Lou: Change of Ownership Imminent

Derlique

I like Vanderbeek, I really do.  He seems like a fan of the team.

But you shouldn't buy a Lambo if you can't afford the maintenance.  I hope the next owner of this team has deep, deep pockets, and keeps NJ's (the team and state) best interests in mind.

Edited by Devilsfan118

Good little interview

Interesting that Lou asked Kovi if he wanted to be traded and Kovi said no, I just want to play in Russia (I know thats off topic)

Of course he asked that. No way you let him walk away from the team without at least checking if we can not get screwed by it.

Yeah, I got a feeling this will be forgotten in a month.

If Vanderbeek is bouncing player checks, he's got to be gone sometime soon.  It was reported in late June, Lou's saying it - seems like it is going to happen.

Also re trading Kovalchuk - even if they had managed to do that, I cannot see how that would leave NJ in better shape than they're in now.

If Vanderbeek is bouncing player checks, he's got to be gone sometime soon.  It was reported in late June, Lou's saying it - seems like it is going to happen.

Also re trading Kovalchuk - even if they had managed to do that, I cannot see how that would leave NJ in better shape than they're in now.

we could have traded Kovi for a goalie and kept that #9 pick

we could have traded Kovi for a goalie and kept that #9 pick

Who was taking on a 12 year, $77M contract that carries significant penalties when Kovalchuk retires?  Maybe the Devils could've traded Kovalchuk and picked up some of his salary for Roberto Luongo, but it's unlikely there's another goalie that NJ could've dealt for.

Who was taking on a 12 year, $77M contract that carries significant penalties when Kovalchuk retires?  Maybe the Devils could've traded Kovalchuk and picked up some of his salary for Roberto Luongo, but it's unlikely there's another goalie that NJ could've dealt for.

Doesn't the penalty go back to us (the team that signed him to the contract) though?

But agreed, it's still a hard contract and actual salary to trade.

I'll bet a little of the financial situation bled into kovy's decision to leave. His contract strapped the Devil's. Maybe he felt guilty?  (because of my contract we can't bring back Clarkie/Zach) But I don't think it handcuffed lou.  Lou put's a limit on everyone that comes up as UFA. He wasn't about to pay Clarkie what he thought he was worth. (and length of time as well)

read your post:

you said "even if they had managed to do that, I cannot see how that would leave NJ in better shape than they're in now."

make up your mind

read your post:

you said "even if they had managed to do that, I cannot see how that would leave NJ in better shape than they're in now."

make up your mind

Better shape financially. There's no way Kovalchuk could have been traded without the Devils taking back some sort of large contract.

Surprised with the Vanderbeek hate.

He risked his personal finances to keep the Devils in NJ. Hope my hometown has someone like that when our OHL team comes up for sale.

I have to agree...I'm a bit surprised too, he was a season ticket holder who had the financial system to create another big step for the Devils franchise. I know from my own experiences that owning a "small business" is no easy task and can't even imagine the complexity of taking on something as large as a sports franchise.

Sent from my Galaxy TAB using Tapatalk 2

Edited by Devlin

I don't hate JVB, but I want him out as soon as possible. I admire that he's a big Devils fan and he did a lot for the team, keeping them in NJ but when your team is constantly dealing with reports of bankruptcy, missing payment, not being able to sign players it's time for someone new. I wish him the best and maybe he can still be a minority share holder, but for the good of the organization and the sanity of the fans we need an owner with money.

read your post:

make up your mind

How would that leave NJ in better shape?  Luongo is owed a ton of money and is old, and his contract would also carry penalties if he retired early.  Not to mention both guys have NTCs and would have to agree to the deal.

aylbert:  You get charged cap recapture based on how long you had the player and how much you got a benefit from his salary being above the cap hit.  So NJ would've taken the dead cap hit they have now.

He's not bouncing player checks because no one would sign with them.   And if he was bouncing player checks, he'd be done and the league would have the reins.   And the league wouldn't be paying that kind of money.    Obviously the debt situation is very real, but I wouldn't be surprised of some of the negative "press" that JVB gets is for some petty reason.   Look at the two key sources of it and connect the dots.