Fox 29 Philadelphia Confirm Devils sold to Josh Harris

trailblazer

Eskin is pretty plugged in to the Philly scene.  He's a major douche, but he is pretty reliable.  I am hearing rumblings that Harris wants to move the Devils and 76ers to Seattle.

Tell me exactly where you are hearing those rumblings?

I'd love to know how this might/would affect any potential NBA team at the Rock. Not that the 76ers would move up the Turnpike, I couldn't imagine that - but as owner of an NBA team in a different city than an arena he'd own too - is that a conflict of interest?

I think the future of the Rock is certainly viable as a single-tenant, but I think any owner would certainly like to have a basketball team in there as well. I know Shaq showed minimal interest back in the day, maybe this guy who got Will and Jada Smith into a minority stake could somehow put together a group to get a bball team in there. Again, I know nothing about the health of the NBA franchises, is there any chance of a possible move?

I think it was interesting in terms of concerts/bands couldn't be booked too much recently, because of the inability to put a down payment for the act. I'm not sure if that was sourced, but it seemed to make sense.

I'd love to know how this might/would affect any potential NBA team at the Rock. Not that the 76ers would move up the Turnpike, I couldn't imagine that - but as owner of an NBA team in a different city than an arena he'd own too - is that a conflict of interest?

I think the future of the Rock is certainly viable as a single-tenant, but I think any owner would certainly like to have a basketball team in there as well. I know Shaq showed minimal interest back in the day, maybe this guy who got Will and Jada Smith into a minority stake could somehow put together a group to get a bball team in there. Again, I know nothing about the health of the NBA franchises, is there any chance of a possible move?

I think it was interesting in terms of concerts/bands couldn't be booked too much recently, because of the inability to put a down payment for the act. I'm not sure if that was sourced, but it seemed to make sense.

I don't follow the NBA that closely but it seems unlikely that anyone would want a 3rd basketball team in the NY area.  Yes, I realize there are 3 NHL teams in the area. The difficulty with basketball is that the league has 6 or 7 powerful franchises and 10 teams who are constantly sucking hind tit, and in an area with so much basketball, this would leave either the Nets or the NJ team constantly on the outside.  With the Nets and Islanders in Barclays next season, that should open up other acts to use the Prudential Center.

Tom Gulitti ‏@TGfireandice 26s

Told by multiple sources that deal for 76ers group, headed by Josh Harris, to purchase Devils is not "done", but headed that way.

Tom Gulitti ‏@TGfireandice 24s

Source said purchase price of Devils was established for weeks & never an issue with bidders, but a lot of moving parts still involved.

Just repeating what I heard from some people in the advertising business.  

So multiple people, in the advertising business...have knowledge that the Devils and 76ers are pulling an unprecedented double move to Seattle by a guy buying the team...who works in equity management

That's like Nabisco knowing who the Jets starting QB will be in week 1.

Edited by '7'

So multiple people, in the advertising business...have knowledge that the Devils and 76ers are pulling an unprecedented double move to Seattle by a guy buying the team...who works in equity management

It's more like Nabisco knowing who the Jets' QB will be in week 7 in 2015 

So multiple people, in the advertising business...have knowledge that the Devils and 76ers are pulling an unprecedented double move to Seattle by a guy buying the team...who works in equity management (who may or may not be buying the team)

Just adding that in because it's not even like it's done yet.  lol.

That, might quite literally be the worst sourcing of a rumor I've ever heard.   And they afterwards the "your" "you're" thing by the poster.  I'm sold, Devils are moving to Seattle.   Seattle Walruses ahoy

Just adding that in because it's not even like it's done yet.  lol.

That, might quite literally be the worst sourcing of a rumor I've ever heard.   And they afterwards the "your" "you're" thing by the poster.  I'm sold, Devils are moving to Seattle.   Seattle Walruses ahoy

Dunno your source but I heard they will be called the Seattle Operating Systems, an unsubtle nod to Microsoft - could they buy the naming rights to the arena?  You heard it here first...

If he bought the debt as reported (leaving JVB stiffed), $250M or thereabouts.   If he bought everything, alot more.

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/report-76ers-offer-job-spurs-010503611--nba.html

Though a purchase price - near $300 million, the person said - appears to be set, there are still several factors to iron out between Devils owner Jeff Vanderbeek and Harris. The person expects the agreement to be in place sometime early next week and be finalized with the league in time for the NHL opener in October.

The deal would create some more interest in the long-running rivalry between the Devils and the Philadelphia Flyers, who play in the same building - the Wells Fargo Center - as Harris' 76ers. The agreement with the Devils would include operating rights to the Prudential Center in Newark, which opened in 2007 and housed the Stanley Cup Finals in 2012, as well as the NHL Draft in June.

Just repeating what I heard from some people in the advertising business.  

Right.

Someone's cranky, I guess mom made you turn of the video games to take out the trash.

It's OK, just try and get out before your 30.

:rolleyes:

Listen, don't come here and post controversial bullsh!t, and then get offended when someone (or multiple people, in this case) call(s) you out on it. 

Edited by Devilsfan118
  • Like 2

Someone's cranky, I guess mom made you turn of the video games to take out the trash.

It's OK, just try and get out before your 30.

Nothing changes when you move out... your wife just tells you to take out the trash or watch the kid.  :P

FWIW, the 76ers are currently 29th in the NBA in player salaries, but they just began a 'rebuild' - which in the NBA means basically tanking.

They'll be a bunch of teams tanking in the NBA next year. This Andrew Wiggins kid is supposedly the best prospect since Lebron.

Not surprised to see Vanderbeek keep a minority stake, but he's essentially out of the picture as far as management/operations and while I'm grateful for his desire to keep the Devils in Jersey and the whole Newark arena thing, the former is probably a good thing. Wouldn't even be surprised if his financial "stake" is of the 3-5% percent variety to try and recoup some money and then dump the remaining stake when things turn around.. 

I do wonder what the ownership change will have down the line here in terms of GM succession and other front office changes/transitions here over the next year or two.

FWIW, the 76ers are currently 29th in the NBA in player salaries, but they just began a 'rebuild' - which in the NBA means basically tanking.

They just let their most expensive player go, but he didn't play a game last year, and has been hurt for most of his career, and in a bad free agent year, they couldn't replace him, hence tanking. They've actually made some good personnel moves for the long term (not just tanking).