2014 Draft Thread

thefiestygoat

I don't know. This all sounds par for the course. I'm sure many in the draft if asked would say they should be drafted number 1 overall. It would actually sound strange to hear a player say that so and so should be picked number 1.

Josh Ho-Sang has that personality that i've seen in interviews that makes me feel like i'm going to hate him when he comes to the NHL, I really don't like players that have that sort of cockiness, it's why I don't like Subban

Liking a player and him coming to your team and contributing at a high level are two different things.  Would I take Subban, P. Kane, or E. Kane if I had the option? hell yeah.

I've been rummaging through a lot of scouts or other avid juniors follower who have seen Ho Sang and there isn't much positive to make me think we should take him.

The kid sounds like a cocky sh!t, but I LOVE IT. Fans are so wrapped up in our little hockey world that we forget he's a teenager. It's nothing the Devils can't fix. After all is said and done, I can't see him sliding up to 41, but I'd be thrilled if we grabbed him then. I may even be thrilled if we grabbed him at 30 honestly. Maybe he says things the wrong way but what he says makes sense. He'll really benefit by getting out of Canada and into a place as diverse as New Jersey/New York metro area. Hell, our captain is mixed race.

Onto the hockey end of things, what he also says is correct: imagine if he had some of the linemates that some of the more highly ranked prospects had? Sure, he comes off a bit cocky, but a lot of what he says is spot-on, and cockiness can be tamed and channeled in the right way.

I've been rummaging through a lot of scouts or other avid juniors follower who have seen Ho Sang and there isn't much positive to make me think we should take him.

The first thing I've seen most scouts say is that he may be one of the most highly skilled players this draft. It's his personality they can't seem to get past.

Edited by DJ Eco

if he's athletic and aggressive, i don't see why he wouldn't be a good risk.  as 'Fiesty said, Pronman and Future Considerations both have the kid ranked 20th.  if he slides to maybe our 2nd rounder, id say go for it.

theres a risk he could be annoying to teammates, but that risk can be solved and its also countered by the energy that type of player can bring on the ice

The kid sounds like a cocky sh!t, but I LOVE IT. Fans are so wrapped up in our little hockey world that we forget he's a teenager. It's nothing the Devils can't fix. After all is said and done, I can't see him sliding up to 41, but I'd be thrilled if we grabbed him then. I may even be thrilled if we grabbed him at 30 honestly. Maybe he says things the wrong way but what he says makes sense. He'll really benefit by getting out of Canada and into a place as diverse as New Jersey/New York metro area. Hell, our captain is mixed race.

Onto the hockey end of things, what he also says is correct: imagine if he had some of the linemates that some of the more highly ranked prospects had? Sure, he comes off a bit cocky, but a lot of what he says is spot-on, and cockiness can be tamed and channeled in the right way.

The first thing I've seen most scouts say is that he may be one of the most highly skilled players this draft. It's his personality they can't seem to get past.

I've seen profiles of about 60 players saying the same thing. Ho Sang is flashy with his skills but he's really raw and some of the scouts said he doesn't recognize some of the fundamentals of team play or possession style hockey (acted like a one man line when there was no need to do so). I would pass.

I remember people were saying Ho-Sang was going to go first overall not too long ago. It's funny how things change so quickly, since now people are wondering if he'll even get selected in the first round.

My guess is that someone will take a chance on him before pick #30, because his talent is pretty ridiculous. It's just that the work ethic is questionable, and his maturity (on ice/hockey IQ) is not where it should be at this stage.

Maybe his comments aren't meant to be taken seriously, but he should probably be a top 10 OHL scorer before he starts running his mouth like that. 

If he could learn to be more of a team player, and also develop a better defensive game, I bet he'd be a great pick at 30, or 41 if he makes it there.

Edited by nessus

He has all the qualities many scouts and teams are scared of, but he's just a teenager. He made quite a few good points in the interview, but these old white guys don't want to have him pull out the race card (even if there might be some truth to it).

He thinks a little too highly of his own game, but that doesn't have to be a bad thing either...but it could be. The NHL could definitely use guys like Josh Ho-Sang -- the kind of players that are celebrated in many other sports but frowned upon in the NHL and MLB.

I kind of like the idea of 18 year olds showing some level of maturity and humility, which Ho-Sang clearly lacks at this point. But that's not even so much the issue, as he apparently could care less about playing a complete game. It's not unreasonable to conclude that his massive ego will prevent him from listening to people that know a little bit more about the game than he does. He seems to have the same qualities that turned Zherdev and Filatov into busts. (I'm sure there are Canadians too, those two just came to mind for some reason).

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

i keep reading up on Ho-Sang.  what a crazy scenario he's created for himself.  man, i really think it could go either way for him.  he could pan out to be a top 3 or 5 skater from this draft or he could be in Europe in 4 years. 

i need to see highlights of him though, haven't seen any yet and my work blocks access to youtube.. cant wait to see them though because he sounds electric

I kind of like the idea of 18 year olds showing some level of maturity and humility, which Ho-Sang clearly lacks at this point. But that's not even so much the issue, as he apparently could care less about playing a complete game. It's not unreasonable to conclude that his massive ego will prevent him from listening to people that know a little bit more about the game than he does. He seems to have the same qualities that turned Zherdev and Filatov into busts. (I'm sure there are Canadians too, those two just came to mind for some reason).

Pass. I'll be surprised if he ever gets to the A.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p3VrzVxSBC0&feature=kp

I'd be pretty stoked with a lot of players that could be available at 30.  Ho-sang would be a great pick up.  Plenty of natural talent, great hands, looks as if he has good foot speed, he drives the net, can play in every area of the offensive zone. 

Pass. I'll be surprised if he ever gets to the A.

Please.  What's your basis for this?  You can't write off talent because of huge ego. 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p3VrzVxSBC0&feature=kp

I'd be pretty stoked with a lot of players that could be available at 30. Ho-sang would be a great pick up. Plenty of natural talent, great hands, looks as if he has good foot speed, he drives the net, can play in every area of the offensive zone.

Please. What's your basis for this? You can't write off talent because of huge ego.

Did you read the article? The author made a very good point about conformity. For better or worse, the personality the kid has developed is not one that will be changed, unfortunately for him, despite all his "dangling", he is entering a network of professionals that will not tolerate anything even close to what is being displayed. He made a majority of the teams do not draft list. If the scouts are doing that then coaches, GM's, owners, etc, surely are going to be a barrier to entry. Not to mention he lacks a team game mentality, I can tell you now, that he doesn't understand the game...at all.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk

Did you read the article? The author made a very good point about conformity. For better or worse, the personality the kid has developed is not one that will be changed, unfortunately for him, despite all his "dangling", he is entering a network of professionals that will not tolerate anything even close to what is being displayed. He made a majority of the teams do not draft list. If the scouts are doing that then coaches, GM's, owners, etc, surely are going to be a barrier to entry. Not to mention he lacks a team game mentality, I can tell you now, that he doesn't understand the game...at all.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk

What? Speaking your mind is not necessarily being unprofessional.  If he doesn't make the NHL because he's not skilled enough, fast enough, whatever, that's completely asinine.  He's 18 years old, do you remember being 18?  Anthony DeAngelo made homophobic slurs and he may drop, that doesn't mean he'll never make it to the NHL.  Do you want a homophobe skating around the ice calling everybody a queer/f-word?  NO of course not, it's enough to make them fall in the draft, but teams will draft on talent alone.  Did YOU read the article? Apparently not very well.  No where in it does it state that he's on a majority of "Do not draft lists".  It's been REPORTED, "According to sources, numerous NHL teams have Ho-Sang on their Do Not Draft List."  Numerous does not mean half, numerous doesn't even mean 10 teams.  It also states that of the 18 teams that interviewed him, they were surprised by his personality.  Don't insult my intelligence because you read too much into an article.  Conformity is not necessary to be an NHL player.  There's something called maturity, something he may lack and as he grows old, he should also grow into a more mature and laid back personality.  A team-first mentality can also be taught.  An 18 year-old can still act like a sponge and absorb things, like how to use his teammates effectively and such. 

Edited by RizzMB30

Mark Edwards of Hockey Prospect said that Ho-Sang reminds him of a better skating Rob Schremp.

Mark Edwards of Hockey Prospect said that Ho-Sang reminds him of a better skating Rob Schremp.

So in other words, he might be good enough to play in the KHL instead of the SEL when he's in his late 20s?

Edited by Daniel

Schremp's major issue was his skating.  Well that and his defense.  He still could've had a nice NHL career if he had been able to fix one of those things.

Ho Sang didn't exactly have the best team around him in Windsor.  And yeah, some of these quotes aren't the best.  Still, it's exactly the kind of chance I'd take at 30 - forget these 3rd line types, the NJ organization has plenty of them.  Go for a home run.  Some guys say they're going to be the best and then back it up.

Schremp's major issue was his skating.  Well that and his defense.  He still could've had a nice NHL career if he had been able to fix one of those things.

Ho Sang didn't exactly have the best team around him in Windsor.  And yeah, some of these quotes aren't the best.  Still, it's exactly the kind of chance I'd take at 30 - forget these 3rd line types, the NJ organization has plenty of them.  Go for a home run.  Some guys say they're going to be the best and then back it up.

You just want NJ to draft him so when he scores you can write "Ho Dang!" on game day chat.