign than I thought it'd be when he came back with the Blues.  He even got some polite applause in intros, which was amazing considering how it ended (and the crowd cheering the night he was a scratch when he got traded).  Of course he did get booed during the shootout, and predictably complained about that afterward.

We did cheer Madden/Gionta/Rafalski when they came back iirc, or at least the first two.  Raf was never close to beloved even when he was here, much to my consternation.  Hell even the fans knew the Devils passed on them more than they actually left.  Of course some of the negative stuff is petty, but that's the fan's prerogative.  It always is a pet peeve of mine when fans try to tell other fans who they should and shouldn't boo on 'another' team.

Edited by NJDevs4978

What good times?  Parise's highlight as a Devil came when wearing a Team USA uniform.  All of his tenure was early exits and no-shows in the playoffs until the 'commie' got here.  Even last year he was well behind the Russian merc, Zajac and the fourth line in terms of production in the playoff run.

In terms of tenure (1 year/cup final), he is the most successful captain we ever had. :)

Greaaaaaat.  Remind me to stay off NJDevs, Twitter, and Facebook that night.

Haha my thoughts as well.

So then shouldn't you be happy he's gone?  It's funny how the people who are the most butthurt about him leaving are the same ones who said he never did anything for us anyway.  I can't believe how much hate this guy gets on here.  Most of us probably would have done the same thing in his situation.  Being a sports fan doesn't mean you have to be illogical.