Game 6 2000 Finals

MadDog2020

I was at Bar A...next to a Flyer fan no less..he was a friend of mine who had had plenty to say after his team had taken a 3-1 series lead...he practically had his SC tickets printed and in his hand (admittedly, I wasn't feeling great about the Devils' chances myself, but he had his Flyers in the Cup Finals the second Game 4 came to a close).

And to this day, he STILL whines about Stevens' hit on Lindros.  Awesome.  Whine away fvcker!

• Like 1

I was at Bar A...next to a Flyer fan no less..he was a friend of mine who had had plenty to say after his team had taken a 3-1 series lead...he practically had his SC tickets printed and in his hand (admittedly, I wasn't feeling great about the Devils' chances myself, but he had his Flyers in the Cup Finals the second Game 4 came to a close).

And to this day, he STILL whines about Stevens' hit on Lindros. Awesome. Whine away fvcker!

Phailures fans are hilarious when it comes to Stevens. If Stevens played for the Phailures, he'd be beloved on the same level as Bobby Clarke. How ironic that the fans of the biggest scumbag team in the league bitch and moan about Stevens being 'dirty'. They'd name a street after him if he played in Philly. Edited by MadDog2020

Game 6 2000 is such a haze for me. I remember the Hatcher hit and Arnott's dumb penalty. I don't think about it too much, but I so badly wish the Devils won game 5. Still think that is the greatest hockey game I have ever seen as a Devils fan. I remember when it ended, not even being upset. I knew this team was winning the Cup. 

But Game 5, I remember every detail, and it is crazy how many chances the Devils had to win in OT. It had everything including the "WTF, after all that...that's how the game is going to end" goal. Gary Thorne gets a lot of flack here, but he was outstanding calling this game.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ttKavuGjiVo&list=PLB03086973AB058ED&index=170

Edited by devilsrule33

DR, game 5 was the greatest goaltending duel I've ever seen, bar none. If you want to learn how to play goal, turn on the tape of game 5 and watch two HOF'ers go at it, save for save. Just amazing. Even though we lost, it was one of the best games I have ever attended. I remember Sarge was literally inches away from winning it- he shoveled the puck to the front, it slid along the ice, hit the post, and was cleared away quickly. 19,040 people all lept out of their seats in unison only to have it be one of those 'hands over face, how did that not go in' moments.

they have the ducks/red wings on now from may, '97. when NHL was on Fox. ah, the cartoon robot sequences after a goal, and the Glow Puck

Just found this one of us from 95

I remember this gem... silly intro but love stealing the cup from the Rangers and bringing it to  (ugh) Brendan Byrne Arena

Edited by Legion15

I remember this game, I was in section 107 row 20 seat 13. A friend had a connection two games a year for season tix and was also able to get tickets for this one. Still got the ticket somewhere. Remember Michael J Fox was there that night and the row behind us at the other end was Cindy Lauper...was wondering why people kept getting up and going over to talk this short lady with white hair and green and pink streaks...

3OT went til 1am, and Marty lets in a innocent one in off the boards. ugh! I had to see the 2OT winner from the Seaside Boardwalk where everyone crowded around a game that had TVs as a prize.

Will we ever get another? 95-00-03

in 10 years we have been to the dance once.

New owners hopefully they will get us a cup.

To be fair, they had 13 years between coming to Jersey and winning that first one.

If we've learned anything from 88, 94, 95, 00, 03, and 12, it's that you never expect these runs until they happen. I think that's whats so great about them. It's why 95 will always be my favorite. 

To be fair, they had 13 years between coming to Jersey and winning that first one.

If we've learned anything from 88, 94, 95, 00, 03, and 12, it's that you never expect these runs until they happen. I think that's whats so great about them. It's why 95 will always be my favorite. 

Once '94 and '95 happened, the expectations started to go up...if you think about it, much more was expected from the '97, '98 and '99 Devils, from a playoff standpoint (and we know how '96 went).  I've mentioned this before, but '95 was so weird because the Devils played much of that regular season looking like the '96 team, then suddenly became the '94 team again with the start of the playoffs.  If you take '00 by itself, considering how that team entered the playoffs, it was kind of hard to see that run coming.  '01 almost felt pre-ordained, in that anything less than a Cup final was going to feel like failure.  '03 was one of those seasons where it didn't come as a total surprise...the '03 team wasn't awesome, but neither was anyone they played against, really.   

Agree, '95 felt the most "magical".  Capping off the run by sweeping the RED WINGS?!  The funny thing about that was I remember the Red Wings' responses as the Devils kept winning...first it was a collective "It's just one game, we'll bounce back" to "We've got our work cut out for us" to just a stunned "How is this happening?"  You could just see that they were so defeated and bewildered, pretty much to a player.    

Once '94 and '95 happened, the expectations started to go up...if you think about it, much more was expected from the '97, '98 and '99 Devils, from a playoff standpoint (and we know how '96 went).  I've mentioned this before, but '95 was so weird because the Devils played much of that regular season looking like the '96 team, then suddenly became the '94 team again with the start of the playoffs.  If you take '00 by itself, considering how that team entered the playoffs, it was kind of hard to see that run coming.  '01 almost felt pre-ordained, in that anything less than a Cup final was going to feel like failure.  '03 was one of those seasons where it didn't come as a total surprise...the '03 team wasn't awesome, but neither was anyone they played against, really.   

Agree, '95 felt the most "magical".  Capping off the run by sweeping the RED WINGS?!  The funny thing about that was I remember the Red Wings' responses as the Devils kept winning...first it was a collective "It's just one game, we'll bounce back" to "We've got our work cut out for us" to just a stunned "How is this happening?"  You could just see that they were so defeated and bewildered, pretty much to a player.    

Absolutely, 95 was incredible. I had a lot of similar feelings in the 2012 run, that whole "how did we pull that off??" It was so incredible, the finals loss seriously didn't bother me. I felt like it was house money at that point.

Absolutely, 95 was incredible. I had a lot of similar feelings in the 2012 run, that whole "how did we pull that off??" It was so incredible, the finals loss seriously didn't bother me. I felt like it was house money at that point.

Same for me re: 2012...I thought they were going to lose to the Flyers in five, and that the series would look much like Game 1 of that series.  When they friggin' BEAT them in five...and then beat the Rangers in six...yeah, I was disappointed that they lost to the Kings in six, but like you said, after those first three rounds, I couldn't have been more proud of that team...I really wasn't that mad that they had lost (I was SO pissed in 2001). 

Funny thing about 2000 was that I was in full "Randy Quaid, Major League 2" mode before the playoffs.  I had no confidence in them at all...not after the '97, '98, and '99 disappointments, and the way the '00 team went into the playoffs...I thought the Panthers were going to sweep them right out of the first round, I really did.  I went to Game 2, and the Devils were trailing 1-0 after one period, and even though the Devils had won Game 1, it felt like everyone at the game was waiting for something to go horribly wrong...and when the Devils were facing a 5-on-3, it was like "Here it comes"...then Niedermayer scores on 3-on-5 shorthander to tie it up, the Devils win 2-1, and it was like everyone could start to exhale...until the Devils trailed 3-1 in the Conference Finals. 

Same for me re: 2012...I thought they were going to lose to the Flyers in five, and that the series would look much like Game 1 of that series.  When they friggin' BEAT them in five...and then beat the Rangers in six...yeah, I was disappointed that they lost to the Kings in six, but like you said, after those first three rounds, I couldn't have been more proud of that team...I really wasn't that mad that they had lost (I was SO pissed in 2001). 

Funny thing about 2000 was that I was in full "Randy Quaid, Major League 2" mode before the playoffs.  I had no confidence in them at all...not after the '97, '98, and '99 disappointments, and the way the '00 team went into the playoffs...I thought the Panthers were going to sweep them right out of the first round, I really did.  I went to Game 2, and the Devils were trailing 1-0 after one period, and even though the Devils had won Game 1, it felt like everyone at the game was waiting for something to go horribly wrong...and when the Devils were facing a 5-on-3, it was like "Here it comes"...then Niedermayer scores on 3-on-5 shorthander to tie it up, the Devils win 2-1, and it was like everyone could start to exhale...until the Devils trailed 3-1 in the Conference Finals. 

Yeah I was at game 2 of the Florida series as well in 2000 and when Nieds scored on the 2-man disadvantage, the place went nuts. You're right, we were waiting for the other shoe to drop that night because of what had happened the previous 4 years, but that goal might've been the most underrated goal of the entire run because it turned that series completely in the Devils' favor. And if I remember correctly, Nieds had returned that night from the Worrell suspension, adding to the awesomeness of that goal.

Well said regarding 2000. With the way 96-99 had gone, I think we were all waiting for the heartbreak. Once they dumped Philly and dominated Game 1 of the finals, it felt possible. When Eddie Belfour bounced back in game 2, I got nervous all over again haha.

But man, when people say Marty was never a big factor in a Cup run, I always point to this series. Dallas scored only one goal in games 3,4,5, and 6. Games 5 and 6 are two of the most entertaining goalie duels in finals history.

Yeah I was at game 2 of the Florida series as well in 2000 and when Nieds scored on the 2-man disadvantage, the place went nuts. You're right, we were waiting for the other shoe to drop that night because of what had happened the previous 4 years, but that goal might've been the most underrated goal of the entire run because it turned that series completely in the Devils' favor. And if I remember correctly, Nieds had returned that night from the Worrell suspension, adding to the awesomeness of that goal.

Yeah, something about Niedermayer's goal just seemed to get them going...at least for a while. 

In 2001, it went the other way...the Devils jumped out to that 3-0 series lead against the 'Canes, then needed three more games to win the series.  They just seemed to lose something after that...even when they took down the Penguins in 5 games in the Conference Finals. 

Well said regarding 2000. With the way 96-99 had gone, I think we were all waiting for the heartbreak. Once they dumped Philly and dominated Game 1 of the finals, it felt possible. When Eddie Belfour bounced back in game 2, I got nervous all over again haha.

But man, when people say Marty was never a big factor in a Cup run, I always point to this series. Dallas scored only one goal in games 3,4,5, and 6. Games 5 and 6 are two of the most entertaining goalie duels in finals history.

That Game 1 was unbelievable.  When Sykora buried that "FU!" goal (that's really what it felt like to me) to make it 6-1, I couldn't believe what I was watching.  I know Eddie had an awful game that night (both Daneyko's and Stevens' goals would've been stopped by him most other nights), but I'll never forget the looks on the faces of the Stars when Elias and Sykora had that ridiculous goal that made it 3-1...the Stars players looked like they were thinking "Holy crap, these guys are really REALLY good, we can't keep up with them...who ARE these guys?!", almost to a player.

Yeah, Marty really slammed the door.  He only gave up 9 goals that entire series, and two of them couldn't have been more meaningless...the Devils kind of had a bit of a lull after taking a 7-1 lead in Game 1, before winning 7-3. 

There was a total of 14 goals scored between the two teams COMBINED from Games 2-6...suffice it to say goals were really hard to come by.  Marty needed to be every bit as good as he was. 

Yeah, something about Niedermayer's goal just seemed to get them going...at least for a while. 

In 2001, it went the other way...the Devils jumped out to that 3-0 series lead against the 'Canes, then needed three more games to win the series.  They just seemed to lose something after that...even when they took down the Penguins in 5 games in the Conference Finals. 

The 01 team will always drive me insane because they were the best team in the history of the franchise imo, but they knew they were really good and sometimes they got a little arrogant I suspect. You saw that type of 'whatever, we got it' kind of attitude in taking Carolina lightly once they got up 3-0. We had to go 7 with the Leafs, and then they did make short work of Pittsburgh... But it's well known they apparently had limos and sh!t ready to go after game 6 of the Finals, like they thought it was a formality. Once the Gomez goal got waved off, they quit, and I will NEVER understand why. 01 I will take with me to my grave, that team should've won the Cup.

The 01 team will always drive me insane because they were the best team in the history of the franchise imo, but they knew they were really good and sometimes they got a little arrogant I suspect. You saw that type of 'whatever, we got it' kind of attitude in taking Carolina lightly once they got up 3-0. We had to go 7 with the Leafs, and then they did make short work of Pittsburgh... But it's well known they apparently had limos and sh!t ready to go after game 6 of the Finals, like they thought it was a formality. Once the Gomez goal got waved off, they quit, and I will NEVER understand why. 01 I will take with me to my grave, that team should've won the Cup.

Few point out that Brodeur really didn't play all that well during that run.  I mean, that Devils team allowed more than 30 shots on goal twice during the playoffs.  They had 13 games where they held the opponent to 20 shots or fewer.  If Brodeur plays .920 hockey that team steamrolls through the playoffs.

As for Brodeur, he's played great in tons of series.  He's just never stolen a series - the Devils have never come in worse than another team and he was the difference.  Part of it is the team he plays for, obviously, NJ hasn't been an underdog in the playoffs all that often.

Edited by Triumph