Josefson re-signs 1 yr, 725k

Mayday

You're assuming Loktionov wanted a 2 year deal.  Perhaps his thinking was that he wanted only 1 year to see how he's going to be used so he's not tied up for an extra year of either playing sporatically, or spending time in Albany.  There are 2 parties negotiating these deals.  This is clearly a show me deal for both him and the team as, if he doesn't play top 6 minutes and isn't regularly in the lineup, he likely will bolt to the KHL for much more money next year.  Plus, if he is a bust without Kovy on his wing, the Devils aren't tied up in an unproven player that can't produce without a superstar on his wing for another season.  

This is fair.  I know it's common to think that Kovalchuk on Loktionov's wing was the driving force behind his success, but he had basically equal time with and without Kovalchuk and produced similar numbers in both.  But yeah, not that much reason for Loktionov to sign 2 years.

JJ wasn't demoted because of our goaltending issues and/or 1 goal against while he was on the ice.  He was demoted becaused he played like crap, can't score into a soccer goal, and was getting worse game by game before being sent down.  I like him, and think he can be a solid NHL'er over time, but the guy is more fragile than Glass Joe from Mike Tyson's Punchout based upon what we've seen from him thus far.  No need or reason to give him anything more than he got at this point, especially since he's nowhere near close to his UFA years at this point.

He was demoted because goalies couldn't stop a shot when he was on the ice and he and his linemates couldn't score.  I don't blame him for losing confidence when one out of every 7 shots while he's on the ice is ending up in the net.  He was given a difficult task from Peter DeBoer - playing two different positions in a particular game, and a lot of defensive zone draws to boot.  Not easy for a 22 year old.  He still had an excellent season in the AHL and hopefully is still a big part of what the Devils want to do in the future.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

He was demoted because goalies couldn't stop a shot when he was on the ice and he and his linemates couldn't score.  I don't blame him for losing confidence when one out of every 7 shots while he's on the ice is ending up in the net.  He was given a difficult task from Peter DeBoer - playing two different positions in a particular game, and a lot of defensive zone draws to boot.  Not easy for a 22 year old.  He still had an excellent season in the AHL and hopefully is still a big part of what the Devils want to do in the future.

Thats not true i remember him CLEARLY making many very bad plays/decisions who cost us goals or not backchecking watching the player entering the zone. He's young and all but to give the blame all on his linemates.

i remember him flipping the puck blindly right to Galchenuk to the point who went on to make a play for Prust's goal and the game after against Boston stopped skating on his forecheck just to let Horton get the puck and score to tie and he we ended up losing on SO.

Edited by SterioDesign

I don't view this as a "show me" deal at all. He's only 22 and will still be under team control for years after this. His lack of scoring (which I bet turns around) allows the Devils to retain him at low cost. He's only 22 and has shown he can play in the NHL and be responsible defensively. I think he has a solid NHL future ahead.

I don't view this as a "show me" deal at all. He's only 22 and will still be under team control for years after this. His lack of scoring (which I bet turns around) allows the Devils to retain him at low cost. He's only 22 and has shown he can play in the NHL and be responsible defensively. I think he has a solid NHL future ahead.

100% agree... I really believe JJ will be a solid NHL player... it just matter of time... 

I believe in JJ

PS: at 22 you dont says the guy is a bust or not... remind yourself that a lot of our player in the system start their nhl career around 23-24 years old

100% agree... I really believe JJ will be a solid NHL player... it just matter of time... 

I believe in JJ

PS: at 22 you dont says the guy is a bust or not... remind yourself that a lot of our player in the system start their nhl career around 23-24 years old

I mean, this is also what we liked to tell ourselves about Teddy, but I'm 90% that he's a bust.

That being said, I agree. I think JJ is talented, but he needs find some offense to make a real impression or he'll struggle to make it as a 3C. I believe he will find it, eventually.

I mean, this is also what we liked to tell ourselves about Teddy, but I'm 90% that he's a bust.

That being said, I agree. I think JJ is talented, but he needs find some offense to make a real impression or he'll struggle to make it as a 3C. I believe he will find it, eventually.

Tedenby has nice hands, that's pretty much it.

Josefson has good vision, is a decent skater and is very proficient defensively for his age. Even if his offensive game never develops he can still be a 25-35 pt 3C

Edited by SMantzas

Tedenby has nice hands, that's pretty much it.

Josefson has good vision, is a decent skater and is very proficient defensively for his age. Even if his offensive game never develops he can still be a 25-35 pt 3C

I agree, 100%. So far he hasn't even found that offense, but like I said, I believe he will. It's just frustrating, I can't imagine how much so it must be for him, to see him score so sporadically. I see the plays he makes, he's smart, but the offense just hasn't come.

Hopefully he can mature this year and he might make the roster. I can see him being a player scratched one night, then playing the next night type deal. He definitely has the potential, but like i always say, so does teddy. Not trying to start another teddy-JJ argument because they get nowhere. But they both got 1 year deals for about the same money, and both are RFA at the end of the year. It will be interesting to see how they do this year. Hopefully teddy gets a decent shot up here this year unlike last year. I mean i'm really excited we signed Olesz this year because he obviously has potential. He really reminds me of Tedenby at an older age. Everyone knows what he could be, it's just a matter of actually tapping into his full potential. It's the same with JJ. He can be so quick and shifty at times, but doesn't play a complete game in the sense that he just can't shoot. And lets not kid ourselves, JJ has never had even 1 moment where we were like WOW what a great defensive play, way to sacrifice the body, or what a great stick check. He's average at best defensively and very above average at skating and dangling. That's Josefson. Perfect deal for the player. The same goes for teddy and loktionov. 

Hopefully he can mature this year and he might make the roster. I can see him being a player scratched one night, then playing the next night type deal. He definitely has the potential, but like i always say, so does teddy. Not trying to start another teddy-JJ argument because they get nowhere. But they both got 1 year deals for about the same money, and both are RFA at the end of the year. It will be interesting to see how they do this year. Hopefully teddy gets a decent shot up here this year unlike last year. I mean i'm really excited we signed Olesz this year because he obviously has potential. He really reminds me of Tedenby at an older age. Everyone knows what he could be, it's just a matter of actually tapping into his full potential. It's the same with JJ. He can be so quick and shifty at times, but doesn't play a complete game in the sense that he just can't shoot. And lets not kid ourselves, JJ has never had even 1 moment where we were like WOW what a great defensive play, way to sacrifice the body, or what a great stick check. He's average at best defensively and very above average at skating and dangling. That's Josefson. Perfect deal for the player. The same goes for teddy and loktionov. 

Someone who sacrifices the body frequently or makes great stick checks frequently is probably not a great defensive player, because it means he is out of position often.

If you ever talked to JJ, you know how meek and timid he comes across when speaking. I understand the whole young Euro perspective, but he needs to have some level of cockiness. I have been around all sorts of professional and collegiate hockey players, and the one's that have that chip are always the guys that buried the puck. He just needs that confidence/swagger.

Someone who sacrifices the body frequently or makes great stick checks frequently is probably not a great defensive player, because it means he is out of position often.

....yeah no thats not how it works. I guess that means Callahan and Datsyuk are bad defensive players. Stop it. Josefson is average at best defensively.

....yeah no thats not how it works. I guess that means Callahan and Datsyuk are bad defensive players. Stop it. Josefson is average at best defensively.

I don't think Callahan is a great defensive player.  I don't think people whose default is to go down to block a shot are great.  Datsyuk obviously, but you're talking about someone who is really skilled at nabbing the puck away (a move I've seen Josefson pull at least once).   Defense in the NHL typically isn't flashy.

If you ever talked to JJ, you know how meek and timid he comes across when speaking. I understand the whole young Euro perspective, but he needs to have some level of cockiness. I have been around all sorts of professional and collegiate hockey players, and the one's that have that chip are always the guys that buried the puck. He just needs that confidence/swagger.

I know what you're saying, but a lot of the Swedish kids (Larsson included) are like that; despite their pretty good English, they do have a language barrier, more mentally than anything else. But hell, a lot of New Jersey Devils are softspoken and quiet like that, even our captain. I feel like Lou doesn't go after the cocky/swagger types. Marty and Carter seem like the only ones that conduct themselves in interviews with that kind of confidence and personality., Zubrus too but in a different way.

I don't think Callahan is a great defensive player.  I don't think people whose default is to go down to block a shot are great.  Datsyuk obviously, but you're talking about someone who is really skilled at nabbing the puck away (a move I've seen Josefson pull at least once).   Defense in the NHL typically isn't flashy.

Agree. Aside from McDonaugh, when you watch the Rangers (and Callahan is indeed one of the best examples), their defense is eternally out of position. Any team that's done its homework knows to fake the shot or force a couple extra passes and you'll have half their team laying on the ice screening Lundqvist, or even deflecting the shot causing a goal. They were somehow lucky with it two years ago, but last year it was exposed to be the crappy "system" it really was, didn't get them real far.

I'm a bit nervous that with the departure of Tortorella, their new coach might actually employ something more coherent planned for their defensive system. We'll see whether or not the Rangers defensemen (like Stralman or Girardi or MDZ) are actually good (or were only effective as meathead grunts in the shotblocking "system").

Edited by DJ Eco

JJ is missing a tooth now, he's officially a hockey player. He's going to have a good year.

I know what you're saying, but a lot of the Swedish kids (Larsson included) are like that; despite their pretty good English, they do have a language barrier, more mentally than anything else. But hell, a lot of New Jersey Devils are softspoken and quiet like that, even our captain. I feel like Lou doesn't go after the cocky/swagger types. Marty and Carter seem like the only ones that conduct themselves in interviews with that kind of confidence and personality., Zubrus too but in a different way.

Hockey players in general are considered much more soft spoken and quiet when compared to other athletes. It's not a sport where you can be much of a loud mouth without getting a stick to the chops. I feel like there's a lot more respect amongst hockey players. I always think back to Avery waving the stick in Marty's face on the PP and his own team mate Drury telling him to knock it off. 

Hockey players in general are considered much more soft spoken and quiet when compared to other athletes. It's not a sport where you can be much of a loud mouth without getting a stick to the chops. I feel like there's a lot more respect amongst hockey players. I always think back to Avery waving the stick in Marty's face on the PP and his own team mate Drury telling him to knock it off. 

Agreed, but the good ones carry themselves with a certain quiet confidence -- they can swagger without bragging. The best examples from the Devils are Stevens and Elias. They rarely talk about how good they are, but when they talk, you know they believe how good they are. JJ needs to get that confidence.

Agreed, but the good ones carry themselves with a certain quiet confidence -- they can swagger without bragging. The best examples from the Devils are Stevens and Elias. They rarely talk about how good they are, but when they talk, you know they believe how good they are. JJ needs to get that confidence.

Absolutely. "You're next" was one of the most threatening lines in hockey, and it was because Stevens didn't need to say anything else. Elias is very respected around the league. I think it was Mike Richards who said his welcome to the league moment was when he was running around like a jerk early in his career and Elias told him no one would respect him like if he played that way. It may have been Jeff Carter. I can't find the quote. 

Edited by Devil Dan 56