thefiestygoat

2014 Draft Thread

552 posts in this topic

Maybe all that. Or they just know that none if these players will be affecting the Devils for at least 3 - 4 years so a log jam at defense now means nothing to the make up of the team.

These guys spent years studying these players. They probably know more about their potential and skills then what we learned from stat lines and YouTube videos. I'm not thrilled with some of these picks but I'm aware that thought went into them. Having a vision you don't agree with doesn't make them oblivious.

In a logic world yes that would make sense. But we're talking Devils world here. Where a bottom 3 goalie gets important games over a top 3 goalie. Where a top 4 pick who needs to play is sitting while 2 horrible dman are playing over him. playing 2 goons over josefson against teams with zero goons etc etc etc etc we all know the drill. 

Lou, Conte and Deboer all have one thing in common. they are incredibly and beyond belief stubbornn and will stick to their guns no matter what the consequences are. Thats hard to deny. Just like anything. When you always bet on black, you're gonna win thats for sure its 50/50.

People can go on and on about how Lou built a winning team in the past. Yes it was awesome and all... but just like if Mario Lemieux was still playing... no matter what he did when he was in his prime... if he'd go 45 turnovers during the first 20 minutes... still fair to point it out.

Yes he built a great team but once we had our core down. Its wayyyyyyyy easier to keep it running even if you make mistakes. Now we dont have a great core and his mistakes or bad decisions are showing a lot more

Edited by SterioDesign

In a logic world yes that would make sense. But we're talking Devils world here. Where a bottom 3 goalie gets important games over a top 3 goalie. Where a top 4 pick who needs to play is sitting while 2 horrible dman are playing over him. playing 2 goons over josefson against teams with zero goons etc etc etc etc we all know the drill. 

Lou, Conte and Deboer all have one thing in common. they are incredibly and beyond belief stubbornn and will stick to their guns no matter what the consequences are. Thats hard to deny. Just like anything. When you always bet on black, you're gonna win thats for sure its 50/50.

People can go on and on about how Lou built a winning team in the past. Yes it was awesome and all... but just like if Mario Lemieux was still playing... no matter what he did when he was in his prime... if he'd go 45 turnovers during the first 20 minutes... still fair to point it out.

Yes he built a great team but once we had our core down. Its wayyyyyyyy easier to keep it running even if you make mistakes. Now we dont have a great core and his mistakes or bad decisions are showing a lot more

Maybe he's rebuilding a core, and maybe that takes years? It took him 7 years to build that first Cup team, after all. 

Maybe he's rebuilding a core, and maybe that takes years? It took him 7 years to build that first Cup team, after all. 

you'd like to think Larsson would be in that core but no... he played 2 old turds over him all year.

you'd like to think Larsson would be in that core but no... he played 2 old turds over him all year.

Well, no. Mark Fayne played over Larsson most of the year. That's who has the same game as Larsson. And you act like a 21 year old playing big minutes in the AHL is somehow bad or a demotion. It's good for his development and good for his experience. 

Well, no. Mark Fayne played over Larsson most of the year. That's who has the same game as Larsson. And you act like a 21 year old playing big minutes in the AHL is somehow bad or a demotion. It's good for his development and good for his experience.

It would've been quite entertaining if this board existed in the early days of Nieds' career. He got more sh!t from the fans than Larsson early on. Worked out okay.

It would've been quite entertaining if this board existed in the early days of Nieds' career. He got more sh!t from the fans than Larsson early on. Worked out okay.

He did, but Lemaire also got a fair amount of blame for not letting Nieds take more chances.

you're missing my point here. Are you saying Larsson shouldnt be playing over at least one of Sal or Volch? 

Larsson decided to leave his bonus on the table when he got drafted cause we were in a bad spot and it would help the team and it would also helped him playing in the NHL right away. And there he was doing great with Gelinas and he got stuck in the AHL for the rest of the season. He can't be happy about that seeing those 2 old farts playing over him.

Edited by SterioDesign

He did, but Lemaire also got a fair amount of blame for not letting Nieds take more chances.

True, Lemaire did get flack for that. But I remember soooo many fans wanting to trade Nieds. It was ridiculous how impatient people were being. The moral of the story is that defensemen take a long time to develop. Larsson just recently became legally able to drink. People need to relax about his development.
2 people like this

you're missing my point here. Are you saying Larsson shouldnt be playing over at least one of Sal or Volch? 

No, I'm saying Larsson has a different role and is being primed to play bigger minutes. He's going to be getting Andy Greene level minutes eventually. You always talk about "big picture". Well, this is big picture. Larsson should be a cornerstone of the Devils blue line for the next 10-15 years. It's best for him to develop correctly. A top pair of him and Merrill should be great in a few years. 

I'd like Sal gone. I loved him in 2012 even before the playoff run and I have a feeling he's a big piece of the locker room and the leadership, but he's deteriorated on the ice and it's not worth it.  Volch at least has some worth. He's just not worth 4 million a year. 

The only pick I hate is Brandon Baddock and even he fills a need at the AHL level. If he turns out to be a spare 4th line enforcer who can skate than this pick is still a bonus.

If NJ can pick up Sekac then this becomes a productive offseason for restocking our cupboard. 

Edited by Jas0nMacIsaac

The only pick I hate is Brandon Baddock and even he fills a need at the AHL level. If he turns out to be a spare 4th line enforcer who can skate than this pick is still a bonus.

If NJ can pick up Sekac then this becomes a productive offseason for restocking our cupboard. 

I still want Sekac preetty bad.  I'd love for him to sign his ELC with us. 

1 person likes this

Why is everyone enamored with Sekac. Good, not great numbers in the KHL...guess he's young though

Why is everyone enamored with Sekac. Good, not great numbers in the KHL...guess he's young though

Not many 21 year olds ever put up better numbers than Sekac in the KHL.

I'm in support of signing Sekac since he has upside and the Devils could use a prospect like him, but like you mentioned, I'm not necessarily enamored with him. I think he's more likely to end up being a solid AHL player than a NHL guy. That's not to say they shouldn't take a chance on him or he won't make it but we only have 1 breakout year in the KHL to really judge him.

I'm in support of signing Sekac since he has upside and the Devils could use a prospect like him, but like you mentioned, I'm not necessarily enamored with him. I think he's more likely to end up being a solid AHL player than a NHL guy. That's not to say they shouldn't take a chance on him or he won't make it but we only have 1 breakout year in the KHL to really judge him.

Sounds Brunneresque.

You can follow Quenneville on Twitter @jaquinder88. He tweeted earlier that his grandfather passed. At least he got to see him get drafted.

After digesting the draft, I'm disappointed in our draft choices after Quenville.  What happened to BPA? And most all the choices were a "specific (pigion holed"). They new these (prospects) abilities and targeted them specifically for that. Connor Chatham might sniff 4th line duties. Maybe Jacobs has a shot at making the nhl. I so hope I'm dead wrong about this. It seems instead of a goal scorer,  they were looking for a Dwight King type. Hopefully they got him. The Devils drafted for "grit' for the most part. I love my devils, but I no longer have faith in scouting staff.

Let's go Devils!

I thought there was a thread for prospects camp by Fiesty.   Anyway, not sure who else is coming besides the 3 mentioned earlier.

After digesting the draft, I'm disappointed in our draft choices after Quenville.  What happened to BPA? And most all the choices were a "specific (pigion holed"). They new these (prospects) abilities and targeted them specifically for that. Connor Chatham might sniff 4th line duties. Maybe Jacobs has a shot at making the nhl. I so hope I'm dead wrong about this. It seems instead of a goal scorer,  they were looking for a Dwight King type. Hopefully they got him. The Devils drafted for "grit' for the most part. I love my devils, but I no longer have faith in scouting staff.

Let's go Devils!

Lou claimed that Jacobs was really high on their draft board, enough so that they felt they couldn't pass him up based on what they thought of the next forward available. Some draft guru types gave Jacobs a first round rating, and really liked the pick. 

A lil off topic but, anyone else think the draft pic (HF),  C. Bleakley looks like Jonah Hill and has double chin at 18 yrs. old?

Seems like much of the disappointment with the Devils draft last month, both here and on other Devils forums, has dissipated after the free agent moves and re-signings. Some of the anti management, anti coach sentiment after last season has subsided quite a lot in just over a months time.

Edited by Unthinkable

All things considered, I think Lou had a very good offseason. Signing Schneider and Greene and getting Cammalleri helps a lot

Seems like much of the disappointment with the Devils draft last month, both here and on other Devils forums, has dissipated after the free agent moves and re-signings. Some of the anti management, anti coach sentiment after last season has subsided quite a lot in just over a months time.

Just wait until PDB sits Larsson again, it'll be back  :thumbsup: