Pitkanen Out for Season -- Possible Trade Partner

Daniel

Announced yesterday. 

http://espn.go.com/nhl/story/_/id/9662522/carolina-hurricanes-defenseman-joni-pitkanen-2013-14-season

I looked at Capgeek, and without knowing too much about their prospects, Carolina now has six defenseman, if you assume Ryan Murphy will make the team, which is what everyone expects.  Admittedly I don't know how good some of their NHL roster defenseman are.

That said, I wonder if Carolina is a good spot for one of the Devils' arguably NHL ready defensive prospects, namely Gelinas or Urbom.  Jason MacIsaac brought up the idea of trading one of those guys for Victor Rask.  Kind of a high risk/high reward prospect, which is probably the best the Devils could hope for, especially considering that the NHL roster is pretty crowded right now.

Could be... I wonder how the new division will affect who Lou does business with. We rarely traded within the Atlantic. The only one I can remember is with the Islanders.

It's much more difficult now to avoid trading inside of the division, since there are two less of them. 

Edited by Daniel

NJ has dealt with Pittsburgh too, and obviously they've made plenty of deals with the Islanders.  You can't afford to cut off 6 trade partners arbitrarily.

That said, I don't see Carolina dealing for a prospect like that.  I could see them dealing for Mark Fayne, but if you're going to deal for a prospect you may as well just sign a veteran and hope you can get someone better, whether by improvement in the minors or some other way.

NJ has dealt with Pittsburgh too, and obviously they've made plenty of deals with the Islanders.  You can't afford to cut off 6 trade partners arbitrarily.

That said, I don't see Carolina dealing for a prospect like that.  I could see them dealing for Mark Fayne, but if you're going to deal for a prospect you may as well just sign a veteran and hope you can get someone better, whether by improvement in the minors or some other way.

The advantage of Urbom or Gelinas over Fayne or another veteran is that you have them under control for the foreseeable future, and they're less expensive (Fayne is a UFA after this season).  Obviously depends on whether Rutherford feels they're legitimate NHLers right now even if it's on anyone's radar.

The advantage of Urbom or Gelinas over Fayne or another veteran is that you have them under control for the foreseeable future, and they're less expensive (Fayne is a UFA after this season).  Obviously depends on whether Rutherford feels they're legitimate NHLers right now even if it's on anyone's radar.

MacLean has some experience with Urbom, but other than that, we're back where we've been all summer - I do not get the sense that other teams' prospects are well-scouted by NHL teams.