Feel-Good Story About Minnesota

ATLL765

Wait, you mean to tell me the Mecca of US Hockey is losing money?!

Edit:  Wow that is a huge .gif.  Nevermind.

---

But yeah, I wonder how Suter and Parise feel, knowing their signing bonuses are pushing the Wild far into the red.  Interesting rumor.

Edited by Devilsfan118

It’s always been mind-blowing to think that the Minnesota Wild – sold-out main attraction in THE STATE OF HOCKEY – could be an annual money-losing franchise. Granted, missing the Stanley Cup Playoffs doesn’t exactly fill the coffers, but this is like cultivating the richest soil on the farm and only being able to grow dandelions.

The losses haven’t been massive in past years, but columnist Charlie Walters of the Pioneer Pressreported on Sunday that the Wild ran up a significant debt in the 2012-13 lockout shortened NHL season, even as a playoff team.

From the Press:

A little birdie says the Wild lost $30 million during their abbreviated 2012-13 season, and a cash call was made to team investors in February. The Wild paid bonuses totaling $20 million to sign free agents 
Zach Parise
 and 
Ryan Suter

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nhl-puck-daddy/minnesota-wild-lost-30-million-last-season-lockout-155615565.html

It’s always been mind-blowing to think that the Minnesota Wild – sold-out main attraction in THE STATE OF HOCKEY – could be an annual money-losing franchise. Granted, missing the Stanley Cup Playoffs doesn’t exactly fill the coffers, but this is like cultivating the richest soil on the farm and only being able to grow dandelions.

The losses haven’t been massive in past years, but columnist Charlie Walters of the Pioneer Pressreported on Sunday that the Wild ran up a significant debt in the 2012-13 lockout shortened NHL season, even as a playoff team.

From the Press:

A little birdie says the Wild lost $30 million during their abbreviated 2012-13 season, and a cash call was made to team investors in February. The Wild paid bonuses totaling $20 million to sign free agents 
 and 

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nhl-puck-daddy/minnesota-wild-lost-30-million-last-season-lockout-155615565.html

I think my thread title mislead you, but I beat you to the punch on this one. You have a lot more links though and clearly put a wee bit more effort than I did, lol.

Edited by ATLL765

Wait, you mean to tell me the Mecca of US Hockey is losing money?!

Edit:  Wow that is a huge .gif.  Nevermind.

---

But yeah, I wonder how Suter and Parise feel, knowing their signing bonuses are pushing the Wild far into the red.  Interesting rumor.

They feel exactly how I'd feel: Amazing, because I'd now have tons of cash.

I'm just glad this is biting Minn in the ass. Ridiculous contract with silly up-front money.

Edited by ATLL765

With Kovy gone the Devils do not have a ridiculous contract like that on their books anymore.  Just be thankful for that and use this story as exhibit A when you are upset that Parise and then Kovy left.

why should we care about the money spent as fans? it's not our money its some rich ass money. What i care about is the on ice success and losing Parise and Kovalchuk is a big blow and im certainly not thinking... oh well hey! at least were not spending too much money :D

Edited by SterioDesign

why should we care about the money spent as fans? it's not our money its some rich ass money. What i care about is the on ice success and losing Parise and Kovalchuk is a big blow and im certainly not thinking... oh well hey! at least were not spending too much money :D

But we now have financial and cap flexibility moving forward that the Wild and many other teams don't.

And part of the reason why we lost Parise was JVB forced Lou to monkey around with Kovy's massive contract for an entire summer rather than focusing on signing Zach to a contract extension.

Now that the Devils are devoid of these future albatross contracts the Devils have flexibility to put a better team on the ice if need-be.  This is why I care about the Devils not having these contracts on the books.  I don't and probably will not have minded Kovy's contract for the next couple of more years if he had stayed, but after that and when he breaks down that cap hit is going to be a hard thing to swallow and if he retired later on we would have have a nice cap recapture penalty as well.  Team doesn't need that.

Two years from now it would be interesting if Zach was a salary cap dump banished to Edmonton.

Interesting, and sad.  I really would hate to see a player of Zach's character (I mean, I don't think he's a clueless piece of sh!t like I do/did Gomez) go that route.

I live in Minneapolis now and the smile on my face can't be any bigger right now. After dealing with my friends sending me article after article gloating about Parise jumping ship for the Wild, I can't wait to hit the forward button today. I'm normally not a bitter guy but I wouldn't mind if Parise doesn't make the playoffs for 10 straight years.

And part of the reason why we lost Parise was JVB forced Lou to monkey around with Kovy's massive contract for an entire summer rather than focusing on signing Zach to a contract extension.

I respectfully disagree. We gave him a very respectable $6m during RFA to avoid arbitration and I have no doubt in my mind Lou offered him a more a lucrative deal than Kovalchuk's. He wanted to go back to Minny with his buttpal and it just so happened that his agent was able to pull a miracle deal so that everyone was happy. If you think Parise (franchise player #1) was butthurt about Kovalchuk getting attention and a big contract, and that's the only reason he jumped ship, that's just completely ridiculous; like no team has ever offered 2, 3, 4 mega contracts to players on their teams without them all getting jealous?

Edited by DJ Eco

I respectfully disagree. We gave him a very respectable $6m during RFA to avoid arbitration and I have no doubt in my mind Lou offered him a more a lucrative deal than Kovalchuk's. He wanted to go back to Minny with his buttpal and it just so happened that his agent was able to pull a miracle deal so that everyone was happy. If you think Parise (franchise player #1) was butthurt about Kovalchuk getting attention and a big contract, and that's the only reason he jumped ship, that's just completely ridiculous; like no team has ever offered 2, 3, 4 mega contracts to players on their teams without them all getting jealous?

Thing is the Devils can't afford 2 mega contracts let alone one given that JVB's financial situation gets more dire with every passing month.

I know Lou did everything he could to have Parise stay but I doubt he could have afforded or offered one to him that was more lucractive than Kovy's.  Devils and Jeff simply can't and couldn't have afforded it.  I do however agree that Parise wanted to go to Minny with his bitch boy Suter and since that was his home state that sealed the deal.

I never mentioned in my post it is because Parise was jealous of the Kovy getting the attention, I just feel like Lou's attention was spent far too much that summer on Kovy's contract mess when some of it should have at least gone to Parise and see if there was anything that could have been worked out then.

There's no way Lou offered Parise $100 million when the team was supposedly broke. Unless by more lucrative you mean a higher cap number. That I don't doubt but there was no way Zach was getting Kovy money here.

I'm willing to believe it was pretty close to that, maybe $85 to $95 million. The difference likely was that there were no bonuses, and it might have been spread out longer without having a lot of $12 million years.

The total dollar figure, absent the front loading schenaigans is somewhat of a red herring if you're talking about the Devils financial situation. There is still a salary cap and floor, so it's just a matter if you want to spend that money somewhere else. But, for the most part, it has to go somewhere.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

I know for a fact the offer was no where close to the 98 million Minnesota offered. The night Lou met with Zach in Toronto, he thought he and Zach had an agreement. Zach then was ready to sign back with NJ and his agent went back to the Wild and they upped their offer to the 13/98. Zach then came back to Lou with the Wild's 13/98 million dollar offer and Lou did not make a counter offer because he knew he couldn't make an offer that would either match/come close to or beat the Wild offer. The final offer that Lou made and thought Zach had agreed to was 12/84 million or 7 million per year. This is coming from a very good source, someone who is very involved in the Devils front office. If you don't want to believe me so be it, but that's how everything went down. 

Edited by brodeur14301991

I know for a fact the offer was no where close to the 100 million Minnesota offered. The night Lou met with Zach in Toronto, he thought he and Zach had an agreement. Zach then was ready to sign back with NJ and his agent went back to the Wild and they upped their offer to the 15/100. Zach then came back to Lou with the Wild's 15/100 million dollar offer and Lou did not make a counter offer because he knew he couldn't make an offer that would either match/come close to or beat the Wild offer. The final offer that Lou made and thought Zach had agreed to was 12/84 million or 7 million per year. This is coming from a very good source, someone who is very involved in the Devils front office. If you don't want to believe me so be it, but that's how everything went down.

The fact that you didn't get the wild offer/contract with parise right makes me not believe this story. Zach signed for 13 years and $98 million